OR - BearVault BV450 - Derek

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 16, 2010
      Thank you for taking the time to edit these! I have a few more kitchen-related ORs I'm ready to submit!

      > http://tinyurl.com/29eu87o

      Best,

      ~derek

      # # #

      BearVault BV450 Bear Resistant Food Container

      Owner Review by Derek Hansen

      DATE: September 9, 2010

      Photo courtesy REI.com

      TESTER INFORMATION

      Name Derek Hansen
      Age 34
      Gender Male
      Height 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email Address derek.daught.hansen.at.mac (without cheese).dot.kahm
      City, State, Country Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical weekend pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food and water. Because I pack less than 20 lb (9 kg), I prefer lightweight trail-running shoes. I prefer backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      MANUFACTURER BearVault, (SAn Diego, California, USA)
      YEAR OF MANUFACTURE 2009
      MANUFACTURER'S WEBSITE bearvault.com
      MSRP N/A
      CAPACITY 440 cu in (7.2 L)
      COLOR Clear blue plastic with a black plastic lid
      LISTED WEIGHT 2 lb 1 oz (0.94 kg)
      MEASURED WEIGHT 33.25 oz (942.6 g)
      LISTED FEATURES Four-day capacity; "Super rugged transparent polycarbonate housing resists impacts without shattering! Innovative patent pending design so you can open and close the lid without tools! Extra wide, rain proof opening provides full access for loading, unloading, and finding items! Built in guides keep tie down straps in place so extra carrying case is not needed to attach to backpack!"; rain-proof opening.
      WARRANTY Not listed
      LISTED DIMENSIONS 8.7 x 8.3 in (22.1 x 21.1 cm)
      MEASURED DIMENSIONS 8.5 x 8 in (21.6 x 20.32 cm)
      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The BearVault BV450 is a polycarbonate food canister used to protect food and other "smellable" items from animals, specifically bears. The BV450 features a wide-mouth opening with a lid that recesses slightly into the body of the canister. The lid screws onto the canister and features two tabs or snaps that secure the lid to the body of the canister.

      Instructions on the top of the lid inform

      To open, when each snap hits housing bump slide fingernail down onto top of snap.
      Press in with fingernail on textured area only and unscrew.

      Additional instructions state:

      To close, screw securely past both snaps.
      Close fully before using as chair!!
      No DEET on or inside!!

      The plastic is very rigid and feels solid. On one side of the canister there are multiple bumps. On the bottom are a series of ridges where a strap can be centered to help secure the canister to a pack.

      FIELD USE CONDITIONS

      I purchased the BV450 after moving to Flagstaff, Arizona. The mean elevation is 7000 ft (2100 m). My first trips were in the early winter with low temperatures around 40 F (4 C). I have since taken the BV450 on 6 backpacking trips, the most recent was an overnight trip to Fisher Point.

      Aug 13-14 ~ Fisher Point, Coconino National Forest, Arizona. Another S24O trip just outside Flagstaff. The 9-mile (14.5 km) trip took us through skunk canyon (6600 ft/2011 m) and up to the top of Fisher Point (7000 ft/2134 km). We pitched our hammocks on the edge of a cliff. Overnight low was 48 F (9 C).

      FIELD USE RESULTS

      After moving to Flagstaff, Arizona, the Ponderosa pines proved difficult at first for me to use my typical bear bagging techniques, so I opted for a food canister. My research led me to the BearVault BV450 because I liked the wide-mouth opening, tool-less lid, and see-through side walls. I read that Flagstaff is black bear country, and so I thought it was a good idea to invest in a food canister that was certified for bears. The BV450 has an upgraded lock enclosure as there was a bear in the east coast who was able to "bite" and open the original single-tabbed enclosure. As this was an isolated incident, the BV450 is still an approved food canister in bear country.

      I normally pack pretty light, and as this was my first time carrying a food canister, my first impression was the weight. The BV450 is much heavier than just a nylon stuff sack and some twine, but it is very convenient, especially since I had a tough time at first hanging in the Ponderosa trees.

      Most of my trips have been just one or two days overnight, but I often packed the BV450 with enough food for three or four days since I carried for my children and myself on many trips. I found the BV450 lives up to its capacity claims. However, I also like to store other "smellable" items away from sniffing bruins, including toothpaste, bug repellant, and the like. On a few trips, I even added my cooking pot and stove items in the canister without problem.

      Opening the lid is not too difficult, but I have found that in the winter when my hands are cold and the plastic less forgiving, it takes a little time and force to pop the tabs. I've hurt my fingers and bruised my pride on a few occasions and I wrestled on the ground trying to get the lid off.

      On a few trips, I even used the BV450 as a chair, but I do not often find the canister the most comfortable item to sit on in the backcountry (I prefer to lounge in my hammock instead).

      After several trips using the BV450, I have figured out how to bear bag in Ponderosa trees, so I have been leaving the canister more often at home in favor of lighter options. The few occasions when I pull it out have been when I planned to "be lazy" or when I know I'll be hiking well into the night and I don't want to spend a lot of time hanging a bag in a tree.

      SUMMARY

      The canister is definitely easy to use and deploy in the field. It's a bit heavy compared to nylon stuff sacks for bear bags, but its rugged design is a deterrent to small and large rodents alike.

      PRO--Rugged. Wide-mouth opening. No tools needed to open. Doubles as a chair. Triples as a camp drum.

      CON--Heavy (compared to bear bags). Lid can be hard to open when it's cold outside.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • themiddlesister1951
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 10, 2010
          Derek,

          Thank you for an easy to read and edit report. I love the pictures and your format adds to the appeal of the report, not to mention the good info!

          Anyway, I have only one real edit for you and a second optional one. Please remember to delete your test file when you upload in the brand new folder at http://tinyurl.com/2cfzjta

          Thanks,
          Kathy
          MANUFACTURER BearVault, (SAn Diego, California, USA)
          EDIT: Fix "San" - small "a".

          The BearVault BV450 is a polycarbonate food canister used to protect food and other "smellable" items from animals, specifically bears.
          Edit: MS Word dinged "smellable" - if that is a quote from BearVault, of course it should stand, but if not, perhaps you should come up with another word. Personally, I get the idea and could accept it as "style".