REPOST: OR-REI Traverse Shocklight Trekking Poles-Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2010
      REI Traverse Shocklight Trekking Poles

      Reviewer Information
      Name:  Mike Pearl
      Age:  36
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  5’9” (1.75 Meters)
      Weight:  155 Pounds (70 Kilograms)
      Email address:  mikepearl36@ yahoo.com
      City: Woodstock
      State: Vermont
      Country: USA
      Date:  August 10, 2010

      Backpacking Background:  My backpacking experience began six years ago.  While
      most trips are for two or three days, I have taken week long trips a few times.

      I am aware of pack weight but it is not my primary concern.  I strive for
      enjoyable outings with functional and reliable gear.  My hiking usually takes me

      into woodland mountainous terrain.  I have spent the night in all but snowy
      conditions.  But will day hike throughout the year in all conditions.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Komperdell for Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI)
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Web site: www.rei.com
      Listed Weight: 18.8 ounces (553 grams)
      Measured Weight: 20.29 ounces (575 grams)
      MSRP: $79.50 (US Dollars)
      Product Description: The product comes without any packaging.  A thin plastic
      cord secures the two wrist strap keeping the poles together.  The hiking poles
      are

      constructed of 7075-T6 aluminum.  The poles are adjustable with three
      telescoping sections. This is done by twisting the poles at the junctions of the
      three sections. Twisting the poles counterclockwise will loosen the section
      allowing adjustment to desired length.  Twisting the pole clockwise will then
      lock the pole to the set length.  Poles have a minimum length of 29 inches (74
      cm) and a maximum length of 56 inches (142cm).  There is an anti-shock
      absorption feature with the ability to lock out the pole making it rigid.  An
      easy quarter turn at the upper section engages and disengages the shock
      mechanism. The hand grips are

      ergonomically shaped. The grips are covered with foam and have adjustable wrist
      straps. The ends have tungsten carbide tips with removable plastic covers for
      storing the poles.  Poles come with plastic removable baskets.

      Field Information
      I purchased REI Traverse Shocklinght Trekking poles about six months ago.  I
      have used them on roughly six day hikes and one overnight hike.  The day hikes
      varied in distances from 2-8 miles (1.2-13 km), with kids in tow.  These are
      easy going trails with gradual elevation changes.
      The overnight trip was a 24-mile (38.64 KM) section of the
      Appalachian Trail in Vermont.  This section travels through part of the upper
      Connecticut River valley.  The trail takes one through a patchwork of wooded and

      cleared hills, ridges and valleys.  It crosses farmlands, logging and gravel
      roads as well as paved roads through towns, over the White River, and under an
      Interstate Highway.  The trail is mostly hard packed dirt and scattered rocks.
      Due to the weather a few over the ankle mud patches.  Elevation ranges from 400
      feet (120 meters) to 1,800 feet (549 meters).  The temperature ranged from lows
      of 50F (10C) to highs of 80F (26.7C).  It lightly rained all morning on the
      first day of our two-day hike.
      The poles are useful securing balance on the rain slick rocks. The poles feel
      stable while bearing weight.  On the uphill sections the poles are helpful
      maintaining a steady pace. They feel balanced when moving forward and create a
      pleasant rhythm. The hand grips are comfortable and the straps provide a feeling
      of secure attachment.  The anti-shock becomes apparent and appreciated on the
      steep downhill areas.  The anti-shock gives a cushion to quick, hard descends.
      The anti-shock performs nicely without making any noise. I like the length the
      poles collapse to for storage and lashing to my pack.  I have experienced
      trouble with two of the features.  One is engaging and disengaging the lock out
      of the shock.  I seem to sometimes unlock the telescope adjustment of the upper
      section inadvertently.  This causes the upper section to shorten.  The other is
      with the baskets.  I tried repeatedly to remove the baskets to the point I
      feared damaging the poles, but I cannot get the baskets to budge.

      Summary
      Overall I like the REI Traverse Shocklight Trekking Poles.  The poles perform
      great at a good price.  I plan to use them again on future outings.

      Positives
      Price
      Ease of Use
      Comfortable

      Negatives

      Unable to remove baskets
      Mistaking telescope lock and anti-shock mechanism

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2010
        Hi Mike,

        You must have missed this part in the earlier post from me.

        You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test
        Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;
        http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

        You need to put the HTML version in the Owner Review test folder as that is what I will edit from the rest of the way. Plus that is what will be posted to the site once it is perfect. (Well, pretty darn good at least... ;-)

        Shoot me a link once you get it loaded to the test folder please.

        Ray
      • Ray

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10, 2010
            Hi Ray,
            Thank you for the editing help.
            I have tried unsuccessfully to upload. I posted a help request to the UpLoadHelp group. Awaiting reply.
            Best,
            Mike

            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > You must have missed this part in the earlier post from me.
            >
            > You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test
            > Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;
            > http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa
            >
            > You need to put the HTML version in the Owner Review test folder as that is what I will edit from the rest of the way. Plus that is what will be posted to the site once it is perfect. (Well, pretty darn good at least... ;-)
            >
            > Shoot me a link once you get it loaded to the test folder please.
            >
            > Ray

          • Ray
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2010
              I am going to email you a guide I wrote for my mentees. See if that helps.

              Ray

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "mikepearl36" <mikepearl36@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ray,
              > Thank you for the editing help.
              > I have tried unsuccessfully to upload. I posted a help request to the UpLoadHelp group. Awaiting reply.
              > Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
              > Best,
              > Mike
              >
              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <rayestrella@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Mike,
              > >
              > > You must have missed this part in the earlier post from me.
              > >
              > > You can also put a HTML copy in the Owner Review Test
              > > Folder. It is found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page or here;
              > > http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa
              > >
              > > You need to put the HTML version in the Owner Review test folder as that is what I will edit from the rest of the way. Plus that is what will be posted to the site once it is perfect. (Well, pretty darn good at least... ;-)
              > >
              > > Shoot me a link once you get it loaded to the test folder please.
              > >
              > > Ray

            • Ray
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 13, 2010
                Hi Mike,

                OK, much better. We are getting close. There are a few more edits and some formatting suggestions. One thing I noticed is the web site URL is not active (clickable) in your HTML version. It needs to be.

                Once fixed please post a new version in the test folder and REPOST here.

                Ray

                *** Poles have a minimum length of 29 inches (74 cm) and a maximum length of 56 inches (142cm).

                EDIT: need a space at 142 cm

                ***Field Information

                Edit: Mike, having this all as one giant paragraph makes it a chore to read and messes with your flow. Why not break it up a bit? Maybe list the places that you used them and the conditions. Then a new paragraph or three about how they worked for you.

                *** day hikes varied in distances from 2-8 miles (1.2-13 km), with kids in tow. These are easy going trails with gradual elevation changes. The overnight trip was a 24-mile (38.64 KM)

                EDITS: you can round off the distances, plus your conversion is off. 2-8 miles (3-13 km), 24-mile (39 km)

                *** Due to the weather a few over the ankle mud patches.

                EDIT: Due to the weather "there were" a few over the ankle mud patches.

                *** The temperature ranged from lows of 50F (10C) to highs of 80F (26.7C).

                EDIT: need spaces at all the numbers, like this. 50 F (10 C)

                ***SUMMARY
                ***Summary

                EDIT: get rid of one of those please

                ***THINGS I LIKE
                Positives
                THINGS I DON'T LIKE
                Negatives

                EDITS: same thing. Head it one way or the other, not both. If you want to use "Positives" instead of "Things I like" just replace the wording in the Report Writer with "Positives"

                (You can change the names of the sections just by deleting them and writing over it. Or just delete it and leave it blank and the section will disappear.)