OWNER REVIEW - Kelty Redcloud 5000 W

  • Lisa Phair
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2010
      Kelty Redcloud 5000 W

      Biographical Information

      Name: Lisa Phair
      Age: 28
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'11" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)
      Email Address: phairl@...
      City, State, Country: Albany Oregon, USA
      Date: 29 August 2010

      Backpacking Background: I grew up in Alaska and spent mainly spring and summer
      weekends backpacking, including several longer backpacking trips, some up to
      three weeks in length. Living now in Oregon, I find myself a bit busier with my
      husband and I both attending school full-time and with a one year-old; however,
      we tend to get out for weekend backpacking trips five to fifteen times per year,
      as well as day-long hikes. All of my experience is primarily during spring,
      summer, and fall.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Kelty
      Year of manufacture: 2007
      Listed weight: 5 lbs 6 oz. (2.43 kg)
      MSRP: $199.99
      Volume: 5000 cu in (82 L)
      Dimensions: L 35" x W 17.5" x D 15" (88.9 x 44.4 x 38.1 cm respectively)

      Product Description: The Kelty Redcloud 5000 W arrived to me with an ample
      instructional booklet and fully packed with packing paper to allow me a better
      idea of how I might best be able to pack the backpack. The backpack has a
      sleeping bag compartment accessible from a divider on the inside of the pack or
      an external zipper. Additionally, there are two side zippered pockets with mesh
      water bottle pockets directlty beneath. There is a daisy chain secured to the
      front of the pack and a top zippered pouch that can be removed and used as a hip
      pack. This pack is also compatible with hydration sleeves and has plenty
      compression straps for maximizing or minimizing load.

      Field Information

      This pack was primarily tested during a six-week period in various parts of
      Europe: Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Italy, and Greece. The
      terrain varied greatly according to our activities--anything from city streets
      to the rolling hills and steeper ascents. As such, the elevation at times of
      use varied from sea-level to 10,922 feet (3329 m). Weather conditions varied as
      well, ranging from temperatures 90+ degrees Fahrenheit (32.2 degrees Celsius)
      down to as little as 10 degrees Fahrenheit (-12.2 degrees Celsius) and included
      clear weather, fog, pouring rain, and generally overcast conditions.

      This backpack performed best in clear, warm weather, as was the case during much
      of the testing period. In below-freezing temperatures, the fabric was stiff and
      made me feel as though it could be punctured fairly easily. In wet conditions,
      this pack absolutely did not hold up. Water didn't even repel off of the sides
      for more than a few brief minutes.
      That said, this pack was exceptionally roomy with convenient access points,
      plenty of pockets, and many different options to make stowing, stashing, and
      carrying gear easy. When full, the side zippered pockets interfered with full
      access to the mesh water bottle pockets which could be a bit frustrating at
      times. Also, the top lid pouch slid forward and created a bit of
      gapping--though not a big deal. I was a bit wary when adjusting this backpack
      to fit because it doesn't look as "plush" as some packs, however, it was very
      comfortable and very easy to adjust both empty and full. It handled heavy loads
      very well--sometimes in excess of 60 pounds (27.2 kg.). Additionally, the pack
      was very simple to "break down" for cleaning and was logical in how to put it
      back together.

      Summary

      This is a great backpack, especially for the price. It held up well, and
      continues to do so. It is comfortable to carry, even with heavier loads and it
      has very convenient gear accessibility options as well as organizing
      availability.

      Pros: lightweight, easy to adjust, gender-specific torso adjustments, plenty of
      pockets, accessibility, large enough to fit all of your backpacking needs, small
      enough to count as a carry-on on airplanes.

      Cons: not water-resistant, fabric appears rather cheap and doesn't seem as
      sturdy with weather changes, top lid doesn't stay seated well.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2010
          RICHARD - Lisa Phair(1) - Kelty Redcloud 5000 W - Posted Aug 29(msg#79452), Taken Sep 8, Edit Sept 9(79492), Follow-up sent Oct 9

          Hi Lisa,
          Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Richard way back on 9 Sept. Please refer to message number 79492 at

          Edit Administration Manager