ATTN: Jamie D -Matt Mayfield - Re: OR- Trangia 27-

  • matt mayfield
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2010
      Thanks Jamie D- I did as instructed and clickable www.mysigg.com one has been
      uploaded to the site.
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Bottles/SIGG%20Bottles/Owner%20Review%20by%20Matt%20Mayfield/

      Thanks for your help - below is the 27 stove review again.

      REVIEWER INFORMATION

      Name: Matt Mayfield
      Age: 33
      Sex: Male
      Height: 5 ft 11 in (1.8 m)
      Weight: 170 lb (77 k)
      Email: mattmayfield1 at hotmail dot com
      City, State, and Country: Kansas City, Missouri, United States

      BACKGROUND: I have been canoeing, camping and backpacking for 17 years. I
      typically camp in all seasons in the Midwest including deep forest, river
      bluffs, open prairie as well as hobo camps. Occasionally I will have various
      mountain, desert, and coastal excursions. My typical multi-day pack has a weight
      of 35 lbs (15.9 Kg).

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Trangia
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Model: Trangia 27-5 UL
      Listed Weight: 1.87 lbs (.84 kg)
      Weight as Delivered: 1.84 lbs (.83 kg)
      Height: 5.56 in (14.2 cm)
      Width: 7 in (18 cm)
      MSRP US $91.50
      Material: Aluminum/ Hard-Anodized Aluminum
      Items included: 2 Non-stick 1.0 litre saucepans
      1 Non-stick fry pan, 18 cm
      2 Windshields (upper and lower)
      1 Burner with lid
      1 Simmer ring
      1 Handle
      1 Strap

      Product Description

      The Trangia 27 is an alcohol stove comprising of an alcohol burner, two
      pots/bowls, a pot lid/frying pan and a pot grip (to grip onto the lip of the
      pots and pans), a base that lifts the burner off the ground and has vents to
      provide airflow and a wind screen to protect the flame. The burner itself is
      made of brass and comes with a screw-on lid that can contain any unspent fuel it
      also can be used to extinguish the flame. Also accompanying the lid is an
      adjustable "simmer ring" that can be used to knock down the heat output. With
      the exception of the burner, lid, and simmer ring (made of brass), the kit comes
      standard made with aluminum and the option of hard-anodized aluminum with the
      exception of the grip, which is only available in the standard aluminum. The
      whole kit is made to where all components nest inside each other into a single
      easy to pack kit.
      Along with the airflow holes on the base, is a larger hole for the option of
      using a multi-fuel stove in lieu of the alcohol stove. The pots in the 27-model
      kit are 1.0 litter (33.8 fl oz) and the frying pan is 7 in (18 cm). On this
      particular kit, the base is aluminum with the pots and lid/pan made of
      hard-anodized aluminum. This feature makes them stronger, lighter and less prone
      to food sticking. It also does not leach any flavors or dangerous impurities
      that untreated aluminum is suspected to.

      FIELD USE

      I have carried the stove on many trips over the past 13 months. I have spent 27
      (appropriate number) nights with the Trangia 27.I have used it on many
      backpacking excursions, car camping and other scenarios.
      It has been used in night and day, light rain, cold and hot weather.
      Unfortunately I have not used it above 5000 feet (1,524 m) above sea level.

      The stove is very simple to use. The burner is filled with fuel and placed into
      the base. The windscreen locks onto the base after the burner is ignited. I find
      the best way is to use a flint steel to send a spark into the burner. Caution is
      a must as sometimes the flame is not visible. Instead of flint steel one can use
      a stick to dip the end into the fuel filled burner, light the end of the stick
      and ignite with that. Once lit, the heat from the flame causes the fuel to
      vaporize, forcing it out of 23 or 24 jets around the top of the burner, and
      producing a steady cooking flame.

      On a warm day of 72 F (22.2 C) the boiling time of two cups of water (0.47 L)
      with the lid/pan in place is approximately 5-7 minutes with about 15 ml (.5 fl
      oz) of fuel consumption. This is considerably longer than iso/butane stoves,
      which I use as well, but for me goes unnoticed without a stopwatch. For certain
      it might seem longer for those who are not part of the cooking process.

      One occasion I used the stove at a daytime temperature of 34 F (1 C). The
      boiling time of the same amount of liquid as stated above was approximately
      10-11 minutes. This will of course consume more fuel. I also cooked chili,
      sausages and eggs.
      The cooking times went unnoticed, however I did notice more fuel consumption
      than at warmer temperatures.

      Unfortunately one cannot regulate the flame with ease as the simmer ring has a
      sliding disc over the ring (imagine the phases of the moon the open ring is the
      moon and the disc represents the shadow) and will smother the flame if
      positioned anything beyond one quarter to half-waxed point.

      I have found that food does stick to the pan if sautéing. This makes cleaning in
      the field troublesome. Over time this has made me change my cooking methods.
      Instead of frying my sausages/links/bratwurst with a type of oil I will simmer
      them in beer or water. Eggs I use a generous amount olive oil and cook at the
      lowest flame the simmer ring will allow and stay on top of it. The stove is
      wonderful for dehydrated foods, ramen noodles, coffee, teas, and ECT.

      In my kit I have included the optional kettle that nestles along with the rest
      of the kit adding a mere 5 ounces (.14 kg) while boiling two cups of water at an
      even faster time than in the pots due to the smaller space as the kettle for the
      27 series has a capacity of .6 litre (20 fl oz). This is perfect for coffee for
      two individuals.

      Maintaining the stove in the field does not get any easier. There is nothing to
      break and nothing to maintain except refueling. I carry a 20 fl oz (.59 l) MSR
      liquid fuel bottle that is good up to a week for me.

      The fuel can be found most places. Denatured alcohol, methylated spirits can be
      found at most hardware stores. Grain alcohol can be found at most liquor stores
      while you stock up on the beer and wine. HEET, which is a product to help start
      your car in sub freezing temperatures, can be found in most gas stations or auto
      section of grocery stores. It is for the most part universal as far as finding
      fuel in the United States and most other countries. One can even use kerosene or
      gasoline in desperate situations (caution advised).

      If any alcohol is accidentally spilled, there is no damaging effect to the
      environment as opposed to petroleum based alternative stoves out there.
      Also there are no cans to dispose of, as most containers are recyclable. (You
      cannot recycle iso/butane canisters).

      There are two things make the Trangia experience exceptionally better for me.
      One is the fact that there really is nothing that can fail as long as you have
      fuel and a way of lighting it. Secondly it is virtually silent. No hissing or
      blasting sounds to pollute the wonderful scenery I am there to enjoy.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Lightweight
      Environmentally sound
      Nothing to break/fail
      Quiet
      Fuel availability
      Compact

      THINKS I DISLIKE

      Heavier than other systems
      Carrying fuel which can get heavy
      Longer boiling time, however not troublesome (maybe for some)

      SUMMARY

      The Trangia 27 is a great quiet, compact lightweight stove that adds a touch of
      luxury in a light backpacking experience and is environmentally sound and
      mentally sound as there are no parts to wear out or break.

      -Matt Mayfield

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • rescue@corridor9.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2010
          Hello Matt,

          I'll be your editor for the following Owner Review. I understand this is
          your 3rd Owner Review, and you're well on your way to joining the test
          team. It's customary after you've completed two ORs to start uploading the
          HTML version to the Owner Reviews Test folder when you submit your text
          version to the list. I do not see your HTML version in that folder. Please
          upload your HTML version here: http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

          Thanks
          AB

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2010