OWNER REVIEW - Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack

  • chadarees@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2010
      MAXPEDITION FATBOY VERSIPACK
      BY CHAD REES
      OR
      August 23, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chad Rees
      EMAIL: chadarees@...
      AGE: 24
      LOCATION: Seattle, WA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 210 lb (95.30 kg)

      Being new to the Backpacking sport, I find my experience to be good for the amateurs. I started recently backpacking in the last year, but I am not new to the outdoors. I have been doing day hikes for some time, from the easy hikes to the hardest in the Snohomish and King County areas. I plan to spend a lot more time in the wilderness as i seek a degree in outdoor recreation (with a future career as a Park Ranger.)

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Maxpedition
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.maxpedition.com" LINK TEXT = "www.maxpedition.com">>
      MSRP: US$69.99
      Other details: Right Sided Bag

      FIELD USE

      While you will not find this item in any backpacking or outdoor stores, I decided to review this item for BackpackGearTest because I use it on my outdoor excursions. I purchased this bag due to its secondary function as a concealed carry firearms bag. If you are about to stop reading here you should wait, because this bag dose not have built in holster, but a slip pocket with a hook and loop wall for adding accessories too. I did have to purchase a universal hook and loop holster to attach inside the bag. Anyway, This bag also servers as my survival kit that I always keep with me. This bag has many pockets for organizing all your everyday survival needs.
      This bag is a shoulder sling side bag. But with its built in belt loop and adjustable sling, I use it as a fanny pack or sorts. I am able to carry everything I need in here, while keeping everything organized for quick and easy access. (I am even able to grab the things I need with out even needing to look at or in the bag.) The front zipper pocket has all my little items, such as lighters, salt and pepper packets, and advil tablets. When you unclip the buckle on the front you have a front pouch, where i keep my notepad and pen. There is a zipper pouch, which I am able to keep my emergence fire starts, my wallet, cell phone, and a knife. The main compartment has a waterproof pouch, via a storm collar, where I keep a spare book for killing time as well as a bottle of water, extra energy bars, and my first aid pocket guide. The bag also had a side zipper pouch which keeps my extra flashlight batteries and compass with much room to spare. On the front side of the bag I keep my bear mace in the hook and loop secured pocket. There is still more to the bag, on the front of the shoulder sling right where it attached to the bag itself is another pocket, large enough for a MP3 player or cell phone, which is secured with a side release clip, next to the is a pocket slim enough for a pen or pencil. On the back side of the sling you will fine a carabiner style clip, which i find great for attaching my keys.
      According to the Maxpedition materials information page, their bags are composed of 1000-Denier water and abrasion resistant, light-weight ballistic nylon fabric which has been coated with DuPont Teflon fabric protector. I have used this bag for the last year and a half and have been though rain, sun, and snow with it and not once have I have an issue with water getting it any of the pockets or seeing any weather damage to the outside of the bag. (I have even once left it sitting on the ground durring the rain and had come back to find it half deep in a puddle of water. While the outside was wet nothing inside even got damp.)
      I do love this bag and take it everywhere with me. Depending on the situation I just change a few of the contents to fit my needs, but have never felt like this bag could not fit the requirments of my trip. Even if I have thought I needed an extra pocket on this bag, luckly Maxpedition makes several accessories that can attatch to the slings buckle clips, or the large patch of hook and loop on the top of the bag, seems the planed well headed for people to accessorize the bag and make it fit the person.

      SIGNATURE

      Chad Rees

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 28, 2010
        Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org Chad.

        Thank you for your Owner Review and your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now your review is lacking in some areas and cannot be accepted for editing at this time. It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. At this point you have two options:

        1) Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line.

        2) Take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below). In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

        Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

        Edit Administration Manager