Owner Review - REI Traverse Shocklight Trekking Poles

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2010
      REI Traverse Shocklight Trekking Poles
      Reviewer Information
      Name:  Mike Pearl
      Age:  36
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  5’9” (1.75 Meters)
      Weight:  155 Pounds (70 Kilograms)
      Email address:  mikepearl36@...
      City: Woodstock
      State: Vermont
      Country: USA
      Date:  August 10, 2010

      Backpacking Background:  My backpacking experience began six years ago.  While
      most trips are for two or three days, I have taking week long trips a few
      times.  I am aware of pack weight but it is not my primary concern.  I strive
      for enjoyable outings with functional and reliable gear.  My hiking usually
      takes me into woodland mountainous terrain.  I have spent the night in all but
      snowy conditions.  But will day hike throughout the year in all conditions.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Komperdell for REI
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Web site: www.rei.com
      Listed Weight: 18.8 ounces (553 grams)
      Measured Weight: 20.29 ounces (575 grams)
      MSRP: $79.50 (US Dollars)
      Product Description: The product comes without any packaging.  A thin plastic
      cord secures the two wrist straps keeping the poles together.  The hiking poles
      are constructed of 7075-T6 aluminum.  The poles are adjustable with three
      telescoping sections.  Poles have a minimum length of 29 inches (74 cm) and a
      maximum length of 56 inches (142cm).  There is an anti-shock absorption feature
      with the ability to lock out the pole making it rigid.  This is done by twisting
      the poles at the junction of the top and middle sections.  The hand grips are
      ergonomically shaped. The grips are covered with foam and have adjustable wrist
      straps. The ends have tungsten carbide tips with removable plastic covers for
      storing the poles.  Poles come with plastic removable baskets.

      Field Information
      I used the REI Traverse Shocklinght poles on a  24 mile (38.64 KM) section of
      the Appalachian Trail in Vermont.  This section travels through part of the
      upper Connecticut River valley.  The trail takes one through a patchwork of
      wooded and cleared hills, ridges and valleys.  It crosses farmlands, logging and
      gravel roads.  As well as paved roads through town, over the White River and
      under an Interstate Highway.  The trail is mostly hard packed dirt
      and protruding rocks. Due to the weather a few over the ankle mud patches cover
      the trail.  Elevation ranges from 400 feet (120 meters) to 1,800 feet (549
      meters).  The temperature ranged from lows of 50F (10C) to highs of 80F
      (26.7C).  It lightly rained all morning on the first day of our two day hike.
      The poles were useful securing balance on the rain slick rocks.  On the uphill
      sections the poles were helpful maintaining a steady pace.  The anti-shock
      became apparent and appreciated on the steep downhill areas.  We encountered a
      couple rain soaked waist high fields of grass. This provided a new function for
      the poles of knocking a good amount of water away before I passed through.

      Summary
      Overall I like the REI Traverse Shocklight Trekking Poles.  The hand grips are
      comfortable and the straps provide a feeling of secure attachment.  They feel
      balanced when moving forward.  The anti-shock gives a cushion to quick, hard
      descends.  The ability to collapse the poles is nice for storage and packing
      into the car.  I also found this handy for lashing poles to my pack.  During
      this outing with conditions encountered the poles performed well.  I look
      forward to using them snowshoeing this winter.
      A few negatives I experienced with the REI Traverse Shocklight Trekking Poles.
      I am not a fan of the sound made when the shaft of the pole strikes a rock.  But
      with some practice this is greatly minimized.  My only difficultly so far is
      engaging and disengaging the lock out of the shock.  I seem to sometimes unlock
      the telescope adjustment of the upper section inadvertently.  Lastly the
      removable baskets are not so removable.  I tried repeatedly to remove the
      baskets to the point I feared damaging the poles.  But I cannot get the baskets
      to budge.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2010
        Welcome to BGT Mike.

        Before I can accept your Owner Review you will need to clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. Please add an estimate of how many times you have used them to your report and then repost the REVISED version to the yahoo group.

        I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our edit queue and you will be on your way to getting an official edit.

        Thank you,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Admin Manager