Repost: OR - Osprey Map Wrap Map Case - Shane Williams

  • coloradosherpa14k
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2010
      Hey Ray,
      Thanks. I've modified and reposted.

      html version: Osprey Map Wrap Map Case
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Owner%20Re\
      view%20-%20Osprey%20Map%20Wrap%20Map%20Case/>

      text version:
      Osprey Map Wrap Map Case
      By Shane Williams
      Owner Review
      June 13th, 2010

      Tester Information:
      Name: Shane Williams
      Age: 36 Height: 6ft (183 cm)
      Weight: 183 lbs (86 kg)
      Email: Sherpa(dot)Colorado(at)Gmail(dot)com
      Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

      Biography:
      As a child I lived in the last house on a dead end street. Just beyond
      my house was a wilderness area. I started hiking and exploring there,
      and I've never stopped. I started backpacking in the South Eastern
      Appalachian Mountains, including portions of the Appalachian Trail.
      Today I primarily hike in the Colorado Rockies. My pack weight is
      approximately 30 (13.61 kg) to 50 lbs (22.68 kg). I often carrying more
      gear than necessary hoping that I won't need it. I enjoy weekend
      excursions into the High Country with friends and lower elevations day
      trips with my family.

      Product information:
      Manufacturer: Osprey Packs Inc
      Manufacture Date: 2008
      Website: http://www.ospreypacks.com/

      Listed Rolled Dimensions:
      Width: 4 in (0.10 m)
      Length: 12.5 in (0.32 m)

      Listed Open Dimensions:
      Width: 10.5 in (0.27 m)
      Length: 12.5 in (0.32 m)

      Listed Weight: 3 oz (85 g)

      Actual Rolled Dimensions:
      Width: 3.5 in (0.9 m)
      Length: 12.5 in (0.32 m)

      Actual Open Dimensions:
      Width: 10.25 in (0.26 m)
      Length: 12.5 in (0.32 m)

      Actual Weight: 2.9 oz (82 g)

      Manufacture Location: Cortez Colorado USA

      Field information:
      Field Location: Colorado Rockies
      Trips: La Plata Peak - Sawatch Range - March 27th, 2010 Temp: 10 - 35 F
      (-12 to 1 C)
      Mount Lindsey - Sangre De Cristo Range - June 12th, 2010 Temp:
      36 - 50 F (2 to 10 C)
      Various Day Hikes around Colorado Springs

      Product Description:

      The Osprey Map Wrap Map Case is a lightweight, water resistant case
      designed to keep maps dry and usable. It's constructed of highly water
      resistant, rip-stop nylon exterior. The Map Wrap Map Case has 2 exterior
      straps, a Wrap Strap and a Quick Attachment Strap.

      The Wrap Strap is made of durable nylon webbing and is 3/4 in (1.91 cm)
      wide and 12 in (30.48 cm) in length. The fixed end of the strap has a
      sewn Velcro patch for fastening to the exterior rip-stop nylon, the
      other end has a stylish Osprey label. The reverse side of the label has
      the corresponding Velcro patch for fastening. When the case is in its
      tri-fold formation, this strap wraps around the entire case, and latches
      it in the closed position.

      Map Wrap Strap

      The Quick Attachment Strap is also made of the same durable nylon
      webbing. It's 3/4 in (0.02 m) in width and 8 in (0.20 m) in length. This
      strap is folded at about half its length and has a black adjustable
      tri-glide buckle for quick attachment to a pack. Just below this strap
      is another stylish embossed Osprey label with the descriptive letters
      "Map Wrap".

      Quick Attachment Strap

      The exterior side of The Map Wrap has the water-sealed zipper by which
      the case can be opened to load or unload maps. This zipper is positioned
      along the left horizontal edge and is 11 in (0.28 m) in length. The
      zipper has an attached loop cord used as a handle. A portion of the cord
      has a raised plastic coating on it, making it easy to grab.

      zipper and handle

      The interior of The Map Wrap is constructed of a heavy-duty transparent
      thermoplastic urethane. This side of the case is the window by which the
      map can be viewed. The entire side is a durable water resistant viewing
      panel. When a map isn't inside, there's a full color Osprey label
      visible.

      viewing window

      The edges of The Map Wrap are made of a single piece of rip-stop nylon
      that's been folded over the edges and sewn with a 1/8 in (0.125 m)
      stitch. This width of the edging is 3/8 in (0.01 m). The only seam
      that's visible is where the two ends of the edging come together, and
      that seam is sealed.

      closeup of the sewn edge

      Product Review:
      Having a map is an essential for any trip, short or long. I've been in a
      couple of situations where I didn't have a map, I decided to make it a
      priority. I purchased the National Geographic Topo! program. Knowing
      that this would require me to print my own maps, I decided that a map
      case would also be helpful. Thus, my introduction to the product
      reviewed here.

      I've used this map case in varied conditions. I've had it totally
      covered in snow as well as water. I've yet to have it leak in the field.
      The manufacturer designates it as water resistant rather than
      waterproof. Being that it performed so well in the field, I was curious
      about this. That curiosity compelled me to give it a little more
      rigorous test. I fully submerged it underwater for 60 seconds. It did in
      fact leak and got my map wet but it wasn't fully soaked. The single
      point of failure was around the zipper area. The rest of the case held
      the water at bay.

      I typically keep The Map Wrap in an exterior side pocket on my pack. I
      also take a 3 mm utility cord and tie one end to the Quick Attachment
      Strap, and the other end to a D ring on my pack's shoulder harness. I do
      this for a couple of reasons. One, to ensure that the case doesn't
      inadvertently fall out. Two, because my external pocket is somewhat hard
      to reach while I'm wearing my pack. A gentle tug of the utility cord
      renders the map very accessible, which is key to frequent consultation.

      My setup

      intact while on the trail, and I think it does it well. The tri-fold
      design lends itself nicely to packability. It holds its own against
      water in the field.

      Pros
      - Compactable
      - Lightweight
      - Durable
      - Quick Attachment Strap

      Cons
      - If I could change anything about the Osprey Map Wrap Map Case, it
      would be to make it waterproof. The manufacturer openly states that it's
      water resistant and not waterproof, so it is "as advertised", but it
      would be a nice addition.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 28, 2010
        Check your link. It is going to the wrong place.

        Ray

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "coloradosherpa14k" <sherpa.colorado@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > inadvertently fall out. Two, because my external pocket is somewhat hard
        > to reach while I'm wearing my pack. A gentle tug of the utility cord
        > renders the map very accessible, which is key to frequent consultation.
        >

        > My setup

        > intact while on the trail, and I think it does it well. The tri-fold
        > design lends itself nicely to packability. It holds its own against
        > water in the field.
        >
        > Pros
        > - Compactable
        > - Lightweight
        > - Durable
        > - Quick Attachment Strap
        >
        > Cons
        > - If I could change anything about the Osprey Map Wrap Map Case, it
        > would be to make it waterproof. The manufacturer openly states that it's
        > water resistant and not waterproof, so it is "as advertised", but it

      • coloradosherpa14k
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 28, 2010
          Ok, I'm not sure how that happened, I think it had something to do with the Rich Text editor. My apologies. I've reposted the HTML version:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Osprey%20Map%20Wrap%20Map%20Case%20-%20Shane%20Williams/

> [...]
          > > inadvertently fall out. Two, because my external pocket is somewhat hard
          > > to reach while I'm wearing my pack. A gentle tug of the utility cord
          > > renders the map very accessible, which is key to frequent consultation.
          > >

          > > My setup

          > > intact while on the trail, and I think it does it well. The tri-fold
          > > design lends itself nicely to packability. It holds its own against
          > > water in the field.
          > >
          > > Pros
          > > - Compactable
          > > - Lightweight
          > > - Durable
          > > - Quick Attachment Strap
          > >
          > > Cons
          > > - If I could change anything about the Osprey Map Wrap Map Case, it
          > > would be to make it waterproof. The manufacturer openly states that it's
          > > water resistant and not waterproof, so it is "as advertised", but it

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 29, 2010
            All right Shane, you are good to go. Upload your review here:

            http://tinyurl.com/2afbf5g

            Be sure to pick the Owner Review button.

            And as this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
            Agreement, for which see:

            http://tinyurl.com/dndp

            that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

            You will also need to join:

            This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

            However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

            Congratulations!

            Raymond Estrella