Connor Penrod, CRKT M21-14

  • Connor Penrod
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2010
      CRKT M21-14
      BY CONNOR PENROD
      OR
      July 23, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Connor Penrod
      EMAIL: connorpenrod@...
      AGE: 19
      LOCATION: Oceanside, CA, US
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 5" (1.96 m)
      WEIGHT: 188 lb (85.30 kg)

      I've been hiking and camping on and off since my family and I started going to
      Yellowstone and Snowbird when I was a kid. I just recently started doing short
      excursions into the surrounding area, generally varying from trail runs of
      1-3miles and hikes up to 6miles.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Columbia River Knife and Tool
      Year of Manufacture:
      Manufacturer's Website: <<Link 1>>
      MSRP: $89.99
      Listed Weight: 5.5 oz (156 g)
      Measured Weight: accurate
      Listed Length:9.25 in(23.5 cm)
      Measured Length:accurate
      Blade Material: AUS8
      Handle Material: Charcoal anodized aluminum
      Length Closed:5.25 in.(13.34 cm)
      Blade Length:4 In.(10.16 cm)
      Blade Thickness: .14 in(.36 cm)
      Blade Style: Spearpoint with recurve. Partially serrated.
      Lock Style: Liner lock with CRKT's patented AutoLawks mechanism
      Opening Method: Either traditional thumb studs, or Carson Flipper

      FIELD USE

      I work in a retail store and use the knife for cutting boxes, tape, and 550cord;
      and any other tasks that are necessary. It handled well enough in the shop that
      I decided to take it with me on one of my small weekly hikes so that I could
      test how it may perform as a survival knife.
      After finding some dead wood I put it through a variety of tests, from chopping,
      stabbing, cutting, etc.
      Too start off with, this knife is not a choppers, the five minutes and rapid
      accumulation of blisters attest to this. As a stabbing knife it works like a
      dream, in either orthodox or reverse grip My hand didn't slide a millimeter and
      it bit fairly deep. As a cutter is where it might excel, the serrations and deep
      recurve to the blade cut deep with each stroke. While it may have not been the
      best chopper it did a fairly decent job as a batoner
      Another intersting fact about the M21-14 is that it has a skelotinized handle,
      this both reduces weight, makes it easier to clean, and can give your fingers a
      little more purchase on the handle if your hands are slick.
      As far as temperature ranges, it has been with me on hikes up in the Anza
      Borrego desert, and in the Uinta Mountains with no change in performance. I
      would estimate a temperature range of 90degrees Fahrenheit to 35 degrees
      Fahrenheit. Total elevation change from 0ft. in Oceanside to 11,068 in the Uinta
      Mountains.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, with my testing I've concluded that the M21-14 is a jack of all trades,
      but a master of none. Most tasks it performs well to above average, but there
      was only one(safety) where i felt it excelled.  Potentially my favorite aspect
      about this knife is the safety;  the dual locking mechanism and the index
      flipper.guard combo means I'm never nervous using it.

      The general versatility of the M21-14 means that it will definitely stay in my
      pocket for some time to come
      <<Image 1>>
      <<Image 2>>
      <<Image 3>>

      THINGS I LIKE

      Blade Style
      Locking mechanism
      Index flipper/finger guard
      Blade Steel/edge retention
      Weight

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      With many CRKT's it is possible to switch the pocket clip in to various
      positions, unfortunately not so with the M21-14 meaning it is a little more
      difficult use for lefties like myself. Also the carrying clip screws tend to
      loosen up, but some lock-tight and that problem ceased
      While the aluminum makes the knife lighter overall, the lack of texture means
      that if and when your hands get sweaty or wet it will become more slick.

      SIGNATURE

      Connor Penrod

      Copyright 2010.  All rights reserved.