OR - GU Energy Chomps - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2010
      Dear Editors,

      As you may have guessed, I'm still housesitting in suburbia and bored...

      You can find the HTML for the below text in the OR test folder at
      http://tinyurl.com/29uqnnh.

      I'm looking forward to your comments and edits.

      Thanks,
      Kathy
      ________________________________--
      GU ENERGY CHOMPS
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 59
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 71-acre/29-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: GU Energy Labs
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.guenergy.com
      MSRP: US$ 35.20 per 16-pack (one flavor).
      Listed Weight: 2 oz (60 g)
      Measured Weight: 2 oz (57 g)
      Serving Size: 4 Pieces 1 oz (30 g)
      Servings per Package: 2
      Flavors Available: Blueberry Pomegranate, Orange, Strawberry & Cranberry
      Apple
      Flavors Reviewed: All of them!

      Picture Courtesy of GU Energy

      NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION - (per serving)
      Blueberry Pomegranate * Orange *
      Calories 90
      Total Fat 0g
      Sodium 55mg
      Potassium 40mg
      Total Carb 23g
      Sugars
      Protein
      Vitamin C
      Vitamin E
      %DV
      0%
      2%
      1%
      8%
      11g
      0g
      100%
      100% Calories 90
      Total Fat 0g
      Sodium 55mg
      Potassium 40mg
      Total Carb 23g
      Sugars
      Protein
      Vitamin C
      Vitamin E
      %DV
      0%
      2%
      1%
      8%
      11g
      0g
      100%
      100%

      Strawberry Cranberry

      Calories 90
      Total Fat 0g
      Sodium 55mg
      Potassium 40mg
      Total Carb 23g
      Sugars
      Protein
      Vitamin C
      Vitamin E
      %DV
      0%
      2%
      1%
      8%
      11g
      0g
      100%
      100% Calories 90
      Total Fat 0g
      Sodium 55mg
      Potassium 40mg
      Total Carb 23g
      Sugars
      Protein
      Vitamin C
      Vitamin E
      %DV
      0%
      2%
      1%
      8%
      11g
      0g
      100%
      100%

      *
      Contains NO Caffeine.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I discovered these culinary trail gems during a trip to the Outdoor Retail
      Show in Salt Lake City last summer. While wending my way through the many
      vendor booths touting the latest and greatest in outdoor gear, I noticed a
      counter with a glass bowl of...CANDY!

      I quickly staggered over to it - it was late in the day , I was starving and
      tired - and grabbed one of the shiny, silver foil pouches, tore open the
      pouch and popped one of the jewel-colored morsels into my mouth. Mmmm, it
      tasted great! I was immediately hooked.

      GU Energy Chomps (hereafter called "Chomps") are packaged in a silver foil
      wrapper about the size of an mp3 player. Tearing the easy to open package
      reveals 8 gumdrop-like pieces of fruity treats. They are slightly smaller
      than the diameter of a United States' quarter

      To the touch, Chomps are semi-hard - I can't squish them between my fingers
      no matter how hard I try - but they do have some "give" to them. With their
      intense colors and fragrant smells, I find them hard to resist

      When it comes to sustenance on the trail, I have three questions for a
      product. Does it taste good? Does it satisfy my hunger pangs? Is it easy to
      pack and use? The answers in three words are "Yes, Yes & Yes!"
      One Serving of GU Energy Chomps

      Do GU Energy Chomps taste good?

      Starting with taste, I've tried all the flavors and with the exception of
      Strawberry, love them. The Strawberry flavor tastes like other strawberry
      food items I've had, but I just am not crazy about strawberry, I guess,
      unless it is the real thing. All the flavors are authentic to their names. I
      have to say my absolute favorite is the Blueberry Pomegranate. At one
      sitting, I could easily eat way more of them than the 2 servings the package
      provides just for the taste of them.

      There is probably a scientific reason for why chewing food is so much more
      pleasurable than just swallowing it. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing
      against liquids. I just feel "fuller" when I've had the pleasure of biting
      down on my food rather than sipping it down. With the Chomps, I get that
      pleasure. I can just "chomp" down reducing the Chomps to tiny pieces,
      savoring the juicy taste and enjoying the silky/gooey texture. Or I can try
      to prolong the experience by sucking on them until my instincts kick in and
      I gnash the Chomps death! Either way, I can give an unqualified "thumbs up"
      to the question of "how do Chomps taste"!

      Do GU Energy Chomps satisfy my hunger pangs?

      According to GU Energy, each serving of GU Chomps "will provide enough fuel
      for approximately 45-60 minutes of activity." And, "For optimal results,
      always drink 24 to 30 ounces ( g) of fluid per hour of exercise." The main
      ingredients for the Chomps are "Tapioca Syrup, Cane Sugar, Maltodextrin,
      Pectin, Citric Acid, and GU's Amino Blend." Since three out of the first
      three ingredients are forms of sugar, I can understand the "energy" part of
      GU Energy! Sugar natually provides a quick boost during exertion. I'm
      guessing the "Amino Blend" part of the equation makes the boost more than
      just a "burst".

      I do not use Chomps as a meal substitute. I don't think that is what they
      are intended for, but rather as a high energy snack when I am working hard
      on the trail, hiking or snowshoeing. I have found that eating a serving of
      Chomps in-between meals, or on a particularly hard stretch of trail, gives
      me a little burst of energy to get me through another hour or so until I am
      able to actually eat a meal. I can actually push myself with another serving
      of Chomps after the recommended 45-60 minutes but after that, if I was
      hunger before, I'm hungry then and nothing but real food is going to do it
      for me. Again, the action of chewing, I think, makes a big difference for
      me. I've tried liquid supplements in the same kinds of situations and they
      don't get me an extra hour or two of backpacking time.

      So, GU Energy Chomps with their "proven blend of carbohydrates, amino acids,
      antioxidants and electrolytes
      in a chewable form" do work for me to satisfy my hunger pangs and give me an
      hour or so worth of energy.

      Are GU Energy Chomps easy to pack and use?

      As I try to lighten up my load on the trail, one of the ways I look to do so
      is, food. I can't do without lots of water, my extra socks, camera,
      headlamp, extra base layer, etc., nor can I make them lighter, but I'm
      trying to be smarter about food choices. While I'm already down to
      dehydrated pasta and foil pouches of tuna, my snacking treats consisted
      mostly of trail bars.

      A package of Chomps at 2 oz (57 g) weigh less than most trail bars, are
      certainly smaller and fit in more corners (and smaller pockets). That's a
      bonus for me. I also don't have to worry about them being smashed to
      smithereens at the bottom of my pack, either. While they might get stuck
      together if they are squished and it is very warm outside, I still have less
      mess than with the crumbs of a bar in the same situation.

      I have stored, carried and eaten GU Energy Chomps in temperatures as low as
      15 F (-9 C) and as high as 104 F (40 C). No degradation of the product has
      been noted due to any temperature extreme as far as taste. Below freezing,
      the Chomps become a little firmer, but a minute in my mouth and they are
      chewable again. When ole Sol has blazed down on my backpack for hours,
      Chomps become sticky, not melted, but just plain sticky. Then I have to
      break them apart and lick my fingers (if my fingers are not too disgustingly
      dirty) or wipe my fingers on my pants! Still, the Chomps are tasty.

      Thanks to their sealed foil pouches, precipitation has no effect on the
      Chomps. The foil pouch has an easy to tear notch and crumples up when empty
      to next to nothing, size and weight-wise for packing out. Neat! And now I've
      answered my three questions!

      STAR ATTRACTIONS

      1.) Very tasty and pleasing to eat.
      2.) Satisfying portion for snacking
      3.) Very portable - takes up little room and fares well in pack

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) Can get very sticky in hot weather.
      2.) Nearest dealer is 35 miles (56 km) away from me.

      SUMMARY

      There is no question the Blueberry Pomegranate is my favorite variety of the
      GU Energy Chomps. But I will gladly choose any one of the other three
      Chomps' flavors before any other energy-replensing-type snack when I'm on
      the trail!

      The texture of the Chomps gives me the intense satisfaction of chewing - a
      sensation I find makes me feel less hungry. And the genuinely fruity flavors
      give my taste buds a treat as well.

      Plus, the Chomps are easy to pack, easy to access, easy to eat and leave me
      with little packaging to carry out

      I like GU Enery Chomps a lot! They will surely be in my pack whenever I'm on
      the trail for more than an hour or two.

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2010
          Hi Kathy,

          Here are your edits for this chew, I mean review…

          Once done you can place it here:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Food/Energy%20Bars%20and%20Drinks/GU%20Energy%20Chomps/

          Thanks,

          Ray

          ***Picture Courtesy of GU Energy

          Edit: maybe add "and logo" here to cover the logo you pulled from the site.

          ***I quickly staggered over to it - it was late in the day , I was starving

          EDIT: delete space before comma

          *** "For optimal results, always drink 24 to 30 ounces ( g) of fluid per hour of exercise.

          EDIT: need the ml or L conversion (not g)

          *** Sugar natually provides a quick boost during exertion.

          EDIT: naturally

          *** I can actually push myself with another serving of Chomps after the recommended 45-60 minutes but after that, if I was hunger before, I'm hungry then

          EDIT: if I was "hungry" before

          *** But I will gladly choose any one of the other three Chomps' flavors before any other energy-replensing-type snack when I'm on the trail!

          EDIT: energy replenishing
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2010
            Ray,

            Thanks for the edits. I'm going to have to proof-read my own reports better!

            Corrections made, uploaded to folder and test file deleted.