OR - OrthoSole Insoles - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2010
      Fellow Editors,

      I'm housesitteing so have extra time on my hands - thought I keep you all
      busy!

      Text is below and HTML can be found in the OR test folder at:
      http://tinyurl.com/2clryaj

      Looking forward to your edits!

      Kathy

      ORTHOSOLES MAX CUSHION INSOLES
      BY KATHLEEN WATERS

      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 59
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 35-acre/14-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: OrthoSole, LLC
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://orthosole.com
      MSRP: US$ 49.95
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 4 oz (113 g) per pair without support pads
      Sizes Available: 5.5 to 11 US Women's - EUR and UK conversion chart on
      website
      (men's sizes also available)
      Size Tested: 7.5-8 US
      Designed in the United States of America
      Made in China

      Guarantee: 90 Day Perfect Fit Guarantee
      My OrthoSole Insoles

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      Seven different components make up the unique construction of the OrthoSole
      Insoles. From the top, they look similar to any other insole - molded heel
      cup with sloping sides to mid-foot. The top (the part that my foot rests on)
      dark gray cover is made from nylon fibers OrthoSole touts as moisture
      wicking, antimicrobial and abrasion-resistant. Just below the suede-feel,
      lightly embossed cover is a layer of Poron Urethane which is a heat and
      pressure-sensitive layer designed to conform to the shape of the foot.
      Lastly, Eva foam provides the Insoles cushioning.

      Up to this point, the OrthoSoles appear to be the same as other insoles, but
      here's where things change in a big way!

      Arch and Metatarsal Pads with Gel Heel Inser
      OrthoSole has added a few tricks to make this Insole stand out. First is
      the heel chassis which extends from mid-foot on the outside of the Insole
      and wraps around the gel heel insert to cup the heel. The heel chassis,
      feels, for the most part, like a semi-rigid plastic and is actually made
      from Thermoplastic. The function of the heel chassis is to stabilize the
      ankle joint during strike-down of the foot according to OrthoSole. A
      silvery-gray, egg-shaped gel heel insert is cushion-y to ease heel impact.
      Together, the heel chassis and gel heel insert form the back bottom section
      of the Insole.

      Now for the really neat part - what makes the OrthoSole Insoles "custom"!

      The OrthoSole Insoles come with removable, interchangeable arch and
      metatarsal pads. A total of six supports - three arch and three metatarsal -
      for both left and right feet are included and can be stored in an
      accompanying cloth drawstring pouch - in my case a pretty pink one. The
      OrthoSole logo in white insures I will remember what's "in the bag". The
      pads attach easily to the Insoles by way of a very fine "hook and loop" sort
      of fastener.

      The semi-rigid supports are shaded in gradually deepening shades of pink
      with the lightest color pink, the lightest support and the darkest color - a
      deep rose - the heaviest or thickest. Because the supports are independently
      interchangeable (obviously, I suppose), I can mix or match the arch and
      metatarsal supports to have various combinations on each foot.

      FIELD CONDITIONS AND USE

      Before January 2010, I had never used after-market insoles except on rare
      occasions when the insoles of a favorite pair of footwear became just too
      disgusting to live with. On those instances, I bought the kind sold in
      drugstores, the cheaper the better. I don't have any foot or leg problems
      but am always looking to improve my ability to hike, snowshoe and backpack.

      In January, I was lucky enough to meet and talk with Aimee and Damian Donzis
      of OrthoSole at the Outdoor Retail Winter 2010 Show in Salt Lake City. After
      a few minutes with the couple, I was curious enough to try a pair of the
      Insoles for myself.

      Once I gave Aimee my shoe size and she handed me the corresponding Insole,
      Aimee explained the process of customizing the Insoles in three simple
      steps: 1.) Pick the arch and metatarsal support pads for each foot that
      "seems" right based on my own past experiences with footwear; 2.) Replace my
      shoes' old insoles with the OrthoSoles; and 3.) Walk around for a few
      minutes to see how they feel and change/adjust the support pads as needed.
      OK, a fourth step would be - repeat, as needed!

      Not surprisingly, those 3 steps are the same steps that are detailed on the
      OrthoSole's website and in the User's Guide included with the Insoles.

      After a couple of trials, I was happy with my configuration and flummoxed to
      find my left and right feet haven't the same support needs. My left foot
      requires a thicker arch support than the right. Wow! I never suspected I was
      asymmetrical! Oh, and in my case, no trimming or anything was required to
      get the Insoles into my trail runners. They fit perfectly.

      OK! I now had the Insoles in my shoes and was off to pounding the cement at
      the trade show. This is a brutal test for insoles and I think the Insoles
      did quite well as I didn't notice my feet at all that day. Not noticing my
      feet is the best thing but usually I'm very aware of my feet during these
      sorts of affairs. So far, so good!

      After the Show was over, I was very anxious to put the OrthoSoles to the
      test on the trail, hiking and snowshoeing. Over the course of the next 5
      months, I estimate I wore the Insoles at least 20 times on trails that
      ranged from dry, powdery dust to rock-hard granite with snow, ice and our
      famous mud mixed in there, too. I wore the Insoles in my
      dedicated-for-the-treadmill cross-training sneakers a couple times a week as
      well. So, the Insoles were abused.

      From inexpensive sneakers to $250 winter boots, I only found one pair of
      shoes in my outdoor footwear collection that I couldn't wear the Insoles
      installed. This particular trail shoe have a smaller than normal toe box and
      with the OrthoSoles in place, my tootsies were just too cramped. No worry, I
      just gave those shoes to my daughter-in-law!

      Most of the time, I found I didn't need to change the configuration of the
      arch and metatarsal supports from trail shoe to trail shoe, but when
      switching to my heavier winter boots, I found I needed the thickest arch
      support on my left foot and I "went up" one level on the right as well. I
      was very happy with the ease of making the switches and found with practice,
      I could determine just which pads I needed quite quickly.

      Out in the wilds, I noticed my feet definitely were less tired and certainly
      less bruised feeling after I started wearing the OrthoSoles. We live on 71
      acres (29 hectares) of high desert in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
      Our property backs up to state and federal land which goes on for miles
      (kilometers). We mostly hike into this land with no marked trails and have
      been doing so for quite a while now. I know the terrain and I can say,
      without a doubt, I can feel the difference in my feet and legs since I've
      been using these Insoles.

      While the added thickness of the OrthoSoles to my winter boots, no doubt,
      helped keep my feet warmer in the coldest snows of winter, it did not cause
      my feet to sweat in the hottest days of summer so far.

      I couldn't begin to calculate the number of hours and or miles/kilometers
      I've hiked and snowshoed while using the OrthoSoles, but it's a lot! There
      has been absolutely no degradation of the materials constructing the Insoles
      and no smell either. Other than a slight "lightening" of the top nylon
      material in the arch of the Insole, the OrthoSoles look almost new.
      Definitely, lots of wear in them yet!
      Hiking on Snowy Terrain

      Top of Insoles after 5 months

      STAR ATTRACTIONS

      1.) The flexibility and ease of customizing the Insoles via the removable
      metatarsal and arch supports.
      2.) Very supportive and therefore, comfortable, in all my trail shoes and
      boots.
      3.) Durability of the Insoles
      4.) Lack of funky smell after almost constant use over 5 months.

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1.) They aren't built into ALL my trail shoes and boots!

      SUMMARY

      I've been very pleased with the fit, comfort and durability of the
      OrthoSoles Custom Insoles. I have been able to wear them in almost every
      shoe I've tried them in thanks to the ability to change the metatarsal and
      arch supports. I definitely can tell the difference - and in a good way -
      when I am using the Insoles versus when I am not. OrthoSole states they are
      "continually designing with innovation, performance, functionality and
      practicality in mind." I think they have hit the mark with this product!

      The Insoles are so supportive I plan to purchase at least one more pair so
      as to not have to constantly be changing insoles around in my various trail
      shoes and boots. I'm an Insole convert! Thanks, OrthoSole!

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters

      This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager