OR--EPIPEN AUTO-INJECTOR--STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
      Ted per your request I put together this OR.

      It feels more like a public service announcement than a gear review, but I have found this to be a vital part of my first aid kit for ages. It may appear a little odd, but I hope it fits into the organizations profile, as my passion ended up overriding the idea of brownie points.

      ~Steve

      HTML file:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR--EPIPEN%20AUTO-INJECTOR--STEVE%20KIDD/

      or

      http://alturl.com/kosad

      Text Version:

      EPIPEN (EPINEPHRINE) AUTO-INJECTOR 0.3 M
      BY STEVEN M. KIDD
      OR
      July 07, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Steven M. Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 38
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 220 lb (99.80 kg)
      SHOE SIZE: 10 1/2 EE (US)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25 years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties, while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). In the last two years I have gained a renewed enthusiasm for the back country. I generally go on one or two night outings and now try to average a 30 lb (14 kg) pack. However, a comfortable riding pack is more important to me than the overall weight I'm carrying. I occasionally sleep in the open air, but most often sleep in a lightweight free standing tent.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: DEY Pharma
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.epipen.com/">>
      MSRP: N/A
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 1.67 oz (47 g)
      Weight in Protection Case: 2.68 oz (76 g)
      Other details: Filled by prescription only in U.S.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "epi 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "EpiPen in Storage Container">>
      The EpiPen Auto-Injector is a prescription device that delivers a 0.3 mg epinephrine dose intravenously to person suffering anaphylaxis (allergic emergencies). This medication reverses a severe allergic reaction, at least temporarily, in order to provide time to seek medical treatment. The injector is suitable for one anaphylactic treatment, and should be discarded properly after use or expiration. The drug works by constricting blood vessels, relaxing muscles to improve breathing, stimulating heartbeat and hives and swelling. The drug's effects typically last ten to twenty minutes and it is administered by self injection into the outer thigh, and keeping the needle depressed for ten seconds.

      In the United States this drug can be prescribed by any practicing physician. It can then be filled at most local pharmacies. Any person with a history of mild to severe allergic reactions can typically request a prescription without hesitation from their primary care doctor. The active medication generally remains efficacious for approximately one year. After an EpiPen has expired it should be disposed of properly, and replaced with a new one. If it is ever administered in an emergency situation, the patient or caretaker should take the used injector with them when they receive treatment. This allows medical personnel to know exactly what and how much has been given.

      FIELD USE

      An EpiPen Auto-Injector has been a mandatory part of my backcountry first aid kit for over a decade. The few ounces I add to my pack can potentially be the difference between life or death in an emergency allergic situation. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "epi 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Injector next to Storage Container">>

      Speaking from the point of view of both a solo backpacker and a Scout leader, I have been privy to multiple occasions where either I or fellow camper has suffered an allergic reaction. In the majority of cases, the reaction has been localized to one part of the body and can be treated by washing the area and applying a salve or cream. If the reaction has been of a more severe or of a systemic nature I have typically dosed dyphenhydramine (brand name Benadryl) to myself or campmate in need. Suggested dosing for this over-the-counter medication (and another MUST HAVE in my first aid kit) is at a rate of 25 mg per 100 lbs (45 kg) when treating allergies. However, in the very rare life threatening allergic situation I have gone to the last resort and used epinephrine.

      In my personal situation, I was camping at Land Between the Lakes near Dover, Tennessee when I suffered a severe allergic reaction. My airways never constricted, but I began to swell and get hives between the digits on my hands and feet and in the groin area. Soon after, my blood vessels began to dilate causing my blood pressure to drop. I first attempted self dosing the aforementioned dyphenhydramine with no success, so I then injected myself with the EpiPen. Within minutes I began to feel the reversal effects and began improving. I was fortunate that this stopped my allergic issues and they did not reappear. A medical professional later prescribed me a steroid, as is often protocol in this situation. It is my understanding that my situation could have been different. When the epinephrine begins to wear off, there can potentially be another reaction. This is why I always seek medical care when I have had an allergic reaction.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "epi 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Self Administration Demonstration">>

      Of the handful of allergic reactions of this nature I have endured, I am fortunate that I have only had one allergic reaction in the backcountry. The condition would never keep me out of the woods, and I hope it wouldn't affect others that enjoy the outdoors. Yet, I strongly consider it an essential piece of backcountry Health & Safety gear. I would even go so far to suggest any group leader proactively carry it for just such a lifesaving situation.

      SUMMARY

      The EpiPen Auto-Injector is one the most popular delivery systems for epinephrine in emergency situations. It's something I keep in my first aid kit that I hope I will never have to use again. However, in a life threatening allergic situation it is an item I wouldn't be without. I can think of no reason to not have a simple item like this in a gear bag for anyone that has ever had a moderate to severe allergy. Even if I were a minimalist toothbrush handle-cutting backpacker, the weight is so nominal it only makes sense to have it.

      EpiPen is but one brand name version of self delivered epinephrine, but the most widely available version in the United States.

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • Edward
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2010
        Thanks, Steve. I don't carry one as part of my first aid kit (though I have thought that perhaps I should), but I have at least one hiking acquaintance whose life was probably saved by one, when he was stung in the backcountry and started going into into anaphylactic shock. So yes, I'm all for this.

        Best,

        Ted

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2010

          Edit Administration Manager
        • Ray
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16, 2010
            Hi Steven,

            Excellent review that hits home for me. I am allergic to bees and really need to get one of these to start carrying in my pack. Here are your edits. Once done you can put the review here:

            http://tinyurl.com/2cnk4en

            EDIT: must be changed

            ***Backpacking Background:

            EDIT: Steven I am pretty sure I asked this before. Your bio is longer than the 100 word minimum that BGT asks for. Please trim it a bit.

            ***The EpiPen Auto-Injector is a prescription device that delivers a 0.3 mg epinephrine dose intravenously to person suffering

            EDIT: to "a" person

            *** The drug works by constricting blood vessels, relaxing muscles to improve breathing, stimulating heartbeat and hives and swelling.

            EDIT: and "reducing" hives and swelling

            ***An EpiPen Auto-Injector has been a mandatory part of my backcountry first aid kit for over a decade.

            Edit: why? What do you carry it for, which allergies are you susceptible to?

            *** I would even go so far to suggest any group leader proactively carry it for just such a lifesaving situation.

            Comment: I have to agree with you
          • Ray
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2010
              One more thing, a biggie that I did not realize. (Thank you David.)

              >***The EpiPen Auto-Injector is a prescription device that delivers a 0.3 mg epinephrine dose "intravenously" to person suffering

              This is wrong -- EpiPen is an "intramuscular delivery system". Intravenous is injection directly into a blood vessel; subcutaneous is injection under the skin, intramuscular is injection into meaty part of the body, which is where the directions the EpiPen say to perform the injection.

              Please address this before uploading.

              Ray
            • ftroop94
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2010
                Ray (and Dave),

                Thanks for the edits. It's on the site, including the major delivery method. I also shortened the bio, but actually you hadn't ask me to shorten it the past...in fact another editor had asked me to add the final sentence that I just deleted!

                Anyway, I hope this one helps some folks. If even just you starts carrying one, I feel as if I've done a good deed!

                Steve