OR - Obermeyer Tenley T-Neck Top - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2010
      Fellow Editors,

      Packing up the winter stuff and figured I'd do an OR or two before I do so.

      HTML with pcitures can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Obermeyer%20Tenley%20T-Neck%20Top%20-%20Kathy%20W/

      Text is below.

      Get out those marking pens!

      Kathy
      OBERMEYER TENLEY T-NECK MID-LAYER TOP

      BY KATHLEEN WATERS
      OWNER REVIEW

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kathleen Waters
      EMAIL: kathy@...
      AGE: 59
      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 4" (1.60 m)
      WEIGHT: 125 lb (56.70 kg)

      Living in Colorado and being self-employed, I have ample opportunities to
      backpack. There are over 700,000 acres/280,000 hectares of public land
      bordering my 35-acre/14-hectare "backyard" in addition to all the other
      gorgeous locations which abound in Colorado. Over the past 15 years, my
      husband John and I have also had the good fortune to hike/snowshoe glaciers,
      rain forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including New
      Zealand, Iceland, Costa Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley. My hiking style is
      comfortable, aiming for lightweight. I use a tent (rainfly if needed).
      Current pack averages 25 lb (11 kg) excluding food and water.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Obermeyer
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.obermeyer.com
      MSRP: US$ 79.50
      Listed Weight: N/A
      Measured Weight: 8 oz (227 g)
      Colors Available: Black, Brilliant, Blue, Lipstick and White
      Color Tested: Lipstick (red)
      Sizes Available: X-Small to X-Large
      Size Tested: Medium

      Other details:

      Material: E-TEX, a bamboo ultra blend consisting of 49% bamboo fiber and 51%
      polyester
      Picture Courtesy of Obermeyer

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Obermeyer Tenley T-Neck Mid-Layer Top (hereafter called the "Tenley" or
      the "T-Neck") is a stylish mid-weight base layer with a smooth finish and
      hefty feeling fabric. The knit is close and thick which immediately imparts
      a "quality" impression. My Tenley is a beautiful shade of red called
      "Lipstick".

      What makes the Tenley a "t-neck" is a stand-up two-piece collar,
      approximately 2 inches (5 cm) in height. There is what appears to be a
      strictly decorative little semi-circle of fabric added to the back of the
      collar and a discreetly stenciled "Obermeyer" above it.

      Bamboo Logo on Sleeve
      Raglan sleeves and princess-style seams are complemented by additional
      front curved side seams to create a shapely silhouette and a close,
      comfortable fit. The back of the T-Neck sports a side-to-side top-back panel
      as well as princess-style seams and continue the feminine shape.

      Capping the sleeves are generous 3 inch (8 cm) cuffs with black trimmed
      thumb holes and hidden pockets in the inside fronts of the cuffs just
      perfectly-sized for my MP3 player. A black embroidered 1.5 inch (4 cm) wide
      logo for recycled bamboo is just above the left cuff.

      An inseam (hidden) 7.5 inch (19 cm) zipper has been sewn into the left side
      raglan shoulder seam. This is very different from all my previous "half-zip"
      tops where the zippers are vertical. The nylon zipper has a very small
      zipper pull, so as to be almost un-noticeable.

      Inside the back of the T-Neck is the Obermeyer logo, "Made in Vietnam", the
      size, a repeat of the recycled bamboo logo and washing instructions in both
      English and the international care symbols.

      Washing instructions are listed as: "MACHINE WASH COLD/LIKE COLORS. DO NOT
      IRON. DO NOT BLEACH. LINE DRY."

      FIELD CONDITIONS AND USE

      All of my wearings of the Obermeyer Tenley T-Neck Top since I received it
      from early February to early spring (April) took place in the Wet, Fremont
      and Cooper mountains of south central Colorado.

      The elevation I hiked, snowshoed, and backpacked in ranges from a low of
      5300 ft (1600 m) to a high of 8400 ft (2400 m). Temperatures fluctuated from
      20 F (-7 C) to 60 F (16 C) during daylight hours and freezing to 10 F (- 12
      C) just before dawn. Weather conditions were mostly cloudy with some
      sunshine in the mornings on my day hikes. Light rain and snow mixes in the
      afternoons and overnight kept it interesting.
      All of my hiking involved uphill climbs to high points and then downhill
      treks when homeward bound. Of course, none of these trails are just plain
      straight-up elevation gains; they all involve lots of "ups and downs". The
      trail conditions varied. Parts of the Newlin Creek Trail (one of my favorite
      hikes) are remnants of an old late 1800s sawmill road. The first couple of
      miles/kilometers of another hike, the Fremont Peak Trail, are over a
      very-rutted access road to a radio tower. Other sections of trails are
      simply beaten down pathways. And then, when I'm hiking in the Cooper
      Mountain area, there are no trails at all!

      This means, the terrain runs the gamut of packed down dirt (or mud at this
      time of year) to pebbly rocks, to broken up shale to hard granite slabs. At
      higher elevations, there was also loose to packed snow and ice. Oh, and on
      the Newlin Creek Trail, there are 18 stream crossings which at this time of
      year are sheer, thickly rippled ice!
      Obermeyer Tenley T-Neck in Action

      Since the calendar turned to spring, weather conditions in my neck of the
      Colorado woods have been really crazy; with temperatures from below freezing
      up to the mid - 80s F (30 C). We've even had a couple of freaky May
      snowfalls and more spring rain than I've become accustomed to seeing over
      the past couple of years. And I can't forget to mention the wind! Gusts up
      to 50 mph (81 km/h) have been quite common.

      All this means, I wore the Tenley often - very often! It is so versatile as
      a mid-layer, worn with a thin base layer and without that I can truthfully
      say I've worn it at least once a week, more often than not, twice.

      Mostly, I paired the T-Neck with a crew-neck bamboo or wool base layer.
      Despite the slim, close-fitting cut of the top, I had no trouble sliding it
      over any of my tops designated by their manufacturer as "base layers". I was
      happy to find the combination did not have me constantly pulling at the
      sleeves because my elbows or underarms felt squeezed.

      With such a base layer, the Tenley allowed me to be perfectly comfortable in
      the coldest weather I encountered while I was actively participating in
      hiking, snowshoeing, etc. When first starting out and/or at rest on the
      trail, I found covering the T-Neck with a windshell was sufficient to keep
      me toasty.

      At the opposite end of the temperature range, once the temperatures got up
      much past the freezing mark, I preferred the Tenley all by itself with a
      windshell utilized as above.

      When wearing the top solo, I would initially be mindful of the seams feeling
      a bit scratchy. I would mentally note, "I must comment on that". But as fast
      as the thought flitted through my consciousness, I would be totally
      oblivious of any irritation! Apparently, the seams don't matter much at all
      and the rest of the interior of the Tenley is smooth and VERY comfortable.

      Past 60 F (16 C), I just hike too darn hot for almost anything short of a
      tank top, so I've reluctantly packed away the T-Neck for summer now.

      Even when I got sweaty while wearing the Tenley solo, I did not get unduly
      uncomfortable. The top would get wet under my arms and on my back where my
      pack prevented any airflow. However, it appeared to wick well and at rest,
      with my pack off, I found the T-Neck almost dry after only 25 minutes or so.

      And while I'm on the subject of sweating, I never (nor did my hiking
      partners) noticed any rankness coming from the T-Neck. Nice!

      Despite the lack of rankness, I did wash the top several times these last
      almost 5 months and not because it stained easily either. I followed the
      instructions completely, drying the T-Neck on a plastic hanger outside in
      the shade. I used a technical sports wash which is my usual choice for all
      the clothing I designate for my "gear" closet".

      The Tenley bore up excellently without any bagging, sagging, misshapen seams
      or fading. In fact the shirt still looks like new.

      Because of the type of vegetation - very prickly and "grabby" - and my own
      clumsiness, I expected the T-Neck to look rather worn by now. I'm constantly
      brushing up against juniper trees, scraping on boulders, etc. I'm pleased to
      say the top has come through with flying colors with nary a snag or a pull
      to be found. Again, nice!

      Seam where zipper sticks a bit
      I particularly like the slanted side zipper. It's great to be able to vent
      a bit, especially with a thicker turtle-neck top. The fact that is a slanted
      zipper just is a neat style feature and also takes the zipper off my chest
      where some other zippers have caused minor irritations from being ground
      into my skin by my backpack chest strap. However, I have difficulty opening
      and closing the zipper.

      At first I thought it was just clumsiness on my part with the neck-to-side
      orientation, but after several attempts, I had to ask my husband to try. He,
      too, struggled a bit and even after all these months, I find the zipper
      sticks right where the collar is sewn to the top's body. The delicate nylon
      zipper - which has never come off track - just doesn't cope with the seam as
      well as I would like. Perhaps re-working the facing there would be a good
      thing and solve the problem.

      As for the neat little interior pocket at the cuff, I was late in
      discovering it's perfect for securing my MP3 player safely and preventing
      the ear bud cable from getting snagged and getting ripped out from my ears.
      I just insert the MP3 player in the pouch with the cable extended and
      threaded up the sleeve out through the collar. Of course, using the MP3
      player in this manner means a difficult time accessing the controls, but
      usually once I select one of my playlists, I'm good to go anyway. The pocket
      is also sized for maybe an ID, credit card or some cash, too.
      Interior Cuff "Pocket"

      Thumb Holes on Cuff
      The last feature I'll comment on are the thumb loops which until this past
      winter I would never have used and now can't imagine how I got by without
      them before. The loops on the Tenley T-Neck are generously sized and very
      well-placed. There is no pulling on my thumbs like so other tops I own and
      my hands are protected right down to the base of fingers. Even my thinnest
      glove liners glide over the cuffs well.

      STAR ATTRACTIONS

      1. Incredibly warm without bulk.
      2. Shapely and neat looking
      3. Wicks sweat and doesn't smell.

      MINOR DISTRACTIONS

      1. Zipper is difficult to open.
      2. Seams are scratchy.

      SUMMARY

      Sadly, until this past winter I had never heard of Obermeyer although my
      ski/snowboard-crazy son and daughter-in-law had. I say "sadly" because I've
      missed years of the enjoyment of wearing Obermeyer gear! Now that I've had
      the pleasure of wearing the Tenley T-Neck Top, I will definitely be on the
      lookout for more Obermeyer products.

      In the four months I have worn the Tenley, I've come to really appreciate
      the quality and thought that went into this top. By looks, feel and use, I
      can readily tell the materials are sturdy, the construction solid. As warmth
      is the basic raison d'etre (reason for being) for a base layer, I'm pleased
      to say, the Tenley exceeded my expectations

      Kathleen (Kathy) Waters
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14, 2010
          Hi Kathy,

          Thanks for the review. Here are your edits and folder.

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Shirts/Obermeyer%20Tenley%20T-Neck%20Top/

          On to the next oneĀ…

          Ray

          ***Material: E-TEX,

          EDIT: they spell it eTEX

          *** I had to ask my husband to try. He, too, struggled a bit and even after all these months,

          Comment: now Kathy, haven't you learned that husbands are the last person to figure out women's frustra, uh closures?

          ***There is no pulling on my thumbs like so other tops I own

          EDIT: like so "many"
        • Kathy Waters
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14, 2010
            Ray,

            Thanks for your edits, all done! As for "closures" - seems like you guys usually figure their alternates quickly enough though! <g>