OR - Osprey Map Wrap Map Case - Shane Williams

  • coloradosherpa14k
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2010
      This is my second OR. Thanks again to David Wilkes for pointing me in
      the right direction!

      --HTML Version:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Os\
      prey%20Map%20Wrap%20Map%20Case%20-%20Shane%20Williams/
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20O\
      sprey%20Map%20Wrap%20Map%20Case%20-%20Shane%20Williams/>

      --Text Version:
      Osprey Map Wrap Map Case
      By Shane Williams
      Owner Review
      June 13th, 2010

      Tester Information:
      Name: Shane Williams
      Age: 36 Height: 6ft (183 cm) (1.83 m)
      Weight: 183 lbs (86 kg)
      Email: Sherpa(dot)Colorado(at)Gmail(dot)com
      Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

      Biography:
      As a child I lived in the last house on a dead end street. Just beyond
      my house was a wilderness area. I started hiking and exploring there,
      and I've never stopped. I started backpacking in the South Eastern
      Appalachian Mountains, including portions of the Appalachian Trail.
      Today I primarily hike in the Colorado Rockies. My pack weight is
      approximately 30 (13.61 kg) to 50 lbs (22.68 kg). I often carrying more
      gear than necessary hoping that I won't need it. I enjoy weekend
      excursions into the High Country with friends and lower elevations day
      trips with my family.

      Product information:
      Manufacturer: Osprey
      Manufacture Date: 2008
      Website: http://www.ospreypacks.com/

      Rolled Dimensions:
      Width: 4 in (0.10 m)
      Length: 12.5 in (0.32 m)
      Weight: 3 oz (85 g)

      Open Dimensions:
      Width: 10.5 in (0.27 m)
      Length: 12.5 in (0.32 m)
      Weight: 3 oz (85 g)

      Weight as delivered: 3 oz (85 g)
      Manufacture Location: Cortez Colorado USA

      Field information:
      Test Location: Colorado Rockies
      Trips: La Plata Peak - Sawatch Range - March 27th, 2010 Temp: 10 - 35 F
      (-12.21 to 1.67 C)
      Mount Lindsey - Sangre De Cristo Range - June 12th, 2010 Temp:
      Temp: 36 - 50 F (2.22 to 10.00 C)
      Various Day Hikes around Colorado Springs

      Product Description:

      The Osprey Map Wrap Map Case is a lightweight, water resistant case
      designed to keep your maps dry and usable. It's constructed of highly
      water resistant, rip-stop nylon exterior. The Map Wrap Map Case has 2
      exterior straps, a Wrap Strap and a Quick Attachment Strap.

      The Wrap Strap made of durable nylon webbing and is 3/4 in (0.02 m) wide
      and 12 in (0.30 m) in length. The fixed end of the strap has a sewn
      fuzzy patch for fastening to the exterior rip-stop nylon, the other end
      has a stylish Osprey label. The reverse side of the label is a
      corresponding scratchy patch for fastening. When the case is in its
      tri-fold formation, this strap warps around the entire case, and latches
      it in the closed position.

      Map Wrap Strap [image1]

      The Quick Attachment Strap is also made of the same durable nylon
      webbing. It's 3/4 in (0.02 m) in width and 8 in (0.20 m) in length. This
      strap is folded at about half its length and has a black adjustable
      tri-glide buckle for quick attachment to a pack. Just below this strap
      is another stylish embossed Osprey label with the descriptive letters
      "Map Wrap".

      Quick Attachment Strap [image2]

      The exterior side of The Map Wrap is the water-sealed zipper by which
      the case can be opened to load or unload maps. This zipper is positioned
      along the left horizontal edge and is 11 in (0.28 m) in length. The
      zipper has an attached loop chord used as a handle. A portion of the
      chord has a raised plastic coating on it, making it easy to grab.

      zipper and handle [image3]

      The interior of The Map Wrap is constructed of a heavy-duty transparent
      thermoplastic urethane. This is side of the case is used as the window
      by which you can see your map. The entire side is a durable water
      resistant viewing panel. When a map isn't inside, there's a full color
      Osprey label visible.

      viewing window [image4]

      The edges of The Map Wrap are made of a single piece of rip-stop nylon
      that's been folded over the edges and sewn with a 1/8 in (0.125 m)
      stitch. This width of the edging is 3/8 in (0.01 m). The only seam
      that's visible is where the two ends of the edging come together, and
      that seam is sealed.

      closeup of the sewn edge [image5]

      Product Review:
      Having a map is an essential for any trip, short or long. I've been in a
      couple of situations where I didn't have a map, I decided to make it a
      priority. I purchased the National Geographic Topo! program. Knowing
      that this would require me to print my own maps, and that they wouldn't
      be quite as sturdy as the USGS Topos, I decided that I would also
      purchase a map case. Thus, my introduction to the product reviewed here.

      I've used this map case in varied conditions. I've had it totally
      covered in snow as well as water. I've yet to have it leak in the field.
      The manufacturer designates it as water resistant rather than
      waterproof. Being that it performed so well in the field, I was curious
      about this. That curiosity compelled me to give it a little more
      rigorous test. I fully submerged it underwater for 60 seconds. It did in
      fact leak and got my map wet but it wasn't fully soaked. The single
      point of failure was around the zipper area. The rest of the case held
      the water at bay.

      I typically keep The Map Wrap in an exterior side pocket on my pack. I
      also take a 3mm utility chord and tie one end to the Quick Attachment
      Strap, and the other end to a D ring on my packs shoulder harness. I do
      this for a couple of reasons. One, to ensure that the case doesn't
      inadvertently fall out. Two, because my external pocket is somewhat hard
      to reach while I'm wearing my pack. A gentle tug of the utility cord
      renders the map very accessible, which is key to frequent consultation.

      My setup [image6]

      intact while on the trail, and I think it does it well. The tri-fold
      design lends it's self nicely to packability. It holds it's own against
      water in the field.

      Pros
      - Compatible
      - Lightweight
      - Durable
      - Quick Attachment Strap

      Cons
      - If I could change anything about the Osprey Map Wrap Map Case, it
      would be to make it waterproof. The manufacturer openly states that it's
      water resistant and not waterproof, so it is "as advertised", but it
      would just be a nice addition.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2010
          Hello Shane,

          Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          *** Height: 6ft (183 cm) (1.83 m)

          EDIT: just pick one metric height to use, and you need a space after 6 (6 ft)

          ***Manufacturer: Osprey

          EDITS: it is Osprey Packs Inc

          ***Rolled Dimensions:
          Width: 4 in (0.10 m)
          Length: 12.5 in (0.32 m)
          Weight: 3 oz (85 g)

          Open Dimensions:
          Width: 10.5 in (0.27 m)
          Length: 12.5 in (0.32 m)

          EDIT: are these the "listed dimensions"? If so please state it, then put the "actual" dimensions

          ***Test Location: Colorado Rockies

          EDIT: you are reviewing this item, not testing it. Please change this to something like Field Locations, Areas of Use, etc.

          ***The Osprey Map Wrap Map Case is a lightweight, water resistant case designed to keep your maps dry and usable.

          EDIT: remember that we need to keep the reviews in the first person to avoid projection. No "you" and "your"s, just me and mine.

          *** The fixed end of the strap has a sewn fuzzy patch for fastening to the exterior rip-stop nylon, <snip> The reverse side of the label is a corresponding scratchy patch for fastening.

          EDIT: as Osprey says it is Velcro you can state that is what it is, instead of "fuzzy/scratchy"

          ***The exterior side of The Map Wrap is the water-sealed zipper by which the case can be opened to load or unload maps.

          EDIT: The exterior side of The Map Wrap "has" the water-sealed zipper

          *** The zipper has an attached loop chord used as a handle.

          EDIT: cord

          *** A portion of the chord has a raised plastic coating on it,

          EDIT: cord

          ***This is side of the case is used as the window by which you can see your map.

          EDITS: delete the first "is" and change the "your"

          *** I purchased the National Geographic Topo! program. Knowing that this would require me to print my own maps, and that they wouldn't be quite as sturdy as the USGS Topos, I decided that I would also purchase a map case. Thus, my introduction to the product reviewed here.

          Comment: you may want to reword this to reflect the way that you have decided to print the maps. I take it you print them on regular paper. You can certainly choose to use heavier paper that would be as sturdy as the USGS maps, or do as I do and print on water-proof map paper that is better than the USGS quads.

          *** That curiosity compelled me to give it a little more rigorous test. I fully submerged it underwater for 60 seconds. It did in fact leak and got my map wet but it wasn't fully soaked. The single point of failure was around the zipper area. The rest of the case held the water at bay.

          Comment: now that is what we like to see. That truly helps the reader know more about the item. Good job.

          *** I also take a 3mm utility chord

          EDIT: cord (Do you play guitar? ;-)

          *** and the other end to a D ring on my packs shoulder harness.

          EDIT: my "pack's" shoulder harness

          ***I do this for a couple of reasons. One, to ensure that the case doesn't inadvertently fall out.

          Comment: smart. It looks like you have a Talon on. I just lost a $300.00 camera out of the pocket of my Exos. Ow!

          *** It holds it's own against water in the field.

          EDIT: its own

          ***- Compactible

          EDIT: Compactable