Greetings from the Green Mountains

  • flavrt@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 16, 2010
      "We want to be sure everyone knows who is reporting."

      Dear Jerry,

      That's fine. But before we descend into the banality of forum administration, how about humanizing the discussion with a friendly hello. I'm a Vermont Yankee turned Florida snowbird, with a taste for dry trails and clear Western skies. Please call me Helly, as all my friends do. I was formerly known in the blogosphere as HelenW, but this winter my name was matrimonially hyphenated. So whenever you see Helen GW, you can be sure it's really me. My pen name is not a nom de guerre, nor fictional, nor deceptive. Just prudent.

      I linked to backpackgeartest.com from ula-equipment.com. Over the past 2 years, I've been busy researching, buying, making, and using a ton of UL outdoor recreation equipment. And I've been chatting online forever. So what could be better than a forum for discussing hiking gear? Maybe I can learn something and avoid a few disappointing purchases. You can view my current gear list here.

      https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnTeYt7qiEBgdF94U0tGdXVyLUtZbmdqNXU1MXFIWHc&hl=en

      I also live by the principle of reciprocal altruism. Whenever I take something of value, I intend to leave something in return. So let's see if we can reach an accommodation. If you can't accept Helen GW as my name, well then too bad for me. I'll read the reviews, keep my gear tests to myself, and the sun will still rise over the hill in the morning.

      Pumping forum participants for personal information is a quaint notion, but identity theft, confidence schemes, and acts of online retribution are rampant in our age. I've been stalked twice and there will be absolutely no more of that. This past January, I merely posted an image of some scenery from a unique hotel in Sedona. A fanatic drove nonstop overnight from SoCal, arrived unannounced at the hotel, and demanded a F2F with me. Since our RV is very distinctive, he would have tracked me right to our door. Fortunately I had taken the precaution of time-lagging my posts; we had already left the area 36 hours earlier. Also, I can't count the number of messages that read something like, 'Helen GW, we need to verify your credit card account.' If they had my legal name, it would put me into shopping paralysis. Life is too short to be defending myself constantly. So I actively block these invisible psychopaths at the gate in one easy step.

      And wouldn't it be a shame if I had to shoot some overwrought maniac in my driveway, just because he didn't like one of my unflinching reviews?

      Of course I share your concern for consistency and accuracy. So I promise to conform to your format as closely as possible, and avoid reviewing any gear that is sensitive to age, gender, or size bias. The truth is, those factors have no relevance to 90% of the reviews at BackpackGearTest, and nothing I'm interested in.

      How does that work for you? There is another review (Trail Design's Caldera Kitchen) in the pipeline, but I have no interest in provoking you or being disruptive by posting unacceptable content.

      Cordially, Helly
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2010
        Hi, Helly

        My name is Jerry Goller. I live at 760 Three Fountains Dr., #110, Murray,
        UT. My home phone number is 801-313-9339. I am a 63 year old male Viet Nam
        vet. I'm 6' tall and weigh a dainty 230 pounds. I'm diabetic due to Agent
        Orange exposure (Viet Nam vets exposed to Agent Orange have an incidence of
        Type 2 diabetes 70 times higher than the general population).. I draw 100%
        compensation from the VA for various wounds, conditions, and fairly serious
        PTSD. I have spent a good portion of my adult life under psychiatric care
        and medication. I spent almost 3 years in combat, in the field, in Viet Nam,
        in the Marine Corps. I spent most of my time in the Combined Action Program,
        living in the vills and training the local farmers, at least half of whom
        were on the other side. I tend to be quaint. If it weren't for spell
        checkers this would be virtually unreadable,

        I've never been stalked, except perhaps by ex-wives, and am unlikely to be.
        I'm just not that interesting. I'm not overly concerned about it. To be
        concerned would require a level of interest that is outside my emotional
        range.

        You are not required to give any personal information to BGT. You are only
        required to give your name (doesn't have to be your *full* legal name),
        general location, age, gender, and, if germane (like clothes and such) your
        approximate height and weight on reports.

        If you don't want to do that, no problem. Just don't write reports for us.

        BGT is not actually a social networking site. We test and report on
        backpacking gear, period.

        Reaching an accommodation is no problem. Follow the rules and we send you
        gear to report on. Don't and we don't. We require the information for what
        we believe are very good reasons and address what we see as shortcomings in
        other reporting sites.

        I hope this finds you well and clears up a few things for you.

        Have a nice day.

        Jerry

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/: the most comprehensive interactive gear
        reviews on the planet.

[...]