RE: [BackpackGearTest] New Leatherman Mini Multi-Tool

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2010
      Actually, your gender, age, and under certain circumstances, your body type
      or size is important. That is why we ask for it. The reader has a much
      better understanding of what you are saying if they understand *who* you
      are. Granted, on this particular item those things don't make any
      difference, but on most things they do. For consistency, we require the
      correct info on all reports.

      We also don't allow nom de plume ( or guerre), nick names, or trail names.
      We want to be sure everyone knows who is reporting.

      Jerry

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/: the most comprehensive interactive gear
      reviews on the planet.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2010
        "We want to be sure everyone knows who is reporting."

        Dear Jerry,

        That's fine. But before we descend into the banality of forum administration, how about humanizing the discussion with a friendly hello. I'm a Vermont Yankee turned Florida snowbird, with a taste for dry trails and clear Western skies. Please call me Helly, as all my friends do. I was formerly known in the blogosphere as HelenW, but this winter my name was matrimonially hyphenated. So whenever you see Helen GW, you can be sure it's really me. My pen name is not a nom de guerre, nor fictional, nor deceptive. Just prudent.

        I linked to backpackgeartest.com from ula-equipment.com. Over the past 2 years, I've been busy researching, buying, making, and using a ton of UL outdoor recreation equipment. And I've been chatting online forever. So what could be better than a forum for discussing hiking gear? Maybe I can learn something and avoid a few disappointing purchases. You can view my current gear list here.

        https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnTeYt7qiEBgdF94U0tGdXVyLUtZbmdqNXU1MXFIWHc&hl=en

        I also live by the principle of reciprocal altruism. Whenever I take something of value, I intend to leave something in return. So let's see if we can reach an accommodation. If you can't accept Helen GW as my name, well then too bad for me. I'll read the reviews, keep my gear tests to myself, and the sun will still rise over the hill in the morning.

        Pumping forum participants for personal information is a quaint notion, but identity theft, confidence schemes, and acts of online retribution are rampant in our age. I've been stalked twice and there will be absolutely no more of that. This past January, I merely posted an image of some scenery from a unique hotel in Sedona. A fanatic drove nonstop overnight from SoCal, arrived unannounced at the hotel, and demanded a F2F with me. Since our RV is very distinctive, he would have tracked me right to our door. Fortunately I had taken the precaution of time-lagging my posts; we had already left the area 36 hours earlier. Also, I can't count the number of messages that read something like, 'Helen GW, we need to verify your credit card account.' If they had my legal name, it would put me into shopping paralysis. Life is too short to be defending myself constantly. So I actively block these invisible psychopaths at the gate in one easy step.

        And wouldn't it be a shame if I had to shoot some overwrought maniac in my driveway, just because he didn't like one of my unflinching reviews?

        Of course I share your concern for consistency and accuracy. So I promise to conform to your format as closely as possible, and avoid reviewing any gear that is sensitive to age, gender, or size bias. The truth is, those factors have no relevance to 90% of the reviews at BackpackGearTest, and nothing I'm interested in.

        How does that work for you? There is another review (Trail Design's Caldera Kitchen) in the pipeline, but I have no interest in provoking you or being disruptive by posting unacceptable content.

        Cordially, Helly
      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 17, 2010
          Hi, Helly

          My name is Jerry Goller. I live at 760 Three Fountains Dr., #110, Murray,
          UT. My home phone number is 801-313-9339. I am a 63 year old male Viet Nam
          vet. I'm 6' tall and weigh a dainty 230 pounds. I'm diabetic due to Agent
          Orange exposure (Viet Nam vets exposed to Agent Orange have an incidence of
          Type 2 diabetes 70 times higher than the general population).. I draw 100%
          compensation from the VA for various wounds, conditions, and fairly serious
          PTSD. I have spent a good portion of my adult life under psychiatric care
          and medication. I spent almost 3 years in combat, in the field, in Viet Nam,
          in the Marine Corps. I spent most of my time in the Combined Action Program,
          living in the vills and training the local farmers, at least half of whom
          were on the other side. I tend to be quaint. If it weren't for spell
          checkers this would be virtually unreadable,

          I've never been stalked, except perhaps by ex-wives, and am unlikely to be.
          I'm just not that interesting. I'm not overly concerned about it. To be
          concerned would require a level of interest that is outside my emotional
          range.

          You are not required to give any personal information to BGT. You are only
          required to give your name (doesn't have to be your *full* legal name),
          general location, age, gender, and, if germane (like clothes and such) your
          approximate height and weight on reports.

          If you don't want to do that, no problem. Just don't write reports for us.

          BGT is not actually a social networking site. We test and report on
          backpacking gear, period.

          Reaching an accommodation is no problem. Follow the rules and we send you
          gear to report on. Don't and we don't. We require the information for what
          we believe are very good reasons and address what we see as shortcomings in
          other reporting sites.

          I hope this finds you well and clears up a few things for you.

          Have a nice day.

          To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/Yahoo!
          Groups Links

          database 5202 (20100616) __________