OWNER'S REVIEW - Platypus 2 Liter Bag

  • alexlofgran
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2010
      Review for: Platypus 2 Liter bag

      Name: Alex Lofgran
      Age: 24
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3"(190.5 cm)
      Weight: about 175 lbs.(about 79.5 kg)
      Email address: onhamae@...
      City, State, Country: Kent, WA, U.S.A.
      Date: June 12, 2010

      **Backpacking Background**

      As an Eagle Scout, I've have grown up camping and hiking most of my life. My parents, also been big hikers and campers (my mom, summited Mt. Rainier twice), have also played a big part in this area. In the past, I've stuck with tent-camping. However, at the moment, I'm building a hammock and getting into lightweight camping! I'll hike/camp anywhere and everywhere as the opportunities arise but I especially like the terrain in southern Utah. More often, though, I'll be here in a generally wet Washington, camping anywhere from the mountains down to the beaches.

      **Product Information**

      Manufacturer: Cascade Designs
      Date of Purchase: March 2006
      Manufacturer Website: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus
      Weight: 0.6 ounces
      Dimensions: 10 in. x 6 in.
      Purchase Price: about $10

      **Product Description**
      Out of the package, the Platypus comes with the water-bottle-bag itself, and a screw on cap. The Platypus 2L water bottle is a foldable plastic water storage device. As the Platypus is more of a "water bag", I will refer to it as such, even though it functions exactly like a water bottle. Various attachments can be used with the water bottle such as push/pull caps (like those on traditional water bottles), and drink tube kits, better known as "hydration packs".
      I received this platypus water bottle while I was serving a mission in the Cape Verde Islands, West Africa. The platypus was an enormous blessing as it fit in my small pack I carried around all day. Cape Verde is an extremely dusty, windy, and relatively hot, place (they are desert islands). I was constantly hiking up and down deep ravines and in 90+ degree heat, year-round, for 2 years. I spent the first year without the water bag and the second with, so I'm familiar with the difference. If I'd been carrying a traditional water bottle, I know I wouldn't have been able to pack as much water, and I probably would have noticed the weight difference. The Platypus is about as minimalistic as a water bottle can get. However, this doesn't discount the quality or strength of the product. The 3-ply plastic holds up against any thing that I came up against during the mission (and that includes falling on lava rock several times). I never had the bottle leak through the screw-on cap either. Another plus is that the bottom of the Platypus expands so it can stand on its own; you don't have to lie it down on its side to set it down. The main difficult with the Platypus is cleaning it. The narrow entryway makes it very difficult. Then again, as long as you leave the cap off and let the water evaporate after your trip, you shouldn't have a problem with things growing inside.

      **SUMMARY**

      The Good:

      ·Compact
      ·Lightweight
      ·Durable

      The Bad:
      ·Nightmare to clean

      In short, I would highly recommend this product to anyone. I've used other products similar to it (i.e. Camelback), but nothing matches up to the durability, versatility, and usability, of this product (and especially for its price).
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2010
          Hello Alex

          Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

          A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

          Ray

          EDIT: your review needs a title. It needs to state which model of Platypus bottle you have as it is not obvious to me what you have.

          ***Weight: about 175 lbs.(about 79.5 kg)

          EDIT: can you put the actual weight, not "about" please. I understand we all fluctuate, but as we need to precise with our gear weights we may as well pretend we are with our own. ;-)

          ***City, State, Country: Kent, WA, U.S.A.

          EDIT: please spell out the state for the benefit of our international readers

          Date: June 12, 2010

          ***Weight: 0.6 ounces

          EDIT: you need Metric (or Imperial) conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, etc.

          ***Dimensions: 10 in. x 6 in.

          EDIT: you need Metric (or Imperial) conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, etc.

          ***Purchase Price: about $10

          EDIT: this needs to be headed "MSRP" and only have the actual MSRP from the manufacturer, not what you paid

          ***Out of the package, the Platypus comes with the water-bottle-bag itself,
          and a screw on cap. The Platypus 2L water bottle is a foldable plastic water
          storage device.

          EDIT: please go to the web site and figure out what you have and change the name to match

          *** If I'd been carrying a traditional water bottle, I know I wouldn't have been able to pack as much water, and I probably would have noticed the weight difference.

          Edit: as the first year you must have been using traditional bottles this does not make sense.

          ***Another plus is that the bottom of the Platypus expands so it can stand on its
          own; you don't have to lie it down on its side to set it down.

          EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s, just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

          Projection

          "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

          This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

          We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

          "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

          *** The main difficult with the Platypus is cleaning it.

          EDIT: The main "difficulty" with the Platy

          *** Then again, as long as you leave the cap off and let the water evaporate after your trip, you shouldn't have a problem with things growing inside.

          EDIT: the "you, your" thing again

          ***I've used other products similar to it (i.e. Camelback),

          EDIT: we do not do comparisons. We just review the gear on its own merits

          Something else to think about is putting a Field Data, Field Locations, Places I've Used the Gear, etc section in the review. Look at other Owner Reviews for examples. I take it that you have used the bottle backpack too, right? It is good to know this as we do focus on use backpacking. Also, where did you carry the bottle? In the side pocket of your day pack? The back pocket? Inside? Did you ever freeze water in it to keep it cold through the day? Ever put anything besides water in it? If so did the material retain flavors?