OR- OR Deluxe Spring Ring Headnet- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2010
      Hi OR team,

      I've posted an Owner Review for a bug headnet.  I hope it fits into the requested headwear category and I get a bp. ;)

      Here is the link and text.  Thanks in advance for providing edits.

      Nancy

      http://tinyurl.com/2d946fj

      OUTDOOR RESEARCH DELUXE SPRING RING HEADNET
      BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      OR
      June 05, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 44
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long.  I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and hiking poles.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "BugAway">>Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.outdoorresearch.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.outdoorresearch.com">>
      MSRP: $18  US
      Listed Weight: 2.2 oz (62 g)
      Measured Weight: 2.1 oz (60 g)
      One Size: 22.5 to 25 in (57 to 61 cm) Hat Size US 7 1/8 to 7 5/8
      My head size: 22 in (56 cm)

      The headnet is made of a no-see-um nylon mesh which is attached to a round piece of nylon at the top.  At the bottom is a drawstring and cord lock which can be adjusted to close up any gaps between the mesh and my clothing.  There is a spring ring metal hoop mid-way down the mesh which holds the mesh out away from my face.  The spring ring can be folded up so that it and the mesh can be tucked into a built-in pocket in the crown and held closed with a snap.  The spring ring folds up in a similar manner to those round car windshield shades.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "How to Fold">>
      'Instructions
      With one hand on top of the ring, and one under, twist the ring into a figure eight (fig. 1), then continue twisting in the same direction while bringing hands together (fig. 2). This will cause the ring to collapse into three smaller circles. Wrap the pouch halves around the whole thing to keep it together.'

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "In Use">>I used the headnet on multiple backpacking and boat camping trips last summer.  Some examples of my trips include:

      Boat Camping:
      Loon Lake, Sierra Nevada (California): 3 days/2 nights; 6,200 ft (1,890 m); 50 to 75 F (10 to 24 C); very heavy mosquito activity at dusk

      Backpacking:
      Pacific Crest Trail, Sierra Nevada (California): 4 days/3 nights; 29 mi (47 km); 7,820 to 9,000 ft (2,384 to 2,743 m); 45 to 75 F (7 to 24 C); heavy mosquito activity especially on 2nd evening

      Pacific Crest/Tahoe Rim Trail, Sierra Nevada (California): 3 days/2 nights; 7,390 to 9,010 ft (2,252 to 2,746 m); 50 to 85 F (10 to 29 C).  The mosquito conditions were typically heavy at dusk but only a problem in wet areas during the daytime.

      The Outdoor Research BugAway Headnet worked well for keeping those pesky mosquitoes away from my face and neck.  It fit easily over various hats and also fit fine without any hat on at all.  I preferred to use it with a hat to help hold it away from my forehead.

      The spring ring holds the netting out away form my face and hangs down long enough to completely cover my neck.  The drawstring on the bottom of the net allows me to adjust the lower opening when need to better prevent the mosquitoes from entering.

      The net causes body heat to be held in and limits visibility.  I found myself not wanting to use it in warm conditions unless the mosquitoes were really bothering me.  Of course warm conditions are when the mosquitoes are out in full force, so I did find the usefulness to be limited.  When I did use it, it definitely worked.  I carry it only when I know that mosquito activity is going to be heavy.

      I stored the net with it tucked into the pocket in the crown.  It stuffed easily into my backpack.  I never took particular care to protect the headnet while in my pack but the spring ring did not get distorted at all.  The durability seems good; the headnet still appears as new.

      SUMMARY

      The Outdoor Research BugAway Headnet was very effective in keeping mosquitoes away from my face and neck.  It holds in heat which limited the amount of times that I chose to use it.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Keeps mosquitoes away from my face
      Fits with or without a hat
      Length of net is adequate to cover my neck
      Not having to use as much insect repellent

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Netting holds in body heat
      Netting affects vision

      SIGNATURE