RE: [BackpackGearTest] OR - MEC Capri Top - Andrea Murland

  • hoorah5684@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2010
      Nice
      -----Original Message-----
      Date: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:30:14 pm
      To: BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com
      From: "ringrat55" <amurland@...>
      Subject: [BackpackGearTest] OR - MEC Capri Top - Andrea Murland

      I'm going to throw an OR into the mix too...hopefully for a brownie point. =)
      Andrea

      HTML is here: http://tinyurl.com/2b9t9qq

      Text follows.
      ---
      MEC Capri Top (Women's)
      Owner Review by Andrea Murland
      May 6, 2010

      Tester Information:

      Name: Andrea Murland
      Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
      Age: 24
      Location: Rossland, British Columbia, Canada
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
      Weight: 125 lb (57 kg)

      I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent 2 months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2-3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don't have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don't consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC)
      Manufacturer's URL: www.mec.ca
      Model: Capri Top (Women's)
      Year of Manufacture: Assumed 2008
      MSRP: CAD $17.00

      Sizes Available: XS, S, M, L
      Size Reviewed: S
      Colour Reviewed: French Blue
      Other Colours Available: Black, Tutti Frutti

      Listed Weight: 129 g (4.5 oz) for Medium
      Measured Weight: 117 g (4.1 oz)

      The MEC Capri top is a lightweight tank top with a built-in shelf bra for low-impact activities. It has thin straps and a racer-back style, so the straps come between the shoulder blades. The material of the body is 86% nylon and 14% spandex, and the bra lining is 90% polyester and 10% spandex. The bottom of the bra lining has a strip of elastic that is 2.3 cm (0.9 in) wide. From the top of the shoulder to the bottom of the top is 51 cm (20.1 in). The top has a MEC logo on the left side at the hem, a printed label on the bra lining indicating the size and that it's made in Canada, and a cloth tag on a side seam with the care instructions.

      Field Conditions:

      My Capri top has been worn a lot for hiking and climbing. Even if I'm wearing layers for warmth, I usually have this top as my base layer just in case it gets warm enough to take off the layers on top. I received this top in early 2008 and have since worn it for about 16 day-hikes, 53 days of backpacking, 7 days of outdoor rock climbing, 20 indoor climbing sessions, and 10 yoga classes. It gets washed just about every time I do laundry... This top has been slept in about 35 nights while backpacking, and has also been used several times as an impromptu bathing suit at not-very-secluded mountain lakes. I have worn it in temperatures up to 40 C (104 F) and down to freezing, in sunshine, rain, sleet, and the odd snowstorm. My top has been washed a lot of times in the washing machine, but always hung to dry (it might have been through the dryer once or twice). It's also been washed numerous times in sinks and streams, with and without soap.

      Review:

      The MEC Capri top is my
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2010

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        Edit Administration Manager