Thank you Chad Poindexter - Re: OR - SMARTWOOL MEDIUM HIKING CREW -

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2010

      If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

      Edit Administration Manager

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Stick" <stick1377@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > lower leg. And while wearing the socks with my boots, they are some of
      > the most comfortable socks I have worn.
      >
      > I actually bought these socks at the same time that I bought my Merrell
      > hiking boots. While in the store I grabbed these socks off the rack to
      > try on with the boots so that I could get the right size boots. So,
      > right from the get-go, these socks have worked well with these boots.
      > However, why wouldn't they feel comfortable since both the socks and the
      > boots were right off the shelf? To remedy this, since then I have put
      > approximately 140 miles on my boots, and I have worn these socks while
      > doing so for all except about thirty of those miles. However, I have
      > probably put at least those missed thirty miles on the socks while
      > wearing them with some of my other shoes.
      >
      > The socks have held up very well from this use. The socks have done a
      > wonderful job at staying in place around my foot, despite a long days
      > hike in the mountains. And thanks to the ribbed design the socks do
      > extremely well at staying up on my legs. While there has been a few
      > times that I have reached down to pull my socks up, it was not
      > necessarily because they were slipping down, but more so out of habit.
      > Overall I am impressed with the socks ability to stay up around my legs.
      >
      > And true to SmartWool's promise, I have not had any issues with moisture
      > build up while wearing these socks. However, the real plus to this is
      > that I have not had any blisters, or even hot spots, while wearing these
      > socks. Another great thing about this is that the odor has in fact, been
      > minimal.
      >
      > I have learned to be careful while washing these socks as they pill very
      > easily. After the first two or three washings I realized this and have
      > since began turning the socks inside out while washing. According to the
      > washing instructions on these socks, wash on gentle cycle in warm water,
      > and tumble dry on low. Here is a picture of the socks piling.
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5">>
      > Overall these socks are awesome. They are comfortable, and they have
      > held up well over time. Other than the piling, the socks are the same as
      > the day I bought them. They still fluff up well, and are still very
      > soft. I will be purchasing a few more pairs of these to wear on a daily
      > bases once the temperatures cool down again.
      >
      > THE GOOD
      >
      > 1. The comfort.
      > 2. They are not to thick to wear with a wide range of footwear.
      > 3. They are warm.
      > 4. They stay in place on my foot.
      > 5. They stay up on my leg.
      > 6. They take a few days of wear before stinking.
      > 7. The elastic retains its elasticity over time.
      > 8. They are quick to dry out.
      >
      > NOT SO GOOD
      >
      > 1. The price.
      > 2. They pill easily.
      >
      > SIGNATURE
      >
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4">>

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2010
        Hi Chad,

        My turn to beat up on you. ;-) Here you go. Once corrected you may upload to:

        Reviews > Clothing > Socks > SmartWool Hiking Medium Crew
        Or: http://tinyurl.com/29y7ox5

        ***Manufacturer's Website: www.smartwool.com

        EDIT: this is not working for me. It needs to go here
        https://www.smartwool.com/

        SmartWool also added in an arch brace to their design, which both provides support to the arches, as well as helps to hold the sock in place

        Edit: delete "both"

        ***SmartWool also takes pride in their socks ability to manage moisture as well as odor-control. The SmartWool socks actually absorb moisture while it is still in the form of a vapor rather than an actual liquid. The vapor is then transferred through the SmartWool and then evaporates as it reaches the outside of the sock. This is also the reason for SmartWool's success in controlling odor. Since the moisture is not allowed to form a liquid, bacteria is not able to successfully grow, which results in less odor.

        Comment: I don't know if I should make this an edit or not. This is straight from their marketing stuff in Woolology. And it is not really correct. If you are hiking hard enough or it is warm enough it is going to get wet. I have a half dozen of these socks. (I love `em) I soak them on a regular basis. They don't stink "as much" because wool is naturally anti-microbial.

        ***I have bought two pairs of these socks almost one year ago,

        EDIT: delete "have"

        *** and they are comfortable the way the hug my foot.

        EDIT: the way "they" hug my foot

        *** However, why wouldn't they feel comfortable since both the socks and the boots were right off the shelf? To remedy this,

        EDIT: huh? To remedy what? What was wrong? Do you mean, "to verify they are comfortable on the trail I wore them for…"

        ***since then I have put approximately 140 miles on my boots, and I have worn these socks while doing so for all except about thirty of those miles. However, I have probably put at least those missed thirty miles on the socks while wearing them with some of my other shoes.

        EDIT: need the metric conversions

        *** While there has been a few times that I have reached down to pull my socks up,

        EDIT: While there "have" been a few times that I have reached down to pull my socks up

        *** After the first two or three washings I realized this and have since began turning the socks inside out while washing.

        EDIT: begun

        ***2. They are not to thick to wear with a wide range of footwear.

        EDIT: too

        ***5. They stay up on my leg.

        Comment: I knew a dog like that ;-)
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 11 , May 14, 2010
          OK let's try this again Chad. Here are your edits, once done you may upload to

          Reviews > Clothing > Socks > SmartWool Hiking Medium Crew

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer's Website: www.smartwool.com

          EDIT: your hyperlink is wrong. It does not go to the site

          ***SmartWool also takes pride in their socks ability to manage moisture as well as odor-control. The SmartWool socks actually absorb moisture while it is still in the form of a vapor rather than an actual liquid. The vapor is then transferred through the SmartWool and then evaporates as it reaches the outside of the sock. This is also the reason for SmartWool's success in controlling odor. Since the moisture is not allowed to form a liquid, bacteria is not able to successfully grow, which results in less odor.

          Comment: I really don't like to see marketing hyperbole put into our reviews. That comes from their Woolology page and is kind of bunk. I have about 4 or 5 pairs of these too. (I love `em) I get them wet every trip. And the reason they control odor is because wool is naturally anti-microbial.

          ***I have bought two pairs of these socks almost one year ago,

          EDIT: delete "have"

          *** To remedy this, since then I have put approximately 140 miles on my boots, and I have worn these socks while doing so for all except about thirty of those miles. However, I have probably put at least those missed thirty miles on the socks while wearing them with some of my other shoes.

          EDIT: need metric conversions. Also I don't understand using "remedy". What were you fixing?

          ***2. They are not to thick to wear with a wide range of footwear.

          EDIT: not "too" thick
        • Stick
          Message 4 of 11 , May 15, 2010
            Ray,

            Thanks for the edits. I got them yesterday and started working on it, but for some reason, I cannot get the link to work. I have copied and pasted till my fingers hurt, and it never works. It seems like the link is breaking once I paste it to the BGT Report Writer. I even created a whole new file in the writer to see if just the one file was messed up, but it did not work either. I am really clueless as to why it is not working. And yes, it is the right link. It is the SmartWool homepage. I even went through one of your reports to the SmartWool site and tried that. Not working.
            So I will attempt to create it as a Microsoft Word document and paste it in that way, and maybe it will work. I am not sure I know haoe to upload this into the BGT, but I will work on it.
            So, thanks for the edits, again.

            Chad

            > OK let's try this again Chad. Here are your edits, once done you may upload to
            >
            > Reviews > Clothing > Socks > SmartWool Hiking Medium Crew
            >

            > Ray
            >

            > ***Manufacturer's Website: www.smartwool.com
            >
            > EDIT: your hyperlink is wrong. It does not go to the site
            >

            > ***SmartWool also takes pride in their socks ability to manage moisture as well as odor-control. The SmartWool socks actually absorb moisture while it is still in the form of a vapor rather than an actual liquid. The vapor is then transferred through the SmartWool and then evaporates as it reaches the outside of the sock. This is also the reason for SmartWool's success in controlling odor. Since the moisture is not allowed to form a liquid, bacteria is not able to successfully grow, which results in less odor.
            >
            > Comment: I really don't like to see marketing hyperbole put into our reviews. That comes from their Woolology page and is kind of bunk. I have about 4 or 5 pairs of these too. (I love `em) I get them wet every trip. And the reason they control odor is because wool is naturally anti-microbial.
            >

            > ***I have bought two pairs of these socks almost one year ago,
            >
            > EDIT: delete "have"
            >

            > *** To remedy this, since then I have put approximately 140 miles on my boots, and I have worn these socks while doing so for all except about thirty of those miles. However, I have probably put at least those missed thirty miles on the socks while wearing them with some of my other shoes.
            >
            > EDIT: need metric conversions. Also I don't understand using "remedy". What were you fixing?
            >

            > ***2. They are not to thick to wear with a wide range of footwear.
            >
            > EDIT: not "too" thick

          • Ray
            Message 5 of 11 , May 15, 2010
              In the Report Writer for the one you want linked put:

              https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm

              The one you want to print can stay like you have it, just change the actual hyperlink to the above
            • Stick
              Message 6 of 11 , May 15, 2010
                Ray,

                That is exactly what I had in the first time. I had it in the actually link line (the first one), and then I typed in the www.smartwool.com in the second line.

                I am not sure what is going on, it is like the link breaks when I apply it into the BGT writer. I have converted it all on a MS Word document, but am not sure how to upload it to BGT....

                I don't know. I will play with it a little more. If I cannot fix it I guess I just won't post it.

                Chad

                Message 7 of 11 , May 15, 2010
                  Ray,

                  I have played with it and played with it. I had the exact same link applied in the the "http://" box in the BGT writer. Finally, I left the link the same, but took the "s" off the end of the https, and now it works. For me anyway. So, I have posted it in the home that you made for it. If you don't mind will you check it to see if it works for you, just for some verification please.

                  Thanks,
                  Chad

                  > In the Report Writer for the one you want linked put:
                  >
                  > https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm
                  >
                  > The one you want to print can stay like you have it, just change the actual hyperlink to the above

                • Mike Mosack
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 16, 2010
                    Chad,
                    I tried the link both ways - with https:// and http:// - what I found was that both ways worked fine for me. In fact, the MFG official site or my computer made the switch over to https:// on its own and appears that the MFG has their web page set up this way.
                    https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm appears to be the correct web address
                    Hope this is helpful
                    Mike Mosack

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 16, 2010