First Review

  • Chris Stapleton
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2010
      Jet Boil Personal Cooking System
      Name: Chris Stapleton
      Age: 17
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’4”/193cm
      Weight:15’6”/97kg I think?
      Email address:chris_stapleton@...
      City, State, Country: Bedfordshire, England
      Backpacking Background:  I tend to do a lot of biking and day walking around the local national trust area (no biking inside I’m afraid), although I do a lot of mountaineering in Cumbria and Wales in the summer months.  I climb indoors, and am a basic paddler.  I have been walking since I was a toddler, hiking since I was 12, backpacking since I was 13, and climbing and canoeing started when I was about 16.
      I apologise in advance for my poor English skills.
      This nifty little stove, made by Jet Boil, in my eyes, is at the top of its game.  My one is the series three, produced in 2008/2009 http://www.jetboil.com/.%c2%a0 Its listed weight is 425g,(0.9lbs) but actually weighs 465g (1lb)
      Basically, it’s a single person cooking system, designed with economy in mind.  It uses a flux ring on the bottom of the product to disperse the heat more evenly throughout the base of the cooking pot.  It comes in a 1l capacity, which snugly fits a wayfarer, and boils this in two minutes, according to jetboil, although I would say its nearer to five.
      I have tested this in countless terrains, all types of English weather (including the snow of 2009/2010).  As you can guess this means wind, rain, freezing weather, to put it bluntly... and it came out on top form.  It outperformed any of the competitors in the group (mainly the MSR pocket Rocket with the average mess tin) in speed of cooking, and efficiency, but it isn’t for the ultra lightweight backpacker, especially if they have small pockets (it costs £70 in Apr 2010) .  If you want to cook straight from the pan, steer well clear, it’s pure hell to wash up, especially with its intense heat burning anything in its path, but if you’re happy, and wealthy enough to live off wayfarers for the trip, its ideal.  You may want to be weary of the fact that the power control being below the opening on the pot, which is hard to remove from the stove, as an overflowing jet boil pouring down as you turn it off isn’t the nicest of ways to wake up
      after a night wild, or an night at that matter.  It can also be a little top heavy, so be warned.
      In summary I would rate this at four out of five stars.
      Pros Cons
      Efficient Expensive
      Powerful Can only cook bagged food
      Tidy/smart looking Heavy

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2010
        Hello Chris and welcome to BackpackGearTest.org

        Thank you for your Owner Review and your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now your review is lacking in some areas and cannot be accepted for editing at this time. This has nothing to do with your "English" btw. It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. At this point you have two options:

        1) Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line.

        2) Take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below). In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

        Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

        Edit Administration Manager