OR - Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants - Chad Poindexter

  • Stick
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2010
      Fellow Editors,

      Here is one more OR to add to the list. Hope the editing is easy enough!
      :)

      The HTML is here:

      Columbia Convertible Pants <http://tinyurl.com/27ebzgs>

      And the text will follow.

      Thanks for the time and the edits,

      Chad

      COLUMBIA SILVER RIDGE CONVERTIBLE PANTS
      BY Chad Poindexter
      OR
      May 03, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chad Poindexter
      EMAIL: chad (DOT) poindexter (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I am a fairly new hiker and have hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains
      National Park, on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, and at a few state
      parks in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. I initially obtained
      slightly heavy gear, however, I am currently making efforts to go
      lighter. I love my tent and appreciate a warm drink in the morning, as
      well as a warm meal at night. So far my distance has averaged around 10
      mi (16 km) per day, depending on terrain. My wife or my son typically
      tag along with me on my hikes.

      PRODUCT SPECS & INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Courtesy of
      Columbia">>
      Manufacturer: Columbia Sportswear Company
      Year of Purchase: 2009
      "http://www.columbia.com/" LINK TEXT = "www.columbia.com">>
      MSRP: (US) $ 55.00
      Listed Weight: N / A
      Measured Weight: 12.6 oz (357 g)
      Size Tested: Large (Also Available: S, M, XL, XXL)
      Inseam: 32 in (81 cm) (Also Available: 30 & 34 in (76 & 86 cm))
      Zip-Off Legs Converts Pants to Shorts with 10 in (25 cm) Inseam
      (Inseam On Pants & Shorts Have Both Been Verified Accurate)
      Color Tested: Fossil (Other Colors Available: Grill, Sage, Shade, &
      Suede)
      Made from 100% Nylon Mini Rip Fabric
      Elasticized Waist Band
      Total of 7 Pockets
      Advanced Technologies: Omni-Dry & Omni-Shade (UPF 30)
      Included: 43.5 x 1 in (110 x 2.5 cm) Nylon Belt With Plastic Sliding
      Buckle
      Part of the Titanium Series
      Made In Indonesia

      The Columbia Silver Ridge Convertible Pants (hereafter referred to as
      the "pants" or the "shorts") are part of the Columbia Titanium
      Collection, which is a blend of "innovative design, fabrics and
      technologies with an active fit for intense activity. " Basically these
      pants are made to be light-weight, durable, and comfortable for the
      active person. Also, thanks to the zip-off feature, these pants can be
      worn as either pants or as shorts, so they are ready for just about any
      situation. The nylon Mini Rip material is tough as nails, but likes to
      be treated delicately while in the wash. The elasticized waist band
      allows for a comfortable fit, and the belt is sure to hold the pants up
      if they happen to be just a little loose after a long days hike. And
      with two front slant pockets, a third front slant pocket that zips
      closed, two cargo pockets with nylon pull tabs and hook-and-loop
      closures, and two back pockets (one of which also zips closed and the
      other has a hook-and-loop closure) there is plenty of room to store more
      than I need to carry.

      Columbia even went a step farther by including the Omni-Dry Technology
      which is the ultimate moisture management. This technology is a
      three-step process:

      1. Perspiration from the body is absorbed (wicked) into the material.
      2. The moisture spreads out across the material.
      3. The moisture evaporates from the material.

      The end result of the Omni-Dry Technology is dry clothing and a cool,
      comfortable person.

      Columbia didn't stop there. They took it another step farther by using
      the Omni-Shade Technology which gives these pants a UPF (Ultraviolet
      Protection Factor) rating of 30. The Omni-Shade Technology stops the
      harmful Ultraviolet (UV) rays three different ways:

      1. Using a tight-weave fabric to block the UV rays.
      2. Using UV reflectors.
      3. Using UV absorbing Technology.

      The Omni-Shade Technology not only stops the Ultraviolet A rays, but
      also the more harmful Ultraviolet B rays that are even present when the
      sun is hidden behind the clouds. According to Columbia, the UPF does not
      wear off of the clothing, so the protection is always present. Also,
      Columbia notes that sun-protective fabrics with a minimum of UPF 30 are
      given the Seal of Recommendation from The Skin Cancer Foundation. (More
      can be read through Columbia's website.)

      WEARING THEM IN (OR OUT)

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "At Amicalola
      Falls">>I have worn these pants at least thirty times and washed them as
      many as twenty. I have worn them on quite a few day hikes as well as
      overnight trips to some of the local state parks around my home. I have
      worn them in most every condition: rainy, windy, hot, cold, and even
      snowy. I have worn them while hiking down well maintained dirt and / or
      rocky trails, as well as down trails that were grown over and in
      desperate need of maintenance. Also, I have used knee-high gaiters in
      conjunction with these pants to trudge through snow.

      I have worn these pants on a five day, 40 mile (64 km) hike on the
      Appalachian Trail (AT) in north Georgia beginning behind the Amicalola
      Falls State Park Visitor Center and ending at Neels Gap. Temperatures
      ranged from 61 - 85 F (16 - 29 C). The days were mostly sunny with a few
      slightly rainy and humid days. Elevations ranged from 1,770 - 4,450 ft
      (539 - 1,356 m). The trails were well maintained and were a mixture of
      dirt and rocks.

      I have also wore these pants while on a three day hike to Sipsey
      Wilderness last November. The temperatures were around 25 - 40 F (-4 to
      4 C) and mostly sunny. The trails were well maintained here and
      consisted of mostly dirt with some rocks, however, there were a few
      places I had to actually climb over rocks, and others where I even had
      to squeeze between wet and slimy rock walls. There was plenty of
      moisture in the air here as we were hiking inside a boxed-canyon and
      following the Sipsey river the whole time.

      More recently, this past January, I was able to take these pants with me
      on a three day hike in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The
      temperatures were around about 20 - 35 F (-7 to 2 C). The trails here
      were generally well maintained and consisted of a mixture of rocks and
      dirt with occasional roots and blow downs on the trail that we had to
      crawl over from recent storms. When we began our hike at the Alum Cave
      Trail head at an elevation of 3,830 ft (1,170 m) we encountered a few
      patches of ice that covered sections of the trail. As we made it to the
      top of Mt. LeConte at an elevation of 6,593 ft (2,010 m) we were
      post-holing through snow that sometimes was knee-deep. We also
      encountered wind gust around 35- 40 mph (56 -64 kph) while crossing some
      of the ridges.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "On top of
      Charlies Bunion on the AT">>

      HOW THEY DID

      I bought these pants at an REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.), and when
      I did I tried on about 5 other different name brand pants. The Columbia
      pants just plain fit me better and moved with me better than any of the
      other well-known name brand pants I tried on. Also, out of all the other
      pants I was trying on, there was only one other pair that was as cheap
      as these, and that was because they were marked down on clearance (the
      Columbia pants were marked at normal price)! The waist fit me well, and
      the elastic in the waistline at the back of the pants only made them
      more comfortable feeling. The pants felt wispy against my legs and
      allowed air to circulate and the pants to breathe easily. Even where the
      pants zipped off was not uncomfortable, as I have found many others to
      be because of the bulky zipper that encircled my thigh.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "River crossing
      at Sipsey">>
      One of the first things I noticed about these pants was the light weight
      and how thin they felt. Regardless though, they have held up very well
      to the abuse that I have put them through while on the trail. There is
      not one single hole anywhere in the pants (other than the ones that are
      supposed to be there). Even the bottom on the back of the pant's legs
      are not worn, where so many of my other pants begin to wear quickly from
      being under my heels while walking, however, these fit around my boots
      well enough to generally keep the pants from slipping under my boots.
      Even across the butt there are no worn spots from sitting on all the
      rocks or the ground to enjoy a snack or a lunch or even after a long day
      of hiking and just taking a break.

      There are, however, some stains that haven't completely come out in the
      wash across the butt and at the back near the bottom of the legs. The
      washing instructions call for a gentle wash cycle in cold water, then
      tumble dry on low as well, however, I typically just throw them in the
      wash on regular cycle (using cold water), then dry them in the dryer
      with the rest of my clothes on regular cycle and there has been no
      damage done. I have even used some of the stain treatments that rub in
      with a brush, and while they have helped to remove the stains, they have
      not caused any harm to the pants. I will occasionally take the pants out
      of the washer and let them air dry instead of using the dryer. Also,
      these pants can work up an odor after a few days of constant use, but it
      is not as bad as some of the other synthetic clothing that I wear. Also,
      they are easy enough to wash out in a stream or river and they dry out
      very quickly due to the thin nylon that they are made of.

      As for features, these pants have them! Even though while hiking I do
      not carry much at all in my pockets, I am pleased with the amount of
      space to store stuff in the many pockets available. I especially like
      the front slanted zipper pocket and the back zippered pocket. I will
      usually keep a hanky in one of the front open pockets, and my camera in
      the front zippered pocket. I can also carry my wallet or just my
      personal ID and some cash in my back zippered pocket without worrying
      about losing them. I also enjoy the belt. It snaps simply and securely
      in the front, and then is easily adjusted simply by pulling the nylon
      belt through the plastic clasp. The belt is nice to have, especially on
      multi-day hikes where my waistline seems to temporarily shrink. Also, a
      nice little extra is the extra button attached to one of the tags in the
      pants. That could be a very handy thing to have in case the one on the
      front broke loose without my knowledge and was lost.

      It is very nice to be able to only carry these one pair of pants and be
      able to quickly convert them to shorts just by simply unzipping the
      legs. The only problem is that I then have to carry the legs, however,
      the weight of the unzipped legs is probably just a touch lighter than
      the weight of carrying an extra pair of dedicated shorts. One other
      problem is that if I want to take the legs off I must stop and take my
      boots off first to be able to take the legs completely off, or to put
      them back on. In cases where I only need to have the pants raised up
      momentarily, I have found that it is easier for me to just roll the
      pants legs up (such as in the picture above right where I am crossing
      the Sipsey River in sub-freezing temperatures).

      Overall, I have been very pleased with these pants. I would definitely
      replace them with another pair if anything happened to this pair. Even
      though I like the Fossil color more than the others I would reconsider
      the other colors simply because these show dirt very easily. I would
      definitely recommend these to anyone looking for some good light-weight
      hiking pants, and have a few times already.

      THINGS THAT ARE GOOD

      1. Comfort. The pants fit me very well.
      2. Plenty of pockets, and some are even zippered.
      3. The pants can easily convert to shorts.
      4. They are light-weight.
      5. They breathe very well.
      6. They dry out very fast.
      7. They clean up very easily.
      8. They came with an easily-adjustable belt.
      9. They even came with an extra button attached to the tags inside the
      pants.
      10.They are very durable.
      11. The price is lower than on a lot of other "hiking" pants.

      THINGS THAT ARE NOT-SO-GOOD

      1. The light color of the pants allows the dirt to really stand out.
      2. After a few days they do have an odor, however, not as bad as would
      be expected.
      3. I have to carry the legs when I convert them to shorts.
      4. I have to take my boots off to take the legs off.

      WHO I AM

      Chad Poindexter
      "Stick"

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2010

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        Edit Administration Manager