REVISED - OR - Patagonia Men's Capilene 1 T-Shirt - Chad Poindexter

  • Stick
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2010
      Fellow Editors,

      Here is another OR for your viewing pleasures. Maybe it will qualify as
      one of the lightweight summer items and score me some brownie points
      too!

      As usual here is the HTML version:

      Patagonia Men's Capilene 1 T-Shirt <http://preview.tinyurl.com/32yo29n>

      And the text version will follow.

      Thanks for your time and edits, <http://preview.tinyurl.com/32yo29n>
      Chad

      PATAGONIA MEN'S CAPILENE 1 T-SHIRT
      BY CHAD POINDEXTER
      OR
      May 01, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chad Poindexter
      EMAIL: chad (DOT) poindexter (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I am a fairly new hiker and have hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains
      National Park, on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, and at a few state
      parks in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. I initially obtained
      slightly heavy gear, however, I am currently making efforts to go
      lighter. I love my tent and appreciate a warm drink in the morning, as
      well as a warm meal at night. So far my distance has averaged around 10
      mi (16 km) per day, depending on terrain. My wife or my son typically
      tag along with me on my hikes.

      PRODUCT SPECS / INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Courtesy of
      Patagonia">>
      Manufacturer: Patagonia
      Year of Purchase: 2009
      "http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/home" LINK TEXT = "www.patagonia.com">>
      MSRP: (US) $ 39.00
      Listed Weight: 4.6 oz (130 g)
      Measured Weight: 5.1 oz (145 g)
      Size: Large (Also Available in: XS, S, M, XL, and XXL)
      Color: Classic Navy (Also Available in White, Black,
      Wild Wood, Real Red, Geeko Green & Feather Gray)
      Materials: 3.7 oz (105g) 100% Recycled Polyester
      Extra Features: Fast-Drying, Highly-Breathable Silky-Soft Capilene 1,
      Gladiodor natural odor control, 15-UPF Sun Protection,
      Rib-Knit Collar, Long-Cut Hem, Set-In Sleeves & is
      100% Recyclable through the Common Threads Recycling Program.
      Patagonia Ironclad Guarantee: "Your satisfaction is guaranteed.
      We make returns and repairs easy and full refunds are available
      for returned items that are unwashed and unworn."
      This shirt is "Made in the USA."

      The sleeky-smooth, silky-soft Patagonia Men's Capilene 1 T-Shirt
      (hereafter referred to as the "shirt") is made to stay dry and cool
      while offering minimal sun protection in the hottest of weather.
      Patagonia uses their lightest weight fabric to produce this ideal
      technical piece, and even adds in a 15-UPF (Ultraviolet Protection
      Factor) sun protection with a Gladiodor natural odor protection to the
      shirt. The shirt has a slim fit which enables the shirt to comfortably
      be worn as a base layer with layers over the shirt, or as the sole outer
      layer. A long hem allows the shirt to be tucked in comfortably if so
      desired, or simply left out to let the air circulate through.

      THIS IS WHERE I HAVE USED IT

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "On the trail
      at BHPSP">>
      I have worn this shirt about twelve times while at Big Hill Pond State
      Park (BHPSP) on day hikes as well as some over night trips. I have worn
      the shirt while at the state park in a variety of conditions, ranging
      from wet and rainy to cool and windy and even sunny and hot. The
      temperatures have been as low as 45 F (7 C) and as high as 95 F (35 C),
      depending on the time of the year, as well as the day. Average elevation
      here at the park is 500 ft (152 m). The picture to the left is while on
      a day hike with my wife at BHPSP.

      Also, I have worn this shirt five straight days while on the Appalachian
      Trail (AT) last September while on a 40 mile (64 km) hike from Amicalola
      Falls State Park Visitor Center to Neels Gap. I even wore the shirt to
      sleep in for a few of those nights. The temperatures reached highs of 85
      F (29 C) during the days and as low as 61 F (16 C) through the night.
      The conditions were mostly sunny and nice, however two of the days were
      overcast with occasional small rain showers, which resulted in some
      fairly humid days. We began our hike at an elevation of 1,770 ft (539 m)
      behind the Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor Center and reached
      elevations as high as 4,450 ft (1,356 m) where we made camp atop blood
      Mountain for our last night out.

      Other than these times I have worn the shirt many other times while on
      day hikes at some of the other local state parks near my home, while
      walking the walking trail at the local city park and just in general
      around the house. I even carried the shirt with me this past January for
      a three day / two night hike in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park
      for use as a sleep shirt, or a back-up hiking shirt. I have worn the
      shirt in temperatures as high as 102 F (39 C) on an extremely warm day,
      and a few other times at temperatures just below that. Again, I have
      worn the shirt in everything from rainy to sunny conditions.

      WHAT I THINK ABOUT IT

      This was the first technical shirt that I bought when I began
      backpacking last year. I have worn this shirt at least thirty times and
      washed it probably as many as twenty times. I was drawn to the shirt
      because of it's silky feel, and the promise of quality of the Patagonia
      products. I must say that overall I have not been let down, and the
      promise has definitely shown itself true in this shirt, as well as other
      shirts that I have by Patagonia.

      This shirt is silky smooth and very comfortable against my skin. I have
      used the shirt to sleep in a number of times for this very reason. Even
      during the cold months I carry this shirt for a sleep shirt because of
      its light-weight and its level of comfort, as well as having a back-up
      shirt to hike in. The shirt even stretches a bit when needed, and then
      bounces right back to the way it was. Also, this shirt breathes very
      well and wicks great. The shirt immediately soaks up any perspiration
      and using the combined heat generated from my body and any wind at all
      (even if it's just from walking), the shirt begins to dry out, quickly.
      Also, I have used the shirt as a base layer and layered over it a few
      times and I must say that this shirt is quite comfy when other shirts
      are layered over it. Thanks to the shirts silky-smooth Capilene 1
      fabric, an over-shirt will glide right over this shirt, and the shirts
      have never bunched up together. However, I have come to prefer a long
      sleeve shirt as a base layer to actually layer over as opposed to a
      short sleeve shirt.

      The shirt has held up very well over the last year. The color is still
      the same despite the many washings or exposure to the sun, and there are
      no worn spots anywhere on the shirt. I have even treated the shirt with
      both the permethrin spray as well as the soak on three different
      occasions, and it has not resulted in any changes to the shirt (other
      than it kept the ticks and bugs at bay pretty well). I was expecting at
      least some wear on the shirt from where the hip belt and the shoulder
      strap rest on the shirt, but none has been made. The silky smooth
      texture is still the same as the day that I bought it as well. Overall,
      this shirt has definitely been a winner. This is one of the shirts that,
      despite the high price, I would replace if anything were to happen to
      the shirt. If I got another shirt I would probably get a different color
      for use in hotter temperatures though, such as white (which I probably
      will end up doing anyway).

      The only real downfall of the shirt is the smell. It definitely has the
      synthetic smell after only one good days use, let alone multiple days of
      use. The Capilene 1 T-shirt incorporates Patagonia's own Gladiodor
      natural odor control, which prides itself on not having to rely on
      metals or antimicrobials (which the bacterias can grow a resistance to)
      for the actual odor control. However, in all of my Capilene shirts, the
      odor is not controlled, and this shirt makes no exception. Also, on
      another less than positive note, the price is rather high. Regardless
      though, I will pay it for this shirt, since this shirt has more than
      proven it's worth, in my opinion.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Intersection
      of Appalachian Trail and Benton MacKaye Trail">>
      Patagonia also makes note on their website that they are exploring new
      ways to increase the UPF rating on the shirt without sacrificing the
      performance or comfort of the Capilene 1 fabric.

      THINGS THEY DID RIGHT

      1. The silky-smooth texture against my skin defines comfort.
      2. The overall durability of the shirt is super.
      3. The ability of the shirt to be used in many different situations.

      THINGS I WISH THEY WOULD CHANGE

      1. The smell.
      2. The price.

      WHO I AM

      Chad Poindexter
      "Stick"

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2010
        Hi Chad,

        I have a bit of time before Dave gets here to go hiking so will do a quick edit.

        Once the edits are made you can upload to here:

        http://tinyurl.com/26tj83d

        Ray

        ***Materials: 3.7 oz (105g)

        EDIT: need a space at 105 g

        ***The sleeky-smooth,

        EDIT: sleeky is not a word, do you mean "sleek?

        ***I have worn this shirt about twelve times while at Big Hill Pond State Park (BHPSP) on day hikes as well as some over night trips.

        EDIT: overnight

        *** I have worn this shirt five straight days while on the Appalachian Trail (AT) last September while on a 40 mile (64 km) hike from Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor Center to Neels Gap.

        EDIT: Neel's Gap

        *** where we made camp atop blood Mountain for our last night out.

        EDIT: Blood Mountain

        *** I was drawn to the shirt because of it's silky feel,

        EDIT: its

        ***Thanks to the shirts silky-smooth Capilene 1 fabric

        EDIT: shirt's

        Comment: I too can't stand how funky Capilene gets. I switched to wool or silver imebded shirts.
      • Stick
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2010
          Ray,

          I am continuously amazed at the many errors I make. Wow. I never was that good in English. Haha. Anyway, thanks for the quick edits. All errors have been corrected, and I have uploaded the corrected file in its new home (although I figured it would have been shirts rather than undies). The file has been removed from the tester folder as well.

          I am wanting to try out some of the wool, but I just can't pay that much for it tight now as there are too many other things I still need! :) Maybe I will catch a sale though sometime.

          Thanks again.

          Chad