OR - Patagonia Men's Capilene 1 T-Shirt - Chad Poindexter

  • Stick
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2010
      Fellow Editors,

      Here is another OR for your viewing pleasures. Maybe it will qualify as
      one of the lightweight summer items and score me some brownie points
      too!

      As usual here is the HTML version:
      Patagonia Men's Capilene 1 T-Shirt <http://tinyurl.com/26o2v2t>

      And the text version will follow.

      Thanks for your time and edits,
      Chad

      PATAGONIA MEN'S CAPILENE 1 T-SHIRT
      BY CHAD POINDEXTER
      OR
      May 01, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chad Poindexter
      EMAIL: chad (DOT) poindexter (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I am a fairly new hiker and have hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains
      National Park, on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, and at a few state
      parks in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. I initially obtained
      slightly heavy gear, however, I am currently making efforts to go
      lighter. I love my tent and appreciate a warm drink in the morning, as
      well as a warm meal at night. So far my distance has averaged around 10
      mi (16 km) per day, depending on terrain. My wife or my son typically
      tag along with me on my hikes.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Courtesy of
      Patagonia">>
      Manufacturer: Patagonia
      Year of Purchase: 2009
      "http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/home" LINK TEXT = "www.patagonia.com">>
      MSRP: (US) $ 39.00
      Listed Weight: 4.6 oz (130 g)
      Measured Weight: 5.1 oz (145 g)
      Size: Large (Also Available in: XS, S, M, XL, and XXL)
      Color: Classic Navy (Also Available in White, Black,
      Wild Wood, Real Red, Geeko Green & Feather Gray)
      Materials: 3.7 oz (105g) 100% Recycled Polyester
      Extra Features: Fast-Drying, Highly-Breathable Silky-Soft Capilene 1,
      Gladiodor natural odor control, 15-UPF Sun Protection,
      Rib-Knit Collar, Long-Cut Hem, Set-In Sleeves & is
      100% Recyclable through the Common Threads Recycling Program.
      Patagonia Ironclad Guarantee: "Your satisfaction is guaranteed.
      We make returns and repairs easy and full refunds are available
      for returned items that are unwashed and unworn."
      This shirt is "Made in the USA."

      The sleeky-smooth, silky-soft Patagonia Men's Capilene 1 T-Shirt
      (hereafter referred to as the "shirt") is made to stay dry and cool
      while offering minimal sun protection in the hottest of weather.
      Patagonia uses their lightest weight fabric to produce this ideal
      technical piece, and even adds in a 15-UPF (Ultraviolet Protection
      Factor) sun protection with a Gladiodor natural odor protection to the
      shirt. The shirt has a slim fit which enables the shirt to comfortably
      be worn as a base layer with layers over the shirt, or as the sole outer
      layer. A long hem allows the shirt to be tucked in comfortably if so
      desired, or simply left out to let the air circulate through.

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "On the trail
      at BHPSP">>
      I have worn this shirt about twelve times while at Big Hill Pond State
      Park (BHPSP) on day hikes as well as some over night trips. I have worn
      the shirt here at the state park in a variety of conditions, ranging
      from wet and rainy to cool and windy to sunny and hot. The temperatures
      have been as low as 45 F (7 C) to as high as 95 F (35 C), depending on
      the time of the year, as well as the day. Average elevation here is 500
      ft (152 m). The picture to the left is while on a day hike with my wife
      at BHPSP.

      I have also worn the shirt five straight days while on the Appalachian
      Trail (AT) last September on a 40 mile (64 km) hike from Amicalola Falls
      State Park Visitor Center to Neels Gap. I even wore the shirt to sleep
      in for a few of those nights. The temperatures reached highs of 85 F (29
      C) during the days and as low as 61 F (16 C) at night. The conditions
      were mostly sunny and nice, however two of the days were overcast with
      occasional small rain showers, making for some humid days. We began our
      hike at an elevation of 1,770 ft (539 m) behind the Amicalola Falls
      State Park Visitor Center and reached elevations as high as 4,450 ft
      (1,356 m) where we made camp atop blood Mountain for our last night out.

      Other than these times I have worn the shirt many other times while on
      other day hikes at some other local state parks, while walking the
      walking path at the local city park and just in general around the
      house. I have worn the shirt in temperatures as high as 102 F (39 C) on
      an extremely warm day, and a few other times at temperatures just below
      that. Again, I have worn the shirt in everything from rainy to sunny
      conditions.

      SUMMARY

      This was the first technical shirt that I bought when I began
      backpacking last year. I have worn it at least thirty times and washed
      it probably as many as twenty times. I was drawn to the shirt because of
      it's silky feel, and the promise of quality of Patagonia products. I
      must say that overall I have not been let down, and the promise has
      definitely shown itself true in this shirt, as well as other shirts that
      I have by them.

      This shirt is silky smooth and very comfortable against my skin.It
      stretches if needed then goes right back to the way it was. I have used
      it to sleep in a number of times for this very reason. Even during the
      cold months I would carry this shirt for a sleep shirt because of its
      light-weight and its level of comfort. The shirt also breathes well and
      wicks great. The shirt immediately soaks up any perspiration and any
      wind at all begins to dry it out, even if it's just from walking. I have
      used the shirt as a base layer and layered over it, but not many times.
      It is quite comfy with other shirts over this one, since the shirt is so
      silky smooth the over-shirt glides right over it and they never bunch
      up. However, I have come to prefer a long sleeve shirt as a base layer
      to layer over.

      The shirt has held up very well over the last year. The color is still
      the same despite the many washings or exposure to the sun, and there are
      no worn spots anywhere on the shirt. I was expecting at least some wear
      on the shirt from where the hip belt and the shoulder strap rest on the
      shirt, but none has been made. The silky smooth texture is still the
      same as the day that I bought it as well. Overall, this shirt has
      definitely been a winner. This is one of the shirts that, despite the
      high price, I would replace if anything were to happen to the shirt. I
      would probably get a different color for the hotter temperatures such as
      white though if I got another one (which I probably will end up doing
      anyway).

      The only downfall of the shirt is the smell. It definitely has the
      synthetic smell after only one good days use, let alone multiple days of
      use. The shirt incorporates Patagonia's own Gladiodor natural odor
      control, which prides itself on not having to rely on metals or
      antimicrobials (which the bacterias can grow a resistance to) for the
      actual odor control. However, in all of my Capilene shirts, the odor is
      not controlled, and this shirt makes no exception. Also, while the price
      is rather high, I will pay it for this shirt. The short has more than
      proven it's worth, in my opinion.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Intersection
      of Appalachian Trail and Benton MacKaye Trail">>
      Patagonia also makes note on their website that they are exploring new
      ways to increase the UPF rating on the shirt without sacrificing the
      performance or comfort of the Capilene 1 fabric.

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. The silky-smooth texture against my skin defines comfort.
      2. The overall durability of the shirt is super.
      3. The ability of the shirt to be used in many different situations.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      1. The smell.
      2. The price.

      SIGNATURE

      Chad Poindexter
      "Stick"

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2010

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        Edit Administration Manager