Re: Hello! (My intro)

  • deannep1
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2002
      Kelly, thanks for the warning, but I'm all too aware of what you
      mention. Argus is quite large at over 110 lbs, and has already had
      surgery on both front shoulders. His vet monitors his progress
      closely and has given us the go-ahead to hike as keeping the joints
      active helps maintain the necessary muscular development needed by
      any active dog. Argus' hikes are limited in length; his longest hike
      even before surgery was 5 miles. Our Summer backpack trip will be 1
      or 2 nights and only 5 miles down the trail. I'll likely carry his
      supplies on that trip. We've borrowed dog packs for hikes, just to
      get the feel on Argus' back. But, he's only carried clean-up bags and
      a few treats.

      Because of the early shoulder problems, I've had all his other joints
      x-rayed for signs of trouble. I'm happy to say that after his
      shoulders are 100%, there should be no other joint problems until his
      old age.

      d.

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., Asyndeton Canaan Dogs <asyndeton@e...>
      wrote:
      > You need to be careful if you have a 10 mo old large breed puppy.
      Long

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/