O review Patagona Silkweight bottoms

  • Asyndeton Canaan Dogs
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2 1:15 PM
      Patagonia Women's Capilene® SilkWeight Bottoms
      Patagonia markets Capilene Silkweight as being their fastest-wicking,
      fastest-drying and sleekest base layer, providing thermal regulation in
      sun and wind. Layer under endurance shells in cool or cold weather.
      · 3.5-oz. Capilene microdenier polyester.
      · 128 g. (4.5 oz.).
      · Gusseted Crotch.
      · Size large
      · Color black

      Made in (approx.) 1999
      When I picked these bottoms out, I originally didn't have
      hiking/backpacking in mind, as I am a cold weather weenie. I bought them
      for agility trialing, plus any other outdoor sports I desired to do. I
      was looking for a close fitting base layer that would stay put during
      any bursts of activity, and would wick sweat and dry quickly. I normally
      wouldn't buy an artificial fabric to wear, but I seem to be constrained
      by being generally poor, punctuated by moments of abject poverty, I was
      a little strapped for cash, and in a hurry as well, so I went with
      these.

      Two things I noted right off... The Large aren't long enough for my
      5'10" women's legs, so there is a gap of about 2" from my ankles, which
      I despise; and there is no elastic at the bottom to keep them in place,
      just self fabric hems. The XL are far too baggy to be a good layering
      candidate for me. Despite the ankle gap they are quite comfortable,
      especially with long socks, unless you are doing any sort of climbing,
      including stairs. At this point, the bottom of the legs started to creep
      up my calves a bit, giving about a 3.5" gap at my ankles.

      I have had the opportunity to wear them in a variety of conditions, for
      my area (Memphis, TN). I had worn them hiking through Shelby Forest
      (moderately hilly), as well as along a bit of Natchez Trace.
      Additionally I have worn them on some rather cold days (for the
      Mid-South) where my activity was limited. If you are active, and have
      some manner to keep the ankles down, or aren't doing much knee-lifting
      climbing, they will do fine in moderately cool-cold weather, say
      somewhere in the range of 40-30 degrees, if you tolerate cold weather
      better than I do, you could probably go a bit colder. Standing around,
      however, they were only slightly better than being naked, okay, quite a
      bit better than being naked, but not amazingly better than the jeans I
      was wearing over them. It was 45 degrees, no sun and fairly windy. I
      have been caught in the rain with them, and they do dry quickly. They
      are also quite comfortable to wear in moderate weather, as they do wick
      sweat, and stay comfortable while running. They are also not bad when
      the weather could cover a wide range of temps, as Memphis is prone to
      do. They have been comfortable up to about 60 degrees, being about as
      warm as I could stand with them on.
      They say that you can wear them alone, and comfort wise I think you
      could, but they are VERY form fitting, and I don't care for that kind of
      exposure.
      All in all, I do like having them, and they have held up to quite a bit
      of wear without pilling, they still look pretty good, and if they were
      just a bit longer, I'd say for moderately cool/cold weather, they are a
      good product.

      Contact info: http://www.patagonia.com/

      My Specs:
      Kelly Riggs, 31, 5'10", 150#, female, reside in Memphis, TN, Novice
      hiker, Novice backpacker, occasional runner, agility, herding, and other
      assorted dog sport participant. asyndeton@...