REPOST: Primus Windscreen - Chad Poindexter

  • Stick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2010
      Richard ,

      here is my updated report:

      windscreen <http://tinyurl.com/ybw2rl9>

      By: Chad Poindexter
      March 22, 2010

      NAME: Chad Poindexter
      EMAIL: chad (DOT) poindexter (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I am a fairly new hiker and have hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains
      National Park, on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, and at a few state
      parks in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. I initially obtained
      slightly heavy gear, however, I am currently making efforts to go
      lighter. I love my tent and appreciate a warm drink in the morning, as
      well as a warm meal at night. So far my distance has averaged around 10
      mi (16 km) per day, depending on terrain. My wife or my son typically
      tag along with me on my hikes.

      Manufacturer: Primus AB
      "http://www.primus.eu/Templates/Pages/Default.aspx?SectionId=6720" LINK
      TEXT = "www.primus.com">>
      MSRP: (US) $15.00
      Listed Weight: 2.1 oz (60 g)
      Measured Weight: 2.3 oz (65 g)
      Listed Dimensions: 3.9 in x 3.0 in (100 x 76 mm)
      Measured Height: 3 in (76 mm)
      Width varies. Attached to a gas canister the diameter is 4.6 in (117

      The Primus Windscreen (hereafter referred to as the "windscreen") is
      actually a part of the Primus lineup. While the windscreen is able to
      adapt to almost any cartridge-mounted gas stove on the market, it was
      built exclusively for the Primus ExpressStove. When Primus designed this
      windscreen, they did so with a purpose; A purpose to increase the
      stove's efficiency by using this windscreen in conjunction with the
      stove. What does this mean? It simply means a faster boil time which
      equals less fuel consumption which in the long run enables the stove to
      be more environmentally friendly.
      As seen in the picture above, the windscreen is rather simple in design.
      The windscreen is built by using three smooth, light-weight pieces of
      aluminum, and six rivets. The left and right sides (two thicker,
      gray-colored pieces) of the windscreen are simply held together in the
      middle by a single thinner silver piece of aluminum using 3 rivets per
      side (6 total rivets). This silver piece of aluminum in the middle that
      holds the two sides together is what allows the windscreen to flex, or
      to open and close. This flexing is what allows the windscreen to fit
      around the lip of a gas canister. At the bottom of the windscreen is a
      small hole (almost a complete circle) which fits around and attaches to
      the lip of most fuel canisters. Also, located along the bottom of the
      windscreen there are twenty individual slits (ten to each side) which
      are cut out to allow air to flow up to the stove. There is a red and
      white colored Primus logo with their name imprinted on one of the sides
      of the windscreen.

      Since this windscreen was originally designed to fit the Primus
      ExpressStove (which has three arm supports), there are two notches cut
      into the top of this windscreen. These notches will line up with the arm
      supports on the stove. However, the 4.6 in (117 mm) diameter of the
      windscreen will still allow many other stoves, whether with three or
      four arm supports, to work fine in conjunction with the windscreen.
      Another great thing about this windscreen is that it is very easy and
      convenient to store. Just flip it upside down, flex the windscreen open,
      and secure it around the lip of the fuel canister. Done, and simple.
      (All of this can be seen in the pictures above.)

      This windscreen has been with me the better part of the last year and I
      have used it in conjunction with my stove a total of 30 + times on
      backpacking trips alone. Quite a few other times while car camping and
      even around my home with the kids (they enjoy cooking on my backpacking
      kitchen, it's fun)! I have carried it with me on day hikes, overnight
      trips, three-day trips and even on a five-day trip. I typically cook for
      only two people, but have at times cooked for up to four people.

      I have used this windscreen while cooking dinner for my wife and me, on
      a warm summer evening (around 90 F or 32 C) at an elevation of 4,450 ft
      (1356 m) atop a windy mountaintop, as well as breakfast for my son and
      me, in an empty parking lot, at an elevation of 700 ft (213 m) on a cool
      and breezy morning (around 30 F or -1 C) at the trail head just before
      we hiked out.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7" IMAGE CAPTION = "Breakfast on a
      cool & breezy morning at Sipsey Wilderness">>
      Most recently I have used the windscreen with my stove while at a
      shelter on the summit of Mt. LeConte, some 6,593 ft (2010 m) up. The
      temperatures dipped to around 20 F (-7 C) and we had snow, ice, and even
      some slight winds (around 10-15 mph or 16 - 24 kph).

      I have used the windscreen while backpacking at Big Hill Pond State Park
      in Tennessee, Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, on the Appalachian Trail in
      North Georgia, and in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in
      Tennessee. I have also used the windscreen while at some local
      campgrounds and even while camping on the land behind my parents' house.
      I have used the windscreen in temperatures as low as 10 F (-12 C) to as
      high as around 90 F (32 C). The strongest winds I have used the
      windscreen in were occasional gusts of around 20 mph (32 kph).

      I have used this windscreen with a handful of different gas canisters,
      all of them with complete success. Here are the canisters I have used
      the windscreen with:

      8 oz (113 g) Mountain Safety Research (MSR) fuel canister
      4 oz (113 g) and 8 oz (227 g) Jetboil Jetpower fuel canisters
      4 oz (113 g) Snow Peak Giga Power fuel canister

      I have used this windscreen with only one stove, the Optimus Crux. The
      Optimus Crux stove is similar to the Primus ExpressStove in that is has
      three arm supports as well. Because of this, the Optimus Crux's arm
      supports fall right in line with the two notched areas located at the
      top of the windscreen. The arm supports on the Optimus Crux stove do not
      extend out past the diameter of the windscreen, but rather come just to
      the inside edge of the windscreen. However, the Optimus Crux stove does
      stand 0.25 in (0.64 cm) taller than the windscreen allowing the cook pot
      to sit atop the stove rather than directly on top of the windscreen. All
      of this is to say that the Optimus Crux stove looks right at home inside
      this windscreen. ***(See note at end of report on gap width between the
      windscreen and the pot.)

      I have used 2 different cook pots in conjunction with this setup
      (Optimus Crux stove and the Primus Windscreen). The GSI Dualist 1.8L (61
      fl oz) cook pot and a Backcountry.com 700 ml (23.7 fl oz) titanium pot
      (as seen below).

      MY NOTES

      Once I recieved the windscreen in the mail I unpackaged it and
      immediately pulled out my stove and fuel canister so that I could
      assemble all the pieces together to see how they fit, and of course to
      try it out. And just as I had suspected, it was simple, there's no other
      way to put it. I screwed my stove to the fuel canister, then I flexed
      the windscreen open, placed the opening at the bottom of the windscreen
      around the lip of the fuel canister, and let the windscreen close back
      around the lip of the fuel canister. Done.
      First, my beef with the windscreen:

      The windscreen does a fine job at blocking very light to light winds,
      but even in these winds the entire set up must be turned so that the
      closed side of the windscreen is into the wind. Due to the design of the
      windscreen, one side of the stove is always open to the elements,
      leaving only one side actually being shielded from the elements. (This
      leaves me to wonder how much wind is this windscreen actually blocking?)
      Due to this design, if the wind changes once I start cooking I have to
      try and balance my whole set up (while it's cooking) and turn it or I
      have to constantly sit in front of it and try to block the wind with my
      body, or whatever I can find. Also, even if the wind is blowing against
      the closed side of the windscreen there is still a large enough space
      between the top of the windscreen and the bottom of the pot in which the
      wind can easily blow through and steal away the heat from the stove.
      However, I cannot say that the wind has ever blown the flame on the
      stove out though, with or without the windscreen. (***Again, see note
      below on gap width between bottom of pot and top of windscreen.)

      However, just by sheer design, I understand that some wind is being
      directed away from my heat source (stove) as a result of this
      windscreen. Also, by design, I can see how some of the heat will be
      reflected back up towards the bottom of the pot due to the cup-like
      shape at the bottom of the windscreen. With this in mind, I believe that
      my stove, in conjunction with the windscreen, is working at least
      somewhat more efficiently than if the stove were operating on it's own.
      Can I tell the difference whether by boil times or by fuel savings? No.
      I have always used this windscreen while I am cooking, even if it feels
      like there is no wind.

      So, at a weight of 2.3 oz (65 g) and with the ability to store the
      windscreen right around my fuel canister (which happens to go inside my
      cook pot along with my bowls, cups, lighter, and stove) I have no reason
      not to carry it, and for that matter use it. Since I am not 100 % sold
      on the fact that the windscreen works as well as I would like it to, I
      take other measures when preparing my food, such as finding a place that
      isn't as windy to cook or even trying to wait a little while for the
      wind to die down some before cooking, to help maximize the overall
      efficiency of my stove. I do plan on playing around with some other
      ideas to help improve the performance of this windscreen, but for now I
      will continue to carry it the way it is.

      On a good note, I have not had to provide any type of maintenance to the
      windscreen. It is a very easy piece of gear to own. It does not get in
      the way and it makes for a good conversation piece when brought out. On
      a little more serious note, since the windscreen attaches at the lip of
      the canister, it separates the canister from the stove. Another way to
      put this is, the windscreen separates the flame from the potentially
      explosive canister. While the canister is still able to absorb some of
      the heat coming from the stove, the windscreen actually creates a
      partial barrier which reflects some of the heat back up towards the pot,
      limiting the amount of heat that actually reaches the canister.

      So, while there are definitely slightly lighter, and much cheaper
      (homemade) windscreens out there to be had, I have this one, the Primus
      Windscreen. Now that I have it I will use it, but if I ever come across
      something else more adequate I will probably go with that. It is hard
      for me to say if I would recommend this windscreen or not, as its pros
      and cons are pretty close. I will just have to let my report speak for

      A Product Safety Information (PSI) sheet regarding this windscreen has
      been recently released from Primus. Since this windscreen has been on
      sale, according to the website, and even printed directly on the box the
      windscreen came packaged in, was this: "This windscreen fits Primus
      ExpressStove, Primus MicronStove Ti and most other cartridge
      stoves." This is now considered wrong according to Primus. The PSI
      now states that the minimum distance between the top of the windscreen
      and the bottom of the cook pot MUST be at least 0.5 in (11 mm) and MUST
      have a flame that is directed upwards to the pot and not out towards the
      windscreen. For this reason, the Primus MicronStove Ti was removed from
      the list of stoves that this windscreen is compatible with. Also, at the
      moment the windscreen has been removed from the shelves and is being
      repackaged with the up-to-date information and is also now being
      packaged with a small instruction booklet. The website has also been
      updated to reflect this new information.

      1. It packs away small and easy.
      2. It's simple to use.
      3. It fits with my fuel canisters and stove.
      4. It keeps the canister from overheating.
      5. While not the lightest, it is pretty light.

      1. One complete side of the windscreen is left open to wind.
      2. Wind can easily seep between the top of the windscreen and the bottom
      of the pot.
      3. It's costly.

      Chad Poindexter

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.