OWNER REVIEW Addendum - Hilleberg Unna Richard Lyon

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2010
      I am updating my Owner Review on the Unna to address a new accessory and a price increase. Text of the addendum is below; full report in html is in the Tests/OR file at http://tinyurl.com/yabbr2t

      Richard

      Addendum – March 21, 2010

      I am supplementing my Review to report on two noteworthy developments on the Unna since posting my Owner Review.

      The Mesh Inner. On the performance front, Hilleberg now offers a useful accessory for the Unna: a Mesh Inner Tent. This is made of mesh on all sides, with a C-shaped door (just like the standard inner tent), and a black Kerlon bathtub-style floor that come 5.5 inches (13 cm) up each side. A tag inside the tent proclaims that the fabric is not fire-resistant and warns the user against any exposure to a stove or other flame.

      Like the standard inner tent, the Mesh Inner attaches to the outer tent by means of small plastic toggles on the inner that fit through loops on the outer located along the underside of the pole sleeves. There are seventeen toggles in all, three along each of the four seams, one at each corner for a pole holder (these are unnecessary when using the Unna outer tent), and one with a smaller loop at the peak of the tent. Actually it's eighteen – the final one is larger and sits on the left front seam on the outside of the Inner. It mates with a loop on the inside and holds a fully opened door in place, as shown in the photograph below.

      Again like the standard inner tent, the Mesh Inner may also be pitched on its own as a freestanding mesh shelter, using the Unna's poles. These are inserted into the pole holders at the corners after threading the poles through the twelve fabric loops that hold the toggles. This configuration gives a freestanding, bug-free cabin that may be used on its own in dry weather or with a tarp as a lightweight overnight shelter. Here's a picture of the Mesh Inner on its own.

      Mesh Inner Specifications

      Weight, listed: 700 g/25 oz
      Weight, measured: Mesh Inner only, 660 g/23.3 oz; stuff sack 18 g/0.6 oz
      Year Purchased: 2009
      MSRP: $120 US
      Includes: Mesh Inner, four detachable pole holders, and a stuff sack. A customer who doesn't own an Unna and who wishes to use the tarp option described above must purchase poles (MSRP $42 US).
      Mesh Inners (which are also available for four other Hilleberg tent models) are listed only in Hilleberg's online catalog for North America.

      Field Conditions

      I have used the Mesh Inner to replace the Kerlon inner tent that is included with an Unna on two camping trips last summer, a total of nine nights. On a weeklong service trip along the Doctor Lake Trail in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area, Montana, in August, we had wonderful weather – highs about 80 F (26 C) during the day down to 35-40 F (2-5 C) at night, and no rain. We camped at about 6500 feet (1800 m) in a forested area adjacent to Gordon Creek.

      In mid-September 2009 I participated in a three-day packrafting course along the Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley, Montana. This course was done in a backpacking format; we camped along the river for two nights and rafted during the days. On Friday and Saturday daytime highs were in the mid-80s (~30 C) and warm nights, not below 50 F (10 C). We had clear skies until a cold front blew through very early Sunday morning, with accompanying thundershowers that continued off and on until mid-morning when it cleared again. We camped on sand the first night and at the edge of the woods, on forest duff, the second.

      The night following the course I camped near McLeod, Montana, in the Absaroka Range. The cold front had settled in, as my final night was at 30 F (-1 C), and it was very blustery all day and night.

      Observations

      Except for use on its own with a tarp the Mesh Inner isn't offered as a weight saver. An email inquiry to Hilleberg's US office brought a reply that the Mesh Inner weighs the same as the standard Kerlon inner tent. The Mesh Inner does save me 5.5 ounces (156 g) over my customized Kerlon–tulle inner tent. That's probably due to the extra zipper and storm flaps that the prior owner added.

      In my Review my only mediocre marks for the Unna came on ventilation. Having a full mesh inner tent markedly improved things in this department; I didn't consider the combined tent too warm even in the late afternoon sun. Visibility isn't aided but it would have been if I didn't have the custom tulle panel in my Kerlon inner. Hilleberg has definitely upgraded its mesh, as the Mesh Inner gives good views when the door is open. Correcting another demerit, there was no condensation on any night, even after the thunderstorms.

      On both trips I attached the Mesh Inner to the outer tent before reaching the trailhead and thanks to the fine weather didn't have to unclip the two until the final morning of the packrafting course. I did so at a time when it wasn't raining and stowed the two pieces separately, the dry Mesh Inner in the tent's stuff sack and the damp outer in another stuff sack that I had brought along. Both of these went into a dry bag stowed on the bow of my raft.

      All told I consider the Mesh Inner a worthwhile investment for this particular Unna user, even considering that I don't need it for visibility. The improved ventilation that it furnishes makes the Unna truly a four-season tent; with the Mesh Inner its hot weather performance matches that in other seasons.

      Price

      The second update is unfortunate news for any reader I've convinced to try the Unna. It's not performance-related. The MSRP for the Unna has risen to $515 US in North America and €549 in Europe. Especially at this price I'd like to see Hilleberg offer a buyer the option to buy an Unna with either the standard or the Mesh Inner, rather than offering the Mesh Inner only as an accessory.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2010
        I've added it.

        Jamie D
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2010
          Hi Richard,

          Neat addition to the tent I don't have much for you.

          Ray

          ***I have used the Mesh Inner to replace the Kerlon inner tent that is included with an Unna

          Edit: I have used the Mesh Inner to replace the Kerlon inner tent that is included with "the" Unna (reads better to me, up to you though)
        • richardglyon
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9, 2010
            Ray, duly revised, and Tests/OR folder copy deleted. One more product that will keep me from becoming ultralight.

            Cheers, Richard