OR - Princeton Tec FUEL Headlamp - Chad Poindexter

  • Stick
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2010
      Fellow Editors,

      While I lay here, bedridden yet again, I can at least take pleasure in
      the cooler air, overcast clouds and gentle rain that does not make the
      outside world quite as inviting as yesterday. So again, I have taken
      advantage of the day and pounded out another OR. I only hope that it is
      not laden with mistakes and that your pens will stay put.

      Thank you for your time and edits.

      Chad

      HTML Version:
      Princeton Tec FUEL <http://tinyurl.com/yhoe7dv>

      Text follows....

      PRINCETON TEC FUEL HEADLAMP
      By: Chad Poindexter
      OR
      March 21, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chad Poindexter
      EMAIL: chad (DOT) poindexter (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I am a fairly new hiker and have hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains
      National Park, on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, and at a few state
      parks in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. Initially I have obtained
      slightly heavy gear, but I am making efforts to go lighter. I love my
      tent and appreciate a warm drink in the morning, as well as a warm meal
      at night. So far my distance has averaged around 10 mi (16 km) per day,
      depending on terrain. I usually hike with my wife or my son however I am
      currently planning my first solo hike!

      PRODUCT SPECS / INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Courtesy of
      Princeton Tec">>
      Manufacturer: Princeton Tec
      Year of Purchase: 2009
      "http://www.princetontec.com/" LINK TEXT = "www.princetontec.com">>
      MSRP: (US) $ 26.99
      Listed Weight with 3 AAA Batteries: 2.75 oz (78 g)
      Measured Weight with 3 AAA (Lithium) Batteries: 2.3 oz (65 g)
      Listed Power: 43 Lumen's
      Lamp: 4 Ultra Bright LED's
      Listed Burn Time: Up to 146 Hours
      Waterproof Rating: Level 1 (Equivalent to IPX4 in the International
      Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standards)
      Color Owned: Charcoal / Green (Other Colors Available: Black / Charcoal,
      Pink / Charcoal, and Olive Drab)

      Princeton Tec has designed the FUEL Headlamp (hereafter referred to as
      the "headlamp") to be an easy-to-use, light-weight headlamp but which
      also packages a wide range of applications to its user. Simply put, this
      headlamp was built simply to shine brightly, in all areas.

      TURN ON THE BRIGHT LIGHT

      The headlamp is comprised of two separate pieces. The first of which is
      the black and charcoal-colored elastic headband which features the
      Princeton Tec name and logo sewn in with a white-colored stitching. The
      headband utilizes a black-colored sliding plastic locking mechanism to
      allow the headbands circumference to be adjusted between 14 - 23.5 in
      (35.6 - 60 cm). (This locking mechanism is also the key which unlocks
      the battery compartment door ~ very important, more later.)

      The second piece is the actual headlamp body. The body consists of a few
      pieces which are all attached. First is the green-colored arm bracket
      which connects the headlamp body to the elastic headband simply by
      sliding the elastic headband through the two slits cut into both sides
      of the arm bracket. The green arm bracket also extends out towards the
      front of the headlamp and wraps around one end of the battery / LED
      housing body. This provides the headlamp with the ability to swivel.
      There are 11 notches grooved into the swivel to provide stability to the
      headlamp. The headlamp is also able to be swiveled (a total of)
      approximately 150 degrees up or down. The word "FUEL" is printed
      vertically along the front of the headlamp on the green arm bracket in a
      light gray color.

      Next is the battery / LED housing. The actual housing body is a light
      gray in color. The large rubber button located at the top of the housing
      body is dark gray in color, and features three raised ridges. These
      raised edges serve as a point of reference as well as providing an extra
      grip which assists in easy operation of the headlamp.

      Both the battery compartment door as well as the opposite end of the
      battery compartment is dark gray in color as well. The recommended, and
      easiest method of opening of the battery door, is to use the tip of the
      sliding plastic locking mechanism (on the headband) to pry the door of
      the battery compartment open (however many things will work, including
      fingernails if I needed to.) Once inside the battery compartment the
      three AAA batteries can be inserted (or changed). To make it simple
      still, there is a "+" and two "-" symbols marking each slot as to which
      direction to insert the batteries.

      Finally looking at the front of the headlamp I see the four high
      quality, ultra bright LED's staring back at me. As a result of the
      LED's being grouped so close to one another, a smooth, white light
      which is more powerful and concentrated is created. This also enables a
      wide beam to form which enhances peripheral vision and results in a
      wider field of vision.

      The headlamp has 5 settings on it. They are: High, medium, low, blink
      and off. The levels are cycled through (in the above order) by
      simultaneously pressing the button. The website lists burn hours and
      provides a picture diagram with a range of distance for each setting.
      Below is the listed burn hours along with an approximate range of
      distance that I have figured using the supplied diagram.

      High: Burns 50 hours and at a range of approximately 42 m (138 ft)
      Medium: Burns 90 hours and at a range of approximately 31 m (102 ft)
      Low: Burns 146 hours and at a range of approximately 23 m (75 ft)
      Blink: Burns 96 hours and at a range of approximately 31 m (102 ft)

      FIELD USE

      I have carried this headlamp with me on a total of 6 backpacking trips
      totaling 17 days and nights. I have used the headlamp on everyone of
      those nights. I have also carried this headlamp on 4 car camping trips
      with the family, which again was used each night. Other than this I have
      used the headlamp multiple times around the house including a 1.5 hour
      journey under the hood of a truck.

      I have carried the headlamp with me on two separate overnight trips to
      Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee. The conditions have ranged form
      rainy and cool to sunny and warm with average temperatures between 50 -
      80 F (10 - 20 C). General elevation listed here is 500 ft (152 m).
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "At Big Hill
      Pond State Park">>
      The headlamp accompanied me on a 5 day backpacking trip last September
      along the Appalachian Trail that runs through the mountains of North
      Georgia. The highest elevation that I used the headlamp here was while
      atop Blood Mountain at an elevation of 4,450 ft (1,356 m). The
      temperatures here maxed out at around 90 F (32 C).

      Near the end of November of last year I ventured out on a 3 day
      backpacking trip with my son to the riverbanks at Sipsey Wilderness in
      Alabama. Then, shortly after I headed back out with my wife to bring in
      the New Years. Both times the temperatures were cold. While on our trip
      over New Years the temperature dropped down to right at 10 F (-12 C),
      not counting the wind chill or the fact that the wind was blowing off
      the water onto us! General elevation listed here is 700 ft (178 m). I
      carried the headlamp each of these times, however I did not have to use
      it so much over the New Years trip due to the abundance of moon light.
      It was magical....

      Last, but definitely not least, I carried the headlamp with me again,
      this time to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee this
      past January for a three day backpacking trip. We reached an elevation
      of 6,593 ft (2010 m) when we summitted Mt. LeConte, in the snow, lots
      of snow (and ice)! The temperatures dipped down to near 20 F (-7 C) our
      first night out while atop Mt. LeConte.

      I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT

      When I first purchased this headlamp I thought to myself "It's just a
      tiny flashlight on a headband. Woohoo!"

      I took the light home from the store and opened the package. The only
      assembly I saw was to attach the headband to the headlamp and insert the
      batteries. Easy enough. After assembly (shew!) I played with it a little
      bit, walking into a dark room just checking things out. Neat. It worked.
      The head swiveled up and down nicely allowing me to easily adjust the
      light towards my feet, towards the front of me in the direction I was
      walking and of course above me. The swivel locked firmly in place at
      which ever level I chose to leave the light pointed in and did not budge
      unless I intended it to. The light went through the different settings
      just as promised with a simple push of the button. The headlamp checked
      out A-OK. So, I put the headlamp with my pile of gear and didn't really
      mess with it much again until my next trip.

      The first time I carried it with me on me and my sons trip to Big Hill
      Pond State Park I almost forgot I even had it. Once darkness started to
      fall, then a little light bulb went off and I remembered it. I am glad I
      did. It shed all the light I needed on whatever task I was trying to
      accomplish. I was even able to walk down the trail at a moderate pace
      (for me) with no difficulties, however I had to point the headlamp
      slightly down towards the trail rather than straight out in front of me.
      While I have not measured the range of distance that the headlamp sheds
      its light on, for me it is a more than sufficient range. Even in the low
      and medium settings the headlamp still shines plenty bright.

      Since then the light has continued to perform in exactly this same
      manner. I have decided to replace the three alkaline batteries with
      three lithium batteries for an even lighter weight (which is seen in the
      product specs at the beginning of the report) as well as longer battery
      life (however, I am not 100% sure that this is recommended by the
      manufacturer). Also, I have sometimes taken to hanging the headlamp
      around my neck at the beginning of a hike so that I will not forget
      about my headlamp as it gets dark. The elastic headband is soft and does
      not irritate my skin nor does it bother me in any other way while
      wearing the headlamp in this manner, even while wearing my backpack.

      The only change I would recommend making to this light is for a red
      light to be added to the lights. Even if it would mean giving up one of
      the white LED's I would be happy with that. I have thought about trying
      to find a red sheet or something another to place over the headlamp at
      times, but it seems to be too much trouble for me to actually carry
      through with.

      So, at my conclusion, "It's just a tiny flashlight on a headband.
      Woohoo!"

      THINGS I LIKE

      1. Light-weight.
      2. Super bright.
      3. Multi-settings.
      4. Adjustable headband.
      5. Is comfortable to wear.
      6. Easy on the wallet.

      THINGS THAT NEED IMPROVEMENT

      1. I wish it had a red light built in.

      SIGNATURE

      Chad Poindexter
      "Stick"

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2010
        Hi Chad,

        Thank you for your Owner Review, you know the drill now.

        EDIT: must be changed

        When you have made the changes you can post it here:

        http://tinyurl.com/ydjo2ko

        Make sure to highlight the Owner Review button.

        Ray

        ***but which also packages a wide range of applications to its user.

        Edit: how about, "but which also boasts a wide range of applications for its user"

        *** The levels are cycled through (in the above order) by simultaneously pressing the button.

        EDIT: delete "simultaneously" as you would need at least one more button to push at the same time to use that word. Try "repeatedly"

        ***High: Burns 50 hours and at a range of approximately 42 m (138 ft)
        Medium: Burns 90 hours and at a range of approximately 31 m (102 ft)
        Low: Burns 146 hours and at a range of approximately 23 m (75 ft)
        Blink: Burns 96 hours and at a range of approximately 31 m (102 ft)

        Edit: I don't really care, but I try to stick with either metric first or Imperial first. All you other numbers and temps are `merican, so you may want to start with your ft followed by m

        ***I have carried this headlamp with me on a total of 6 backpacking trips totaling 17 days and nights.

        Comment: not to be a pain, but do the days and nights really total the same? Most trips have one more day than they do night. An over-nighter is one night and two days of hiking. 10 over-nighters is 10 nights and 20 days. I usually list the things that I use at night (lamps, sleeping bags, tents by the nights. See what I am getting at?

        ***I have used the headlamp on everyone of those nights.

        EDIT: every one

        *** The conditions have ranged form rainy and cool

        EDIT: from

        *** Then, shortly after I headed back out with my wife to bring in the New Years.

        EDIT: (move the comma and add an apostrophe) Then shortly after, I headed back out with my wife to bring in the New Year's.

        *** While on our trip over New Years

        EDIT: New Year's

        ***The first time I carried it with me on me and my sons trip to Big Hill Pond State Park I almost forgot I even had it.

        Edit: I had to read that about 5 times to get what you were trying to say. How about,
        The first time I carried it with me was on the trip with my son trip to Big Hill Pond State Park. I almost forgot I even had it with me.
      • Stick
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2010
          Ray,

          Thank you for the edits. The corrections have been made, the old review gone, and the new report uploaded in it's new home.

          Til next time.....
          Chad