OWNER REVIEW - Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym

  • Lance Turner
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 20, 2010
      ----------

      HENNESSY HAMMOCK EXPEDITION ASYM
      BY LANCE TURNER
      OR
      March 20, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Lance Turner
      EMAIL: LanceT80@...
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Dallas, TX
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 184 lb (83.50 kg)

      I started backpacking about 5 years ago and my experience consists of 1-2 week long trip per year. I have completed multi-day hikes in Colorado, Texas, Tennessee, California, and Chile in which the terrain ranges from desert to mountains and the temperatures range from 15 F to 105 F. I hike mostly in the summer months and stick to moderate to difficult non technical hiking. In addition, I use my gear for a number of camping trips in normal conditions.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Hennessy
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: http://hennessyhammock.com/
      MSRP: $139.95
      Listed Weight: 2 lbs. 12 oz.
      Measured Weight: 2lbs. 14.5 oz (1320 g) (with 2 lightweight tent stakes and the snake skin system)
      Other details: The Expedition Asym is an army green hammock sleeping system that includes an integrated bug net and a rain fly. The bug net is permanently attached to the hammock.. Entrance to the hammock is a slit in the bottom of the hammock that seals together using velcro after the occupant is in the hammock.
      The hammock is attached to cords, which must be tied on to the straps that are provided, which wrap around the trees being used.
      The rain fly drapes over the hammock and clips on to each of the cords to provide tension to the rain fly. Both the rain fly and the hammock have guide lines that are attched to tent stakes, rocks, etc to provide tension to the rain fly and provide stability to the hammock.

      Weight limit: 250 lbs.
      Suspension system: 10' long 1600 lb. test polyester rope - 42" long x 2" wide nylon webbing straps called "tree huggers"
      Hammock dimensions: 100" x 48"'
      Hammock fabric: 210 D oxford nylon
      Canopy dimensions:

      a parallelogram with - short side - 58" -
      long side - 87" -
      short diagonal - 85"
      long diagonal -130"
      Canopy fabric: 1.9 ounce polyurethane coated nylon or polyester ripstop
      Mesh: 1 ounce 20 D polyester No-See-Um netting
      Stuff sack: Logo and set up instructions printed on ripstop nylon bag with drawstring
      Set-up-time: 2.5 minutes
      Packed size: 7" x 10"

      FIELD USE

      I have used this hammock for multiple camping trips in the last six months for a total of about 7 nights at about 500 above sea level with overnight lows ranging from 22 F to 45 F. I have used this in open and wooded areas. The hammock was always used with a 2.5 inflatable air pad and a very used 40F synthetic sleeping bag.

      Setup is pretty easy, but requires the user to tie a know to attach the hammock to the tree straps. I have to wonder what the weight penalty would be if Hennessy used the seemingly more convenient strap that is used by Eagles Nest Outfitters, which uses looped tree straps and carabiners to attach it to the tree.

      Getting into the hammock is pretty easy. Practically speaking, it requires the user to leave their shoes / boots on the ground below the hammock, which might protect them from rain, depending on how high the hammock and rain fly are pitched.

      Once inside, it is difficult to situation your self in your sleeping bag, on the sleeping mat, and positioned properly in the hammock. I had to slither into position because there is no anchor to grab onto. Once situated, its great, but getting up in the middle of the night to use the restroom is not a delight because it means I had to re situate.

      The hammock is rated to 250 lbs for one person. Just to see how it would hold up, my grilfriend and I both got in the hammock. Held up nicely and there was enough room to fit, but I don't think that sleeping two in this thing would be a good idea.

      The integrated bug net is a great idea for weight savings and ease of setup. It prevents me from using the hammock as a leisure hammock on a nice sunny day, but you can't have the best of both worlds.

      Hammock has a string that stretches atop the hammock and keeps the bug net high above you, but also has a storage pouch for your headlamp, keys, etc. This is a great attention to detail, but the pouch ripped on my second night out as it is made out of the same mesh netting of the bug net. It makes me cautious when handling the bug net as I know how fragile the net is.

      The coldest evening I used it had an overnight low of 20F with moderate winds. The hammock performed better than expected as it was not designed for these conditions without using additional accessories provided by Hennessy. The hammock appears to be quite noisy in the wind, but it did not move around as a result of the wind. It was surprising when I woke up and noticed a layer of ice on the bug net where my breath had been escaping all night, causing frozen condensation build up. There was also ice forming on the rain fly when in the morning, so while there was very little precipitation, there was plenty of moisture in the air.

      I used it in similar conditions, as well. On warmer nights above freezing, I had no issues with becoming cold and slept well. The wind was quite loud as the rain fly is difficult to setup and keep tensioned to prevent whipping in the wind. Once asleep, I never noticed it again.

      Taking it down is easier than setting it up. The snake skins are well worth it. They make taking down and packing a breeze.

      SUMMARY

      Overall this is a great alternative to hiking with a tent. It is a shelter hammock, rather than a leisure hammock. It is easy to set up and great if you don't have room, moticvation, or proper terrain to setup a tent.

      With a sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and proper clothing, this thing really performed well in cold weather and wind. Not near as well as a tent, but it is not expected to given the setup.

      The integrated bug net is great for ease of setup and weight savings, but makes this hammock a backpacking hammock which cannot easily be used for

      THINGS I LIKE

      Integrated bug net is much easier than seeting up a separate bug net
      Lightweight
      Easy setup
      Snake skins make the take down easy

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Attaching hammock to tree system could be improved
      Can't remove the bug net to use the hammock leisurely on a nice sunny day
      Storage pouch made out of netting ripped on 2nd outing

      SIGNATURE

      Lance Turner

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
          Hello Lance,

          Welcome to BackpackGearTest. Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Include your name also please.

          Please notice the form that the review should take in the "Examples", you may also wish to browse the reviews of other experienced members for examples of the proper form.

          A helpful tool is the Mentoring Program that teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@...

          Ray

          ***LOCATION: Dallas, TX

          EDIT: please spell out the state for the benefit of our international readers

          ***I started backpacking about 5 years ago and my experience consists of 1-2 week long trip per year.

          Edit: I think you mean one or two week-long trips per year

          ***I have completed multi-day hikes in Colorado, Texas, Tennessee, California, and Chile in which the terrain ranges from desert to mountains and the temperatures range from 15 F to 105 F.

          EDIT: you need Metric conversions for all measurements, weights, distances, temps, etc. Here is a great conversion tool:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

          ***Manufacturer: Hennessy

          EDIT: it is Hennessy Hammock

          ***Measured Weight: 2lbs. 14.5 oz (1320 g)

          EDIT: need a space after the 2

          *** Entrance to the hammock is a slit in the bottom of the hammock that seals together using velcro

          EDIT: Velcro (with a cap as it is a trademarked name)

          *** Both the rain fly and the hammock have guide lines that are attched to tent stakes,

          EDIT: attached

          ***Weight limit: 250 lbs.
          Suspension system: 10' long 1600 lb. test polyester rope - 42" long x 2" wide
          nylon webbing straps called "tree huggers"
          Hammock dimensions: 100" x 48"'
          Hammock fabric: 210 D oxford nylon
          Canopy dimensions:

          a parallelogram with - short side - 58" -
          long side - 87" -
          short diagonal - 85"
          long diagonal -130"
          Canopy fabric: 1.9 ounce polyurethane coated nylon or polyester ripstop
          Mesh: 1 ounce 20 D polyester No-See-Um netting

          Packed size: 7" x 10"

          EDIT: you need Metric conversions for all measurements and weights. Please go through the entire review to look for the rest

          ***Setup is pretty easy, but requires the user to tie a know

          EDIT: knot

          ***Hennessy used the seemingly more convenient strap that is used by Eagles Nest Outfitters, which uses looped tree straps and carabiners to attach it to the
          tree.

          EDIT: you aren't reviewing a hammock from Eagles Nest Outfitters and should not speculate as to their set-up or parts. Please keep it just to the Hennessey

          ***Once inside, it is difficult to situation your self in your sleeping bag,

          Edit: yourself

          *** Once situated, its great,

          EDIT: it's

          *** it means I had to re situate.

          EDIT: resituate

          *** Just to see how it would hold up, my grilfriend

          EDIT: girlfriend (or is she a short order cook? ;-)

          *** It prevents me from using the hammock as a leisure hammock on a nice sunny day, but you can't have the best of both worlds.

          EDIT: "but I can't have the best of both worlds" Remember that we keep the reviews in the first person. Who knows, maybe someone has a hammock that they CAN use both way, right?

          ***Hammock has a string that stretches atop the hammock and keeps the bug net high above you, but also has a storage pouch for your headlamp, keys, etc.

          EDIT: same thing here. Here is my canned explanation.
          Projection

          "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

          This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

          We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

          "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

          *** There was also ice forming on the rain fly when in the morning,

          EDIT: delete "when"

          *** It is easy to set up and great if you don't have room, moticvation, or proper terrain to setup a tent.

          EDIT: the "you" thing again, and it is "motivation"

          ***Integrated bug net is much easier than seeting up a separate bug net

          EDIT: setting
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2010
            RAY - BP - Lance Turner(1) – HH Expedition Asym - Posted Mar 20(msg#78976),
            Taken Mar 31, Edit Mar 31(79018), Repost Apr 2, Edit Apr 5(msg#79038),

            Hi Lance,
            Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Ray back on April 5. Please refer to message number 78941 at

            Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your editor and update the queue.

            Edit Administration Manager