EDIT: Owner Review - BearVault V500 - Michael Dax

  • sophie_pearson
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10, 2010
      Hi Michael,
      Below you will find your edits. I'm not sure if you updated and uploaded a slightly older version, because some of these edits I think you had corrected in your repost but they are back again now?
      They take the normal format:
      EDIT: must change
      Edit: suggested change
      Comment: Just that!

      I'm glad we managed to figure out the images, they look good!
      Cheers,
      Sophie

      2/11/10
      ****EDIT: The date needs updating to now.

      Product
      ****Edit: This is a slightly different size and font than other headings.
      Comment: We normally use the title Product Information or something along those lines, a little more descriptive.

      However, he neglected to remember to put his snacks for that day in the top of his pack and had to go into the canister which was at the bottom of his pack throughout the day each time he wanted food, but because the canister was transparent, he could easily find the particular food object he was looking for each time.
      ****Edit: This is a really long sentence! Could you split it up into 2, perhaps '...each time he wanted food. Because the canister was transparent, he could easily find the particular food object he was looking for each time though.'
      Comment: Could he not have taken the food out after the first time though?!!

      The BV500 has a couple benefits over other canisters.
      ****EDIT: couple 'of' benefits

      I took a slightly largely load than my girlfriend.
      ****EDIT: 'larger'

      matches, ID, credit card and extra batteries.
      ****Edit: I think 'credit cards' would read better

      but when backcountry regulations require them, you don’t really have another choice
      ****EDIT: 'you' is projection. Please rephrase to something like 'there really is no other choice'

      Easy Open
      ****EDIT: Open shouldn't be capitalized. The same goes for the other likes and dislikes too, only the first word needs to be capitalized.
    • Michael Dax
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 19, 2010
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Owner%20Review%20-%20BearVault%20BV500%20-%20Michael%20Dax/

        *BearVault BV500 *

        *By Michael Dax*

        *Owner Review*

        *2/11/10***

        * *

        * *

        *Tester Information*

        * *

        NAME: Michael Dax

        AGE: 23

        GENDER: Male

        HEIGHT: 6�3�� (1.9 meters)

        WEIGHT: 210 lbs. (95 kg)

        EMAIL ADDRESS: mjdax30@...

        CITY, STATE: Old Faithful, Wyoming (Yellowstone National Park)

        I grew up hiking, backpacking, and cross country skiing in the Northeast
        including New York, New Hampshire and Maine. For a short while I lived at
        the Grand Canyon and I now live in Yellowstone. I am not fanatical about
        light weight hiking, but I am starting to be more mindful of my gear.

        * *

        *Product Information*

        MANUFACTURER: BearVault

        MANUFACTURER�S WEBSITE: www.bearvault.com

        PRODUCT: BearVault BV500

        YEAR OF MANUFACTURE: 2007

        LISTED WEIGHT: 41 oz. (1.1 kg)

        ACTUAL WEIGHT: 41 oz. (1.1 kg)

        LISTED DIMENSIONS: 12.7 x 8.7 in. (32 x 19
        cm)

        ACTUAL DIMENSIONS: 13 x 8.5 in. (33 x 19 cm)

        MSRP: N/A

        * *

        * *

        *Product Description*

        The BearVault BV500 is a bear resistant canister designed as an alternative
        to rigging a bear bag so that bears and other critters cannot get to your
        food and other odorous objects. Bear Canisters are required in many popular
        backcountry camping areas including the High Sierras of California and the
        High Peaks of New York State.

        The BearVault BV500 is 700 cubic inches (11.4 liters) and roughly 13 inches
        tall by 8.5 inches in diameter (33cm x 20cm). It is designed to hold
        roughly 7 days of food.

        The BearVault BV500, along with other BearVault canisters, uses a screw top
        lid. The lid locks shut after two small knobs that are on the lid have been
        �clicked� past a piece of plastic that is on the canister. This piece of
        plastic on the canister allows for the top to be screwed on easily, but not
        off. To screw off the lid, the two knobs must be pushed inwards as each
        knob passes the piece of plastic on the canister that prevents it from
        unscrewing easily.* *

        The BearVault BV500 is made of a transparent plastic that has a bluish tint,
        but still allows its user to see into the canister from almost every angle.
        The sides of the canister have dimples and ridges that make it easier for
        the user to grip.

        * *

        *First Trip*

        My first trip with the BearVault BV500 was down into the Grand Canyon for
        two nights and three days. My friend and I camped at the same campsite in
        Grapevine Creek for the two nights and did a day trip down the creek on our
        second day. Our elevation started at 7400 feet (2250 meters) and dropped to
        2500 feet (760 meters). The terrain was rough, but because of the
        dependable weather, our packs for the trip were light at around 30 pounds
        (13.5 kg).

        My friend and I were sharing the canister. He was carrying it during the
        day, but we were both using it in camp and at night to store our food.
        Obviously,
        there are no bears at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, but there are some
        very brazen mice that were running around our feet while we were in camp.

        My friend was carrying a ULA Catalyst pack and the canister fit into his
        pack horizontally with ease. However, he neglected to remember to put his
        snacks for that day in the top of his pack and had to go into the canister
        which was at the bottom of his pack each time he wanted food. However, the
        canister was transparent, and he could easily find the particular food
        object he was looking for each time.

        When we got into camp, we both put all of our food into the canister and
        proceeded to set up camp. It was nice to be able to leave our food in the
        middle of camp knowing that it was safe from mice without having to take
        time-consuming precautions or precautions that would make it hard to quickly
        access our food once we needed it.

        The canister proved somewhat difficult to open at first. The new plastic
        was not very malleable. We ended up using the flathead screwdriver piece of
        my Swiss Army knife to push the knobs on the lid in as using our fingers
        proved difficult. This maneuver was difficult at first, but got easier with
        practice.

        The canister also made a very nice seat. However, we had to make sure that
        the lid was screwed down all the way before we sat on it. If it wasn�t, we
        would do damage to the threads on the canister and compromise its integrity.
        Making this another step in our camp routine was all we had to do to
        remember.

        The next day on our day hike, we simply took the food we needed for the day
        and left the canister sitting in camp. Once the lid was screwed tight, we
        left it for the next 8 hours completely worry free.* *

        There are other rodent resistant products that are lighter than the
        BearVault, but we used this trip as a test run for later forays into bear
        country. Its weight is definitely a burden, but with the light packs we
        were carrying, it made little difference.

        * *

        *Second Trip*

        Later in the summer, my friend, my girlfriend, and I backpacked the John
        Muir Trail (JMT) which is 220 miles (345 km) and has over 45,000 feet
        (13,200 meters) of elevation gain and loss. For the entirety of the 19 days
        that we were on the trail, we were in major black bear country. Our packs
        ranged from roughly 35 pounds (15.9 kg) when we carried 3 days of food to 45
        pounds (20.4 kg) when we carried 7 days of food. My friend and I both
        carried a BearVault BV500 while my girlfriend carried another canister.

        Once again, the canister fit well into my EMS Summit 5500 pack when placed
        horizontally. Over the course of the trip, the canister held up perfectly.
        It acquired some scuff marks, which is to be expected, but no structural
        damage was done to the canister. No bear got into the canister throughout
        the trip; however, as our canisters were always exactly where we put them
        the night before, I do not think a single bear attempted to get into our
        canisters.

        One thing that I noticed was that over the course of the 19 days, the
        canister became easier and easier to open. The more I opened it the less
        stiff the plastic lid became. It also helped that I had a lot of practice,
        and by the end of the 19 days, I had no problems opening the canister at
        all.

        The BV500 has a couple of benefits over other canisters. The first one is
        that it is transparent. It is much easier to find a toothbrush or a
        Werther�s Original at the bottom of the canister because it is transparent.
        Second, the lid on other canisters has a tendency to jam when the canister
        is very full; a problem that the BearVault did not have.

        Because we were in black bear country, we had to put everything that might
        have a scent in the canister. This meant chapstick, toothpaste, floss, and
        contact lens solution. With all of this stuff in the canister, I was still
        able to carry seven days of food. In all honesty, it was probably even more
        than that because I took a slightly larger load than my girlfriend.

        Finally, on a long trip like the JMT, it was nice to have the canister as an
        organizational tool. After we stopped at certain ranches and other
        re-supply points, it was nice to be able to put any loose change in the
        canister as opposed to having it spread throughout my pack. It was also
        great for other odds and ends such as matches, IDs, credit cards and extra
        batteries.* *

        * *

        *Summary*

        Bear canisters are a necessary evil. They are heavy and they take up a lot
        of space, but when backcountry regulations require them, there is not
        another choice. In fact, many places now require them. As far as they go,
        the BearVault BV500 is great. Its transparent body allows me to see into
        the canister which makes finding small things infinitely easier. The
        locking mechanism was initially cumbersome, but within a couple of uses it
        became much easier. It is slightly larger than many canisters, but still
        fit horizontally into every pack in which I put it. Finally, it makes a
        great seat in camp which can always be useful.

        Disclaimer: There is a black bear in the Adirondacks that has become quite
        good at opening these canisters. This is the only known instance of a bear
        breaking into the canister of which I am aware.

        *Likes* *
        Dislikes*

        Transparent Heavy

        Easy open Takes up
        space

        Good camp seat

        Good organizational tool

        Fits a lot of food

        Peace of mind

        No hassle compared to bear bag

      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 16, 2010
          KATHY/SOPHIE - Michael Dax(1) - BearVault V500 - Posted Jan 12(msg#78676), Taken Feb 1, Edit Feb 1(78752), Repost Feb 1, Edit Feb 11(78809), Repost Feb 14, Edit Feb 19(78847), Follow up Mar 5, working on HTML issues as of Mar 6, Edit Mar 10(78897), Repost Mar 17, Repost Mar 19, Edit/Approved Mar 27(79004), Followed up Apr 16

          Hi Michael,
          Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Kathy back on Mar 27. Please refer to message number 79004 at

          Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your editor and update the queue.

          Edit Administration Manager