Owner Review Granite Gear Virga Steve Huntress

  • Steve Huntress
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2010
      My apologies, but it seems that I uploaded my html version to Backpackgeartest without uploading the OR here. It's been two weeks for me to realize this, very sorry.

      ~Steve.

      Granite Gear Virga pack
      Owner Review
      February 24, 2010
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Owner%20Review%20Granite%20Gear%20Virga%20Steve%20Huntress/

      Owner Bio:
      Name: Steve Huntress
      Age: 39
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 9” (1.75 m)
      Weight: 195 lb (88 kg)
      Email: jabahutt at msn dot com
      City: Scituate
      State: MA
      Country: USA

      Outdoor Background: My interest in hiking and backpacking started after I turned 30 years old. I had always loved bicycling, weight-lifting & being outdoors. Generally a solitary person, I've grown to really enjoy solo hiking and backpacking. Any chance I can, I grab my pack and gear for a weekend overnighter. In 2008 I had my first taste of long-distance hiking when I set out on the Appalachian Trail, completing 470 miles. This opened my eyes to a world of possibilities and new enjoyments. I believe in lightweight backpacking and staying in the best physical condition possible.

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Granite Gear
      Website: http://www.granitegear.com
      Product: Virga Pack
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      MSRP: $109.95 US
      Listed Weight: l lb 3 oz (.54 kg)
      Delivered Weight: 2 lbs (.91 kg)

      Product Description:
      The Granite Gear Virga Pack is a frameless top-loading pack, capable of carrying weights of up to 20 lb (9 kg) comfortably. It has a 3200 cubic inch (52 liter) capacity. The main body is made with 70D ripstop nylon, with 210D nylon cordura reinforcements on the backrest, rear and bottom. The shoulder straps are padded. The pack has a 1.5 inch (46 cm) webbing hip belt, contains two load lifter straps, two side compression straps, two rear tie down straps and two stretch woven pockets, one on either side of the pack. It does not have a hydration sleeve. Because it has no frame, its support is gained from placing a rolled sleeping pad into it, then storing gear inside the roll.

      Field Information:
      * Location: This pack has been used on several backpacking trips throughout New England and along the east coast. It has also been used extensively on the AT over a ten week period. In all, this pack has been used for over eighty days.
      * Location Description: The terrain in which this pack has been used varies from thick wooded forests to open fields and surrounding rocky areas, elevations ranging from 500 ft (150 m) above sea level to over 4000 ft (1200 m).
      * Weather Conditions: This pack has been used in a variety of weather conditions throughout New England and along the east coast: heat (over 90 deg F/32 C), cold (below freezing), humid climates, heavy rains. It's a tough pack, and has carried more weight then the manufacturer's suggestion.
      * Trip/Performance Condition: This pack has performed without any problems and is the most reliable pack that I own. Its frameless construction allows for easy storing when not in use, as well as taking up minimal space within my tent, once all the contents have been emptied from it. The 3200 cubic inches (52 liters) of space are are more than enough to carry all that I need, whether it be on a day hike, long trips, and on both fair weather and cold weather backpacking trips.

      * What I like: My favorite points of the Virga is its lightweight and easy to wear ability. It's a basic pack, no excess straps that get in the way, reliable and has never given me a problem. It can be used on simple day hikes or extended backpacking trips. When empty, it crumples to a very small size for easy storage. It's also easy to clean, as it can be thrown in a washer machine.
      * What I dislike: The one thing I'm not too fond of is the hip belt. The Virga has a simple 1.5 inch (46 cm) webbing for the hip belt. Though this pack is the lightest backpack which Granite Gear offers, I believe that if a small amount of padding were integrated into the hip belt, it would make for a bit more comfortable wear on the hips, without adding too much weight.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 13, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 14, 2010
          Hi Steve,

          I am going to be your editor for this review. But before we get started you need the "review" in your review. Right now you have a very brief description, the field data, and a summary.

          And really it could use more description too. Packs tend to be a bit more intricate than say a shirt and we expect it to be thoroughly discussed in the review.

          Take a look at other pack reviews to see what is expected. Trust me, the only way to get selected to test a backpack is to show that you can write one up well.

          Also please check to see if your picture of the suspension is really a Virga. (Or did you get that picture from a retailer's site? I could not find it at granitegear.com)

          Once you have worked on it please REPOST here and update the HTML in the test folder.

          Thanks,

          Ray
        • Steve Huntress
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2010
            Ray, thanks so much for your suggestions & insight. I've made some edits to the review, hopefully improving it. The picture of the suspension is a Virga, though not shown on the Granite Gear website. Let me know if I should make more edits. Thanks again.

            Here's the html link,
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20Granite%20Gear%20Virga%20Steve%20Huntress/

            Granite Gear Virga pack
            Owner Review
            February 24, 2010

[...]

            The Granite Gear Virga Pack is a frameless top-loading pack, capable of carrying weights of up to 20 lb (9 kg) comfortably. It has a 3200 cubic inch (52 liter) capacity. The main body is made with 70D ripstop nylon, with 210D nylon cordura reinforcements on the backrest, rear and bottom. These are not the most lightweight fabrics on the market, but for strength and durability, are excellent choices for this type of backpack. Because the Virga has no frame, its support is gained from placing a rolled sleeping pad into it, then storing gear inside the roll.
            The padded shoulder straps are sewn into the pack, therefore are not interchangeable. The pack has a 1.5 inch (4 cm) webbing hip belt, remains tight while wearing is not interchangeable. There are 6 compression straps in all and two load lifter straps. Two rear horizontal tie down straps serve as a sort of expansion panel, allowing for additional attachment of items, such as clothing, sleeping pad or a tarp.
            There are two stretch woven pockets, one on either side of the pack. They are tight fitting to the pack and will not catch on tree branches, bushes or rock edges during hiking. They retain their shape well. The Virga does not have a hydration sleeve.

            Granite Gear Virga (Front View) Granite Gear Virga (Rear View)

[...]

            Observations

            Because of its extreme light weight, the Virga lacks three main characteristics which other lightweight packs possess. One thing, as aforementioned, is the lack of any rigid support in the form of stays. The Virga is a frameless pack, designed to be as lightweight as possible, yet still perform well. The lack of any internal support doesn't detract from the pack's quality. However, the user should follow the manufacturer's suggestion of not overloading the pack beyond 20 lbs (9 kg). I will admit, I've had this pack filled to approximately 35 lbs (16 kg) on more than one occasion. For short term usage, this won't ruin the pack, but I wouldn't recommend making this a common practice. After all, the pack is designed for ultralite backpackers, and should be used in accordance with this philosophy.

            Another difference of this pack from other lightweight packs is the hip belt. The hip belt on the Virga is a 1.5 inch (4 cm) webbing. The pack is not designed with the idea to transfer much weight to the user's hips. Most of the pack's weight is carried on the user's shoulders. If the pack weight is kept within the manufacturer's recommendation, then this isn't at all uncomfortable for the user. If the pack is overloaded for prolonged periods, this could become uncomfortable for the user, as well as cause premature wear of the pack. I find the hip belt to be adequate for my use, allowing free movement of my hips and not constricting.
            The third main feature in which the Virga differs in comparison to other lightweight packs is the shoulder straps. On many other lightweight packs the shoulder straps are not very well padded, and some have no padding at all. I believe Granite Gear has integrated just the right amount of padding into the shoulder straps. Some people may argue that in fact there's too much padding in the Virga's shoulder straps, and that by minimizing this, more weight could be shed. I feel this would detract from their comfort, and believe the weight savings would not be justified. The Virga's shoulder straps are fixed padded straps. They are not interchangeable. They are very comfortable for my use and I found the sternum strap to keep the pack stable on my back, no shifting from side to side.
            The stitching quality of the Granite Gear Virga is superb. With the hundreds of miles I've put on this pack, none of its stitching has failed or even loosened. The fact that I have overloaded this pack beyond the manufacturer's recommendation, without any failing of the seams or material itself, I believe is a testimony to the quality of the Virga.

            Summary
            * What I like: My favorite points of the Virga is its lightweight and easy to wear ability. It's a basic pack, no excess straps that get in the way, reliable and has never given me a problem. It can be used on simple day hikes or extended backpacking trips. When empty, it crumples to a very small size for easy storage. It's also easy to clean, as it can be thrown in a washer machine.
            * What I dislike: The one thing I'm not too fond of is the hip belt. The Virga has a simple 1.5 inch (4 cm) webbing for the hip belt. Though this pack is the lightest backpack which Granite Gear offers, I believe that if a small amount of padding were integrated into the hip belt, it would make for a bit more comfortable wear on the hips, without adding too much weight.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 18, 2010
              Hi Steve,

              This is better. OK a few things to fix, but we are just about done. Note that many of these edits would have been caught by running a spell/grammar check.

              Please repost again once corrected.

              Ray

              ***State: MA

              EDIT: please spell out the name for the benefit of our international readers

              *** In 2008 I had my first taste of long-distance hiking when I set out on the Appalachian Trail, completing 470 miles.

              EDIT: place the km conversion in too (757 km)

              *** I believe in lightweight backpacking and staying in the best physical condition possible.

              Comment: me too, but that physical condition part sure gets harder each year ;-)

              EDIT: please put "Images courtesy of Granite Gear" in your caption

              *** Listed Weight: l lb 3 oz (.54 kg)
              Delivered Weight: 2 lbs (.91 kg)

              Comment: That is a pretty big discrepancy. Any ideas why? My Vapor trail was about 6 oz over too.

              *** with 210D nylon cordura reinforcements on the backrest, rear and bottom.

              EDIT: Cordura (cap as it is a trademarked name, proper noun)

              *** The Virga does not have a hydration sleeve.

              Edit: the web site says that it is hydration compatible. Does it just have a port or something?

              *** It has also been used extensively on the AT

              EDIT: you and I know what the AT is but it should be spelled out at least the first time. Oh you do have it in your bio. Maybe throw a (AT) next to it up there, and then you can just use AT everywhere else. (Or do it here.)

              *** heat (over 90 deg F/32 C), cold (below freezing), humid climates, heavy rains.

              EDIT: "and" heavy rains.

              ***It's a tough pack, and has carried more weight then the manufacturer's suggestion.

              EDIT: "than" the manufacturer's suggestion.

              *** The 3200 cubic inches (52 liters) of space are are more than enough to carry all that I need,

              EDIT: delete one "are"

              ***Because of its extreme light weight, the Virga lacks three main characteristics which other lightweight packs possess.

              EDIT: which "many" other lightweight packs possess. (There are other packs share the design)

              *** The hip belt on the Virga is a 1.5 inch (4 cm) webbing.

              EDIT: delete "a"

              *** the pack weight is kept within the manufacturer's recommendation, then this isn't at all uncomfortable for the user. If the pack is overloaded for prolonged periods, this could become uncomfortable for the user

              EDIT: this is projection. You can't know that it will be fine for anybody except yourself. Please keep the review in the first person and say what works for you, not other users

              *** My favorite points of the Virga is its lightweight and easy to wear ability.

              EDIT: My favorite points of the Virga are its lightweight and easy to wear ability

              ***The Virga has a simple 1.5 inch (4 cm) webbing for the hip belt

              EDIT: again, either drop the "a" or say it has "a piece of" simple 1.5 inch (4 cm) webbing for the hip belt.
              .
            • Steve Huntress
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 19, 2010
                Hi Ray,

                Ok, hopefully I made all the needed edits. Sorry for missing the simple mispells & grammar errors. If there's anything else, I'd be happy to correct it.

                The discrepancy in the weight of the pack & the package weight I believe is just how the shipper boxed it up. I bought this pack, slightly used, from an individual, so it didn't come directly from a store. There was a lot of "extra" material in the box.

                I did notice on the Granite Gear site that it states the Virga is hydration compatible, but I believe it's an error on their part. The pack lacks both a sleeve and a port.

                Thanks again Ray for your help. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to make the review better.

                Steve H.

                Granite Gear Virga pack
                Owner Review
                February 24, 2010

                Owner Bio:
                Name: Steve Huntress
                Age: 39
                Gender: Male
                Height: 5' 9” (1.75 m)
                Weight: 195 lb (88 kg)
                Email: jabahutt at msn dot com
                City: Scituate
                State: Massachusetts
                Country: USA

                Outdoor Background: My interest in hiking and backpacking started after I turned 30 years old. I had always loved bicycling, weight-lifting & being outdoors. Generally a solitary person, I've grown to really enjoy solo hiking and backpacking. Any chance I can, I grab my pack and gear for a weekend overnighter. In 2008 I had my first taste of long-distance hiking when I set out on the Appalachian Trail (known as the AT by many), completing 470 miles (770 km). This opened my eyes to a world of possibilities and new enjoyments. I believe in lightweight backpacking and staying in the best physical condition possible.

[...]

                There are two stretch woven pockets, one on either side of the pack. They are tight fitting to the pack and will not catch on tree branches, bushes or rock edges during hiking. They retain their shape well, and I believe perform better than mesh style pockets found on many other ultralite packs, which can stretch and become misshapen. The Virga does not have a hydration sleeve or even a hydration port, although the Granite Gear website states that the pack is hydration compatible. Perhaps this is an added feature on the current Virga model.

                Granite Gear Virga (Front View) Granite Gear Virga (Rear View)

                (Images Courtesy of Granite Gear)

                Field Information
                * Location: This pack has been used on several backpacking trips throughout New England and along the east coast. It has also been used extensively on the Appalachian Trail over a ten week period. In all, this pack has been used for over eighty days.
                * Location Description: The terrain in which this pack has been used varies from thick wooded forests to open fields and surrounding rocky areas, elevations ranging from 500 ft (150 m) above sea level to over 4000 ft (1200 m).
                * Weather Conditions: This pack has been used in a variety of weather conditions throughout New England and along the east coast: heat (over 90 deg F/32 C), cold (below freezing), humid climates and heavy rains. It's a tough pack, and has carried more weight than the manufacturer's suggestion.
                * Trip/Performance Condition: This pack has performed without any problems and is the most reliable pack that I own. Its frameless construction allows for easy storing when not in use, as well as taking up minimal space within my tent, once all the contents have been emptied from it. The 3200 cubic inches (52 liters) of space are more than enough to carry all that I need, whether it be on a day hike, long trips, and on both fair weather and cold weather backpacking trips.

                Observations

                Summary
                * What I like: My favorite points of the Virga are its lightweight and easy to wear ability. It's a basic pack, no excess straps that get in the way, reliable and has never given me a problem. It can be used on simple day hikes or extended backpacking trips. When empty, it crumples to a very small size for easy storage. It's also easy to clean, as it can be thrown in a washer machine.
                * What I dislike: The one thing I'm not too fond of is the hip belt. The Virga has a simple piece of 1.5 inch (4 cm) webbing for the hip belt. Though this pack is the lightest backpack which Granite Gear offers, I believe that if a small amount of padding were integrated into the hip belt, it would make for a bit more comfortable wear on the hips, without adding too much weight.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 19, 2010
                  Ray,

                  Sorry for not including the link to the html version. Here it is,

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 20, 2010
                    Hi Steve,

                    Check your HTML version. The entire Observations section is missing.

                    Ray

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 20, 2010
                      Ray,

                      My apologies, I don't understand what happened. It should be fixed now.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 20, 2010
                        OK Steve,

                        This looks good now. (Although I am doing this on a laptop at the airport and it is scrolling a bit on my screen. maybe check to make sure the two pictures are not wider than 650 pixels.)

                        You can upload it here:

                        Reviews > Packs > Frameless Backpacks and Day Packs > Granite Gear Virga Pack

                        Or: http://tinyurl.com/y9lw7do

                        Log in to BGT, and then navigate to that folder. Click "Upload File," be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the instructions to upload your HTML file and pictures.

                        As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
                        Agreement, for which see:

                        http://tinyurl.com/dndp

                        that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in the testing
                        process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your paperwork in, please do
                        so at your earliest opportunity.

                        You will also need to join:

                        This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

                        However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

                        Congratulations!

                        Ray
                      • Steve Huntress
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 21, 2010
                          Hi Ray,

                          Great, thanks for all your help & suggestions! I uploaded it to the folder. The images are both less than 650 pixels wide. Just need to get my paperwork in & I'll be ready to go. And yes, I'll keep on doing the reviews.

                          One question regarding the reviews which we submit to this group:  can they be posted elsewhere say, on a personal blog, or once submitted, do they become property of the group? I don't remember seeing this addressed anywhere. Thanks for any insight.

                          ~Steve.

                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/backpackge artesters/