OR - Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Tent - Chad Poindexter

  • Stick
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
      Fine Editors,

      Here is another OR to add to the mix. I have been afraid to write a
      review on my tent since I started. I had started this report last month
      then sat on it. I came back to it today and wiped the whole thing clean
      and started over. So I'm sure it has it's fair share of errors, or weird
      reading but I've decided to go ahead and post it and see what happens.
      So without further a due...

      As usual, the HTML can be found here:
      Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Tent <http://tinyurl.com/ya4uor3>

      and the text version will follow....

      Thank you so much for your time and efforts,
      Chad

      KELTY GRAND MESA 2 TENT
      BY CHAD POINDEXTER
      OR
      March 06, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chad Poindexter
      EMAIL: chad (DOT) poindexter (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I am a fairly new hiker and have hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains
      National Park, on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, and at a few state
      parks in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. I have obtained some heavy
      gear, but dream of going light. I love my tent and appreciate a warm
      drink in the morning, as well as a warm meal at night. So far my
      distance has averaged around 10 mi (16 km) per day, depending on
      terrain. I usually hike with my wife or my son however I am currently
      planning my first solo hike!

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Courtesy of
      Kelty">>
      Manufacturer: Kelty
      Model: Grand Mesa 2
      Year of Purchase: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.kelty.com/"
      LINK TEXT = "www.kelty.com">>
      MSRP: (US) $ 139.95
      Listed Packaged Weight: 4 lb 10 oz (2.10 kg)
      Listed Minimum weight: 4 lb 2 oz (1.87 kg)
      Measured Total Weight: 4 lb 9 oz oz (2.07 g)
      Listed Length: 82 in (208 cm) ~ Measured: 81 in (206 cm)
      Listed Width at Head: 58 in (147 cm) ~ Measured: 57 in (145 cm)
      Measured Width at Foot: 43.75 in (111 cm)
      Listed Floor area: 29 ft^2 (2.7 m^2)
      Listed Height: 44 in (112 cm) ~ Measured Accurate
      Number of poles: 2 ~ 9 mm (0.9 cm) DAC Press-fit Poles
      Number of vestibules: 1
      Vestibule area: 6 ft^2 (0.6 m^2)
      Number of doors: 1
      Seasons: 3
      Wall Material: 68D 190T polyester taffeta
      Floor Material: 1800 mm PU polyester taffeta
      Fly Material: 75D 190T, 1800 mm PU polyester taffeta
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "At Sipsey
      Wilderness">>
      Kelty notes that the Grand Mesa 2 tent (hereafter referred to as the
      "tent") as being made with "high-quality" materials and is offered at a
      "great value." The tent is marketed as a two man, 3 season tent. The
      Grand Mesa 2 is a free standing, single-door, front-entry, double-walled
      tent with a single vestibule located at the front. Included in the box
      is the tent body, the fly, 2 DAC Press-fit poles with stuff sack, 12
      aluminum "J" tent stakes measuring 8 in (20.3 cm) with stuff sack, 4
      black rounded nylon guy-out cords measuring 78 in (198 cm), and a large
      stuff sack to fit everything in. Of course care, maintenance and
      assembly instructions are included in the box as well.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4">>The tent is easily set up by 1
      person. First I lay the tent out flat and then assemble the poles. I lay
      the poles across the top of the tent in the shape of an "X" and then
      begin inserting the ends of the poles into the grommets on the nylon
      straps located at each corner of the tent (see picture to left). <<IMAGE
      GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5">> (Note: these same nylon strips are
      also used to secure the fly using the buckle style clip as well as
      anchor the tent down using the loops at the end with the stakes.) Next I
      lift the tent body by the hooks found in the center of the tent body and
      connect the hooks to the poles where the poles cross one another (at the
      "X") and then begin hooking the remaining hooks (picture to right) on
      the tent body to the poles. After this is done I position the tent where
      I want it and then I use 4 of the stakes to pull the tent taut and then
      anchor the tent down.

      Upon erection, the tent is a burgundy color near the bottom and an
      off-white color at the top and there is mesh on both of the side walls
      of the tent as well on the back and the door (which can be seen in the
      picture at beginning of review). There are two mesh pockets located
      inside the tent at the front corners and a nylon loop sewn into the
      inside top of the tent which allows lights or what-nots to be hung from.
      There is a seam that runs horizontal across the middle of the floor
      which is completely taped. The Kelty logo is imprinted on the bottom
      right hand corner of the front of the tent (facing), just below the
      door.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 13" IMAGE CAPTION = "Vent on
      back">>The fly is a tan color and has the same Kelty logo (only larger)
      printed on the front left side (facing) with the zippered door opening
      on the right. There is a strip of a burgundy colored material which
      covers the zipper and aids in keeping the water from leaking through the
      zipper. All seams on the fly are taped on the underside. Located on the
      back side of the fly is a beaked opening which correlates with the mesh
      on the back of the tent body and allows the tent to ventilate while the
      fly is in use (as seen in picture to the left).

      The fly is attached four different ways for complete security. First the
      corners of the fly clip into the buckle style clip found on the nylon
      strips at each corner of the tent (again, seen in picture above left).
      Next there are four hook-and-loop fasteners sewn into the underside of
      the fly which lines up and loops around the poles and assists in holding
      the fly on the tent. Now the fly can be guyed out using the nylon loops
      sewn into the bottom edges of the fly, found midway on each side as well
      as on the back. These guy out loops are also used to control the
      proximity of the fly to the tent body wall, which helps control the
      amount of ventilation while using the fly, and ultimately affects
      condensation. Lastly there are four more nylon loops sewn into the
      outside of the fly and located about midway up the tent at each of the
      four corners (these can be seen in the picture below). These are to be
      used any time, but more importantly during times of heavy winds to help
      hold the entire tent in place.

      FIELD USE

      I have carried this tent with me on every trip that I have been on for
      the last year now except for one in which we stayed in shelters, which
      comes to approximately 15 + nights on the trail and many more overnight
      car camping trips. Not to mention the nights set up in and around my
      home! I have carried the tent with me on trips to Big Hill Pond state
      park in Tennessee, Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, Chickasaw state park in
      Tennessee, on the Appalachian Trail in North Georgia and other various
      camping grounds and back woods in northeast Mississippi.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 9" IMAGE CAPTION = "At Blood
      Mountain">>
      I have used the tent during times of rain and times of clear skies. I
      have used it in temperatures right at 10 F (-12.2 C) on the river banks
      of the Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama to nights near 85 F (29.4 C) or
      above at Big Hill Pond state park. I have used the tent in a variety of
      elevations ranging from 500 ft (152 m) at Big Hill Pond state park to
      4,450 ft (1356 m) atop Blood Mountain on the Appalachian Trail in
      Georgia.

      SUMMARY

      Upon tearing it out of the box the first thing I noticed was how soft
      and slick the material felt, also how thin it felt, even the floor! I am
      used to the thicker rougher feel of the cheaper tents typically found at
      department stores and of course the tarp-like floor, so I was completely
      amazed at the materials used for the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 tent. The poles
      are thin and smooth, but sturdy feeling. The first time I set it up it
      went together very easily and smoothly. Success was sweet!

      The first trip I took it on was an overnight trip to Big Hill Pond state
      park with my son. It was a wet hike in and I was a little worried since
      this was the first time I was really using this tent, and it was
      raining. That night as I laid inside the tent and listened to the rain
      fall harder I kept hoping that the tent would keep the water out. The
      next morning I woke up dry as a bone, and it was still raining outside.

      The tent accommodates two snugly. I have found that while two sleeping
      pads and bags are inside the tent, the sides of the bags will lay up
      against the sides of the tent. Also, my regular size sleeping bag will
      just hit the front door and back wall of the tent. This doesn't make
      things necessarily uncomfortable, however if condensation is going to be
      a problem I will usually lay my rain jacket around the foot of my
      sleeping bag to help keep some of the moisture off of my sleeping bag.
      While there is a fair amount of mesh on the tent, proper ventilation
      techniques must still be used to minimize the amount of interior
      condensation, as with any tent. If at all possible I try to use the tent
      without the fly on to utilize the maximum amount of ventilation. At
      times I have even left the door partially or fully unzipped. For those
      times that I was not sure about the night I would attach the fly to the
      back side of the tent and let it lay on the ground so that if I needed
      to I could jump out and pull the fly over the tent and make the needed
      attachments quickly.

      I have come to like this tent very well. There are a few things that I
      wish were a little different, but for the price and the overall
      durability of this tent I have no room to complain. The tent is well
      made however there are some loose threads here and there but have caused
      no problems except for maybe with appearance (no affect on me). I will
      make note that I replaced the provided aluminum "J" hooks with a
      complete set of MSR Groundhog stakes. I used the provided stakes for the
      first couple of months and then decided to replace them. I did bend one
      of the provided stakes slightly while trying to drive it in some rocky
      ground. While the provided stakes are more than adequate for soft soil,
      they would not prove the same in much harder rock laden soil.

      This is my first backpacking tent. With this tent I have learned more
      about tents so that the next tent I purchase I will know things to look
      for in particular. I cannot condemn this tent for not meeting all of my
      expectations when I didn't know them myself. So for this tent, for what
      it is, it is a very reliable tent. I feel very comfortable recommending
      the tent to others, however I can give them more info than what I had
      when buying. This is a great little tent that I plan on using for many
      more trips to come.

      THINGS I LIKE

      The quality of the tent is not perfect, but very nice.
      Its size makes it a great solo tent, but still effective for two.
      It keeps the water out very well.
      It is very easy to set up.
      The price was easy on the wallet.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      The only concern I have with it is some of the loose threads, however
      they have caused no real issues of concern.

      SIGNATURE

      Chad Poindexter
      "Stick"

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 13, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 14, 2010
          Hi Chad,

          Thanks for the Owner Review, nice job. You know the drill. Once you have addressed the edits you can place the corrected version at:

          Reviews > Shelters > Tents > Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Tent

          Or here: http://tinyurl.com/yzqooac

          Ray

          ***Measured Total Weight: 4 lb 9 oz oz (2.07 g)

          EDIT: delete one "oz"

          ***Number of poles: 2 ~ 9 mm (0.9 cm) DAC Press-fit Poles

          Edit: we actually have never required pole sizes to be converted as they are only ever listed in metric. But were it so, the conversion would have been to Imperial, or 0.35 inch

          ***Kelty notes that the Grand Mesa 2 tent (hereafter referred to as the "tent") as being made with "high-quality" materials

          EDIT: this sentence is a bit garbled. Try something like,
          Kelty notes that the Grand Mesa 2 tent (hereafter referred to as the "tent") "is" made with "high-quality" materials

          *** The tent is marketed as a two man, 3 season tent.

          EDIT: Do they discriminate? ;-) Actually they call it a two person tent

          ***The first trip I took it on was an overnight trip to Big Hill Pond state park

          EDIT: Big Hill Pond "State Park"

          *** That night as I laid inside the tent

          EDIT: That night as I "lay" inside the tent

          ***While there is a fair amount of mesh on the tent, proper ventilation techniques must still be used to minimize the amount of interior condensation, as with any tent.

          EDIT: you should delete the "as with any tent" unless you have used them allÂ…

          ***If at all possible I try to use the tent without the fly on to utilize the maximum amount of ventilation. At times I have even left the door partially or fully unzipped. For those times that I was not sure about the night I would attach the fly to the back side of the tent and let it lay on the ground so that if I needed to I could jump out and pull the fly over the tent and make the needed attachments quickly.

          Comment: I do the same thing

          *** I will make note that I replaced the provided aluminum "J" hooks with a complete set of MSR Groundhog stakes.

          While most of us know who MSR is we are supposed to spell it out at least the first use
        • Stick
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 14, 2010
            Ray,
            Thanks for the edits, always enjoy them. I have made the corrections and have place the finalized report in it's new-found home that you have provided. The old report has been removed from the test folder, never to be seen again!
            Til next time,
            Chad
          • Fahlgren, Eric
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 14, 2010
              Ray wrote to Chad:
              > ***Measured Total Weight: 4 lb 9 oz oz (2.07 g)
              >
              > EDIT: delete one "oz"

              And shouldn't that be "kg", too?
            • Ray
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
                Ha, you are correct.

                Oh Chad...

                Ray

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Fahlgren, Eric" <efahlgren@...> wrote:

                > Ray wrote to Chad:
                > > ***Measured Total Weight: 4 lb 9 oz oz (2.07 g)
                > >
                > > EDIT: delete one "oz"
                >
                > And shouldn't that be "kg", too?

              • Stick
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 16, 2010
                  Ray,

                  The Kelty GM2 report is now corrected and reloaded. Sorry about that. Thanks for the catch though Eric. All those letters and numbers run together....

                  Chad