Follow up for Michael Dax Re: Owner Review - BearVault V500

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2010
      SOPHIE - Michael Dax(1) - BearVault V500 - Posted Jan 12(msg#78676), Taken Feb 1, Edit Feb 1(78752), Repost Feb 1, Edit Feb 11(78809), Repost Feb 14, Edit Feb 19(78847), Follow up Mar 5,

      Hi Michael,
      Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Sophie back on Feb 19. Please refer to message number 78847 at

      Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your editor and update the queue.

      Edit Administration Manager
    • sophie_pearson
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 6, 2010
        Hi Jamie,
        Just to let you know that Michael and I have been working on some html issues with his images. Hopefully it is pretty much sorted and then he will be able to upload!
        Cheers,
        Sophie

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 10, 2010
          Hi Michael,
          Below you will find your edits. I'm not sure if you updated and uploaded a slightly older version, because some of these edits I think you had corrected in your repost but they are back again now?
          They take the normal format:
          EDIT: must change
          Edit: suggested change
          Comment: Just that!

          I'm glad we managed to figure out the images, they look good!
          Cheers,
          Sophie

          2/11/10
          ****EDIT: The date needs updating to now.

          Product
          ****Edit: This is a slightly different size and font than other headings.
          Comment: We normally use the title Product Information or something along those lines, a little more descriptive.

          However, he neglected to remember to put his snacks for that day in the top of his pack and had to go into the canister which was at the bottom of his pack throughout the day each time he wanted food, but because the canister was transparent, he could easily find the particular food object he was looking for each time.
          ****Edit: This is a really long sentence! Could you split it up into 2, perhaps '...each time he wanted food. Because the canister was transparent, he could easily find the particular food object he was looking for each time though.'
          Comment: Could he not have taken the food out after the first time though?!!

          The BV500 has a couple benefits over other canisters.
          ****EDIT: couple 'of' benefits

          I took a slightly largely load than my girlfriend.
          ****EDIT: 'larger'

          matches, ID, credit card and extra batteries.
          ****Edit: I think 'credit cards' would read better

          but when backcountry regulations require them, you don’t really have another choice
          ****EDIT: 'you' is projection. Please rephrase to something like 'there really is no other choice'

          Easy Open
          ****EDIT: Open shouldn't be capitalized. The same goes for the other likes and dislikes too, only the first word needs to be capitalized.
        • Michael Dax
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 19, 2010
            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Owner%20Review%20-%20BearVault%20BV500%20-%20Michael%20Dax/

            *BearVault BV500 *

            *By Michael Dax*

            *Owner Review*

            *2/11/10***

            * *

            * *

            *Tester Information*

            * *

            NAME: Michael Dax

            AGE: 23

            GENDER: Male

            HEIGHT: 6�3�� (1.9 meters)

            WEIGHT: 210 lbs. (95 kg)

            EMAIL ADDRESS: mjdax30@...

            CITY, STATE: Old Faithful, Wyoming (Yellowstone National Park)

            I grew up hiking, backpacking, and cross country skiing in the Northeast
            including New York, New Hampshire and Maine. For a short while I lived at
            the Grand Canyon and I now live in Yellowstone. I am not fanatical about
            light weight hiking, but I am starting to be more mindful of my gear.

            * *

            *Product Information*

            MANUFACTURER: BearVault

            MANUFACTURER�S WEBSITE: www.bearvault.com

            PRODUCT: BearVault BV500

            YEAR OF MANUFACTURE: 2007

            LISTED WEIGHT: 41 oz. (1.1 kg)

            ACTUAL WEIGHT: 41 oz. (1.1 kg)

            LISTED DIMENSIONS: 12.7 x 8.7 in. (32 x 19
            cm)

            ACTUAL DIMENSIONS: 13 x 8.5 in. (33 x 19 cm)

            MSRP: N/A

            * *

            * *

            *Product Description*

            The BearVault BV500 is a bear resistant canister designed as an alternative
            to rigging a bear bag so that bears and other critters cannot get to your
            food and other odorous objects. Bear Canisters are required in many popular
            backcountry camping areas including the High Sierras of California and the
            High Peaks of New York State.

            The BearVault BV500 is 700 cubic inches (11.4 liters) and roughly 13 inches
            tall by 8.5 inches in diameter (33cm x 20cm). It is designed to hold
            roughly 7 days of food.

            The BearVault BV500, along with other BearVault canisters, uses a screw top
            lid. The lid locks shut after two small knobs that are on the lid have been
            �clicked� past a piece of plastic that is on the canister. This piece of
            plastic on the canister allows for the top to be screwed on easily, but not
            off. To screw off the lid, the two knobs must be pushed inwards as each
            knob passes the piece of plastic on the canister that prevents it from
            unscrewing easily.* *

            The BearVault BV500 is made of a transparent plastic that has a bluish tint,
            but still allows its user to see into the canister from almost every angle.
            The sides of the canister have dimples and ridges that make it easier for
            the user to grip.

            * *

            *First Trip*

            My first trip with the BearVault BV500 was down into the Grand Canyon for
            two nights and three days. My friend and I camped at the same campsite in
            Grapevine Creek for the two nights and did a day trip down the creek on our
            second day. Our elevation started at 7400 feet (2250 meters) and dropped to
            2500 feet (760 meters). The terrain was rough, but because of the
            dependable weather, our packs for the trip were light at around 30 pounds
            (13.5 kg).

            My friend and I were sharing the canister. He was carrying it during the
            day, but we were both using it in camp and at night to store our food.
            Obviously,
            there are no bears at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, but there are some
            very brazen mice that were running around our feet while we were in camp.

            My friend was carrying a ULA Catalyst pack and the canister fit into his
            pack horizontally with ease. However, he neglected to remember to put his
            snacks for that day in the top of his pack and had to go into the canister
            which was at the bottom of his pack each time he wanted food. However, the
            canister was transparent, and he could easily find the particular food
            object he was looking for each time.

            When we got into camp, we both put all of our food into the canister and
            proceeded to set up camp. It was nice to be able to leave our food in the
            middle of camp knowing that it was safe from mice without having to take
            time-consuming precautions or precautions that would make it hard to quickly
            access our food once we needed it.

            The canister proved somewhat difficult to open at first. The new plastic
            was not very malleable. We ended up using the flathead screwdriver piece of
            my Swiss Army knife to push the knobs on the lid in as using our fingers
            proved difficult. This maneuver was difficult at first, but got easier with
            practice.

            The canister also made a very nice seat. However, we had to make sure that
            the lid was screwed down all the way before we sat on it. If it wasn�t, we
            would do damage to the threads on the canister and compromise its integrity.
            Making this another step in our camp routine was all we had to do to
            remember.

            The next day on our day hike, we simply took the food we needed for the day
            and left the canister sitting in camp. Once the lid was screwed tight, we
            left it for the next 8 hours completely worry free.* *

            There are other rodent resistant products that are lighter than the
            BearVault, but we used this trip as a test run for later forays into bear
            country. Its weight is definitely a burden, but with the light packs we
            were carrying, it made little difference.

            * *

            *Second Trip*

            Later in the summer, my friend, my girlfriend, and I backpacked the John
            Muir Trail (JMT) which is 220 miles (345 km) and has over 45,000 feet
            (13,200 meters) of elevation gain and loss. For the entirety of the 19 days
            that we were on the trail, we were in major black bear country. Our packs
            ranged from roughly 35 pounds (15.9 kg) when we carried 3 days of food to 45
            pounds (20.4 kg) when we carried 7 days of food. My friend and I both
            carried a BearVault BV500 while my girlfriend carried another canister.

            Once again, the canister fit well into my EMS Summit 5500 pack when placed
            horizontally. Over the course of the trip, the canister held up perfectly.
            It acquired some scuff marks, which is to be expected, but no structural
            damage was done to the canister. No bear got into the canister throughout
            the trip; however, as our canisters were always exactly where we put them
            the night before, I do not think a single bear attempted to get into our
            canisters.

            One thing that I noticed was that over the course of the 19 days, the
            canister became easier and easier to open. The more I opened it the less
            stiff the plastic lid became. It also helped that I had a lot of practice,
            and by the end of the 19 days, I had no problems opening the canister at
            all.

            The BV500 has a couple of benefits over other canisters. The first one is
            that it is transparent. It is much easier to find a toothbrush or a
            Werther�s Original at the bottom of the canister because it is transparent.
            Second, the lid on other canisters has a tendency to jam when the canister
            is very full; a problem that the BearVault did not have.

            Because we were in black bear country, we had to put everything that might
            have a scent in the canister. This meant chapstick, toothpaste, floss, and
            contact lens solution. With all of this stuff in the canister, I was still
            able to carry seven days of food. In all honesty, it was probably even more
            than that because I took a slightly larger load than my girlfriend.

            Finally, on a long trip like the JMT, it was nice to have the canister as an
            organizational tool. After we stopped at certain ranches and other
            re-supply points, it was nice to be able to put any loose change in the
            canister as opposed to having it spread throughout my pack. It was also
            great for other odds and ends such as matches, IDs, credit cards and extra
            batteries.* *

            * *

            *Summary*

            Bear canisters are a necessary evil. They are heavy and they take up a lot
            of space, but when backcountry regulations require them, there is not
            another choice. In fact, many places now require them. As far as they go,
            the BearVault BV500 is great. Its transparent body allows me to see into
            the canister which makes finding small things infinitely easier. The
            locking mechanism was initially cumbersome, but within a couple of uses it
            became much easier. It is slightly larger than many canisters, but still
            fit horizontally into every pack in which I put it. Finally, it makes a
            great seat in camp which can always be useful.

            Disclaimer: There is a black bear in the Adirondacks that has become quite
            good at opening these canisters. This is the only known instance of a bear
            breaking into the canister of which I am aware.

            *Likes* *
            Dislikes*

            Transparent Heavy

            Easy open Takes up
            space

            Good camp seat

            Good organizational tool

            Fits a lot of food

            Peace of mind

            No hassle compared to bear bag

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 16, 2010
              KATHY/SOPHIE - Michael Dax(1) - BearVault V500 - Posted Jan 12(msg#78676), Taken Feb 1, Edit Feb 1(78752), Repost Feb 1, Edit Feb 11(78809), Repost Feb 14, Edit Feb 19(78847), Follow up Mar 5, working on HTML issues as of Mar 6, Edit Mar 10(78897), Repost Mar 17, Repost Mar 19, Edit/Approved Mar 27(79004), Followed up Apr 16

              Hi Michael,
              Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Kathy back on Mar 27. Please refer to message number 79004 at