OR Nanci Hawkins Pelican VB3 flashlight

  • nanci Paroubek
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2010
      here's my second OR:

      PELICAN VB3 LED LIGHT
      BY NANCI HAWKINS
      OR
      March 04, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nanci Paroubek
      EMAIL: nhawkinsDOTwisewoman@...
      AGE: 43
      LOCATION: Rodman, New York USA
      GENDER: f
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.00 kg)

      I started backpacking over 20 years ago.  My husband and I backpacked and car camped often when we were younger.  Now we enjoy day hiking with our two kids and are getting back into backpacking because they're able to hike with us instead of on us.  Typically 1-3 day hikes, most often local. We hike three seasons in the Adirondacks - black fly, mosquito, and cold.  Most of our equipment comes from before I'd ever heard the term ultralight, but I have been known to cut down a toothbrush.  With the kids, space and weight has become more of an issue.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Pelican Products, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail_specs.php?recordID=2220" LINK TEXT = "Pelican Products Inc. VB3 2220 LED Flashlight">>
      MSRP: US$ 22.25
      Listed Weight: 1oz (3 g)
      Measured Weight (with batteries): 1oz (3 g)
      Other details: listed as 3.5 inches long, mine measures 3 inches and 1 inch wide.  (7.5 cm by 2.5)
      The Pelican VB3 LED flashlight is a small, light weight LED flashlight that can be hand held or clipped on to clothing or to the brim of your hat.  It will clip onto items up to one half inch (1.3 cm) thick, and the head of the light will rotate up to nearly 180 degrees to aim the light as needed.  It uses two CR2032 3V Lithium coin batteries, with a listed battery burn time of 100 hours.  It comes in black, orange, yellow, or transluscent red or blue.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1">>    <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>

      FIELD USE

      I have only used this light for seven days (and nights) of hiking thus far, but the first night was enough to convince me.  I often (who am I kidding, always) need to get up to go in the middle of the night.  As a result, my flashlight/headlamp gets plenty of use.  This flashlight is smaller and lighter than my previous flashlight.  It's lighter than my headlamp, and the little clip means I can use it hands free, or not, as I wish, and it won't fall off my head when I try to make sure my boots are safe.
      The little clip also means I can attach it to the edge of my sleeping bag-no more hunting around in the dark for a light.  If your bag has a small storage pocket this might not be as important to you, but I expect it would fit easily into that pocket.  The head of the flashlight can be swivelled to direct the light in nearly a 180 degree arc that starts facing in the same direction as the clip and ends facing away from it.  The light can be clipped to the brim of your hat and face back at you, at the ground, or straight forward, or clip it to the edge of your shirt, and it can swivel into place from there.
      I have never had the light slip from its grip, and it has stayed pointed in the direction it's placed.  It lights when opened.  The switch is secure and has not turned on accidentaly.  I found it easy to turn on and off without gloves, but I think it would be difficult to do while wearing gloves or mittens.

      SUMMARY

      The Pelican VB3 LED flashlight is lightweight, easily packed, and easily used.  It's small enough to be in your day hike kit, and the clip means it won't roll away or be difficult to find in the middle of the night.  This allows for hands free use, or not, as you wish.  It's brighter than my previous, heavier lights, and the ability to clip the light to clothing, and to direct the light has been surprisingly useful.  The light turns on and off stiffly, which has kept it from turning on acidently, but I think it would be difficult with gloves.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Light. Small. Clip is secure, and more useful than I expected.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Switch too stiff for gloves

      Signature

      Nanci Paroubek

      Copyright 2010.  All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2010
          Hello Nanci

          Thank you for your Owner Review, your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Place a version in the Test Fold also please, and give me a link to it or the name of.

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer'sWebsite:http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail_specs.php?recordID=2220"

          EDIT: this needs to be the top level URL (homepage) not the actual product URL

          ***MSRP: US$ 22.25

          EDIT: if the MSRP is not on the manufacturer's website we just mark this as N/A

          ***The Pelican VB3 LED flashlight is a small, light weight LED flashlight that can
          be hand held or clipped on to clothing or to the brim of your hat.

          EDIT: We keep everything in the first person, no "you"s, just "me" and "I". Here is my canned explanation.

          Projection

          "When you tighten the laces on the boots, you pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then you tie it with a double knot and you are ready to go down the trail."

          This is a very common way to write, but in doing so we just said what "other people" would do, not our self. This is projecting our thoughts onto the reader. We do not know how other people tie their shoes. We keep away from "you" and "your" in our writing.

          We are writing a review of "our" gear based on "our" experiences. So we need to keep it in the first person. Here is how it should look;

          "When I tighten the laces on the boots, I pull the shoestrings in an out and upward motion. Then I tie it with a double knot and I'm ready to go down the trail."

          *** It comes in black, orange, yellow, or transluscent red or blue.

          EDIT: translucent

          ***If your bag has a small storage pocket this might not be as important to you, but I expect it would fit easily into that pocket.

          EDIT: keep it about you and what you know, don't speculate about how it will work for others or their situations.

          ***The head of the flashlight can be swivelled to direct the light

          EDIT: swiveled

          *** The light can be clipped to the brim of your hat and face back at you, at the ground, or straight forward, or clip it to the edge of your shirt, and it can swivel into place from there.

          EDIT: the you your thing again

          *** The switch is secure and has not turned on accidentaly.

          EDIT: accidentally

          ***I found it easy to turn on and off without gloves, but I think it would be difficult to do while wearing gloves or mittens.

          Comment: you don't have a pair of gloves to try it?

          ***It's small enough to be in your day hike kit,

          EDIT: the your thing again

          ***The light turns on and off stiffly, which has kept it from turning on acidently,

          EDIT: accidentally

          ***Switch too stiff for gloves

          You need to delete this if you have never tried it to know