OWNER REVIEW - Gerber Camp Axe

  • jmdepies
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2010
      Gerber Camp Axe

      Name: Joel Michael Depies
      Age: 28
      Height: 5'8" (1.65 Meters)
      Weight: 170 pounds. (77 Kilograms)
      City, State, Country: Blaine, Minnesota, United States
      My email address is jmdepies@...
      Date: March 1st, 2010

      Backpacking Backgrounds: I began backpacking when I entered the United States Army Infantry around 7 years ago and rucksacked quite a bit in basic training. After rucksacking in the army I was hooked on spending time in the woods and carrying all of my resources on my back. I usually carry a pack around 40 pounds. I usually hike in the northwoods of Minnesota and Wisconsin in the summer as well as in the winter. This hiking involves warm temperatures in the 100's as well as freezing temperatures.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Gerber
      Year of Manufacture:2008
      URL of Manufacture: http://www.gerbergear.com/
      Listed Weight: 38.0 oz. (1077 g)
      Weight as Delivered: 65.0 oz. (1843 g)
      Overall Length: 17.52" (44.50 cm)
      Blade Length: 3.12" (7.92 cm)

      Product Description: The Gerber camp axe is balanced and can take a pounding even though the handle is plastic and hollow. The head of the axe is stainless steel and it does keep a good edge for 15-20 sustained uses. The Gerber camp axe is also very light and perfect for taking on backpacking trips where you are going to hack down a lot of firewood.

      Field Information
      Location of testing: I have used the Gerber Camp Axe in the Midwest mostly in Minnesota and Wisconsin, during all four seasons. I bought this axe because I wanted something to chop wood while I was on longer backpacking trips. The first time that I brought this axe along on a trip I did not even realize that I was carrying an axe because it is so light. When I got into camp it more then paid for the weight that it took up when I was hiking. This axe chops wood like it is a full sized axe and you do not tire out swinging it because it is so light. My brother and I have chopped down full size trees with this axe and also found out that it is very durable. I have banged the shaft on many trees on accident while chopping and the handle holds very strong. I am pretty sure a traditional wooden axe would have broken or the head would have become loose a long time ago. I have also taken this axe on a couple of trips where there was water this axe does not take on any water and swell as a wooden handle would also the head has very minimal rusting.

      Summary: The Gerber Camp Axe is a very light and effective axe that makes a lot of sense to take on camping trips with you for many reasons. The Camp Axe can chop wood like a larger axe and can also serve against protection against wild animals if the rare encounter happens. I would recommend this camp axe for anyone that needs fire wood on their camping trip and wants a durable, efficient and light axe.

      Things I like:
      1.Weight of axe
      2.Stainless steel rust proof axe head
      3.Efficiency of the Axe
      4.Durability of the axe handle/construction of the axe handle

      Things I don't like:
      1.Could have a better grip on the handle like the gator models
      2.Could develop a folding version or some way to make the axe less long
      3.Should come with a way to sharpen the blade
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2010
        Thank you for your interest in writing reviews for this group and for eagerly posting your first 2 Owner Reviews (ORs). Experience has shown us that it is more efficient for both the Editors and yourself if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews. As such, this OR will be put in the "On Hold" section of our Edit Queue until OR #1 has gone through to completion and you have revised this one.
        If you have any questions please let us know.

        Cordially,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Admin Manager