OWNER REVIEW - Northface Valence GoreTex Hiking Boot

  • jmdepies
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2010
      The Northface Valence UltraTac GoreTex XCR Mid Height Hiking Boot

      Name: Joel Michael Depies
      Age: 28
      Height: 5'8" (1.65 Meters)
      Weight: 170 pounds. (77 Kilograms)
      City, State, Country: Blaine, Minnesota, United States
      My email address is jmdepies@...
      Date: March 1st, 2010

      Backpacking Backgrounds: I began backpacking when I entered the United States Army Infantry around 7 years ago and rucksacked quite a bit in basic training. After rucksacking in the army I was hooked on spending time in the woods and carrying all of my resources on my back. I usually carry a pack around 40 pounds. I usually hike in the northwoods of Minnesota and Wisconsin in the summer as well as in the winter. This hiking involves warm temperatures in the 100's as well as freezing temperatures.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: The North Face
      Year of Manufacture:2007
      URL of Manufacture: http://www.thenorthface.com
      Listed Weight: 1 Ib 14 oz (854 g)
      Weight as Delivered: 2 Ib 3 oz (104 g)
      Product Description: This boot is made for fast light ascents and has a waterproof GORE-TEX membrane. The GORE-TEX membrane will keep out water in anything short of a 5 hour straight down pore. This shoe has a high abrasion protective toe and heel cap to protect against toe stubs on rocks. The shoe comes in a shoe box with tough durable shoe laces.

      Field Information
      Location of testing: I have worn these hiking boots mostly in the Midwest in the during every one of the four seasons of the Midwest. I have found it works wonderfully in every kind of weather, is comfortable, and rarely causes blisters. I have hiked around 200 miles in these hiking boots and they still have almost the same support that they had when I first bought them.
      I will talk about some of my trips because they illustrate the qualities of these hiking boots very well. First of all when I bought these boots in 2007 I was switching from another pair of boots that were not GORE-TEX and I had worn those boots in the rain. When I was in the rain with those boots my feet were water logged and full of blisters. I bought the Northface Valence UltraTac GoreTex XCR boots and wore them in a 7 hour downpour while hiking up and down hills. My feet were dry for the first 5 hours until I hit some pretty deep puddles and I got one blister that was small. When I was done hiking for the day I laid my boots out in the tent to dry. I changed my socks the next morning and my boots were dry enough to hike again.
      I have also hiked about 100 miles in the summer during a week trip averaging about 15 miles a day and my feet were well ventilated in 80 plus degree temperatures. These boots are very versatile even to the point that I do wear them in the winter occaisionally to hike in the snow an they shed the snow really well. If I coupled them with gaiters they would perform close to pair of sorel boots.

      Things I like:
      1. Weight of Boots
      2. Waterproof/GORE-TEX ability to shed water
      3. Breathability in the summer
      4. Durability able to be taken on rough terrain
      5. Comfortable cuts down on blisters

      Things I don't like:
      1. Could have more tread on the bottom of the shoe
      2. I would like the high top version for stepping in puddles
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2010

        Edit Administration Manager