Re: [BackpackGearTest] repost - Marmot Power Stretch Pant - Nanci Paroubek

  • nanci Paroubek
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
      Here is the html upload to the test folder
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/owner%20review%20Marmot%20Power%20Stretch%20Pant/%c2%a0(tried to change the date but seems to revert, otherwise I think all changes made)

      MARMOT POWER STRETCH PANT
      BY NANCI  PAROUBEK
      OR
      March 1, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nanci Paroubek
      EMAIL: nhawkinsDOTwisewoman@...
      AGE: 43
      LOCATION: Rodman, New York USA
      GENDER: f
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.00 kg)

      I started backpacking over 20 years ago.  My husband and I backpacked and car camped often when we were younger.  Now we enjoy day hiking with our two kids and are getting back into backpacking because they're able to hike with us instead of on us.  Typically 1-3 day hikes, most often local. We hike three seasons in the Adirondacks - black fly, mosquito, and cold.  Most of our equipment comes from before I'd ever heard the term ultralight, but I have been known to cut down a toothbrush.  With the kids, space and weight has become more of an issue.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Marmot
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://marmot.com/" LINK TEXT = "Marmot Homepage">>
      MSRP: US$ 80
      Listed Weight: none
      Measured Weight: 7.3 oz (Women's medium) (207 g).
      Other details: Polartec Power Stretch fabric, 88% polyester, 12% elastane
      The Marmot Power Stretch Pants, hereafter referred to as the pants, or the Power Stretch pants, are a heavyweight tight style pant made of Polartec Power Stretch fabric which has four-way stretch.  My pants are black.  The inner surface has a soft, fleeced texture.  The outer surface is smooth, with flat-stitched seams, a tiny hidden pocket at the waist and a drawstring, which thus far I have never needed.  My pair are full length, but they are also available in a Capri length.  Women's sizes range from XS to XL.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "marmot power stretch pants">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "marmot pants"  IMAGE CAPTION = "The pants have a smooth waist, comfortable under a hipbelt">>

      FIELD USE

      Over the past year I have used these pants as a cold weather base layer for backpacking, hiking, occasional winter runs, and both cross-country and downhill skiing, primarily in northern New York and Vermont.  I'd estimate I've pulled them on over a hundred times.
      The hikes have been in the Adirondacks with temperatures down to 28 F (-2 C) with light snow.  I hiked with the Power Stretch pants under breathable nylon convertible pants.  For downhill skiing in Northern New York and in Vermont the temperatures dropped below -10 F (-23 C) and I skied in the Power Stretch pants under uninsulated, but wind and waterproof snowboarding pants.  I have not hiked in the Power Stretch pants alone, so I cannot give any estimate of abrasion resistance when bushwhacking.
      The longest single trip has been seven days without laundry facilities.  Two and three days has been more typical.  The pants have been tossed in the washer with a dark load, washed with liquid Tide, and machine dried on low.

      PERFORMANCE

      We don't winter camp, but fall camping in the Adirondacks means freezing temperatures, and I believe that downhill skiing gives a good test of the ability of a garment to move sweat while skiing and of cold weather insulation while sitting on the lift.  These are by far the warmest baselayer I've worn.  Below uninsulated, windproof snowboarding pants I could tell it was cold out when the temperature fell below 0 F (-17 C) but was not uncomfortable, and did not feel I needed another layer until below -10 F (-23 C).  For me these pants moved sweat well for stop and go activity.  I could not appreciate any build up of sweat despite a non-breathable overlayer.  I also found the four-way stretch of the fabric meant a snug but not pinching or binding fit.  I can't feel the seams while wearing the pants.  There is a little extra length which I can pull up, or roll up at the bottom, without creating an uncomfortable fold.
      As I stated, I did not test the fabric for abrasion resistance by hiking without a covering layer. Thus far I have seen no wear from frequent use under hiking and ski pants, and the fabric has not begun to sag at the waist, hip or knees. I felt the fabric held up well to prolonged (three to seven days for a given trip) use.  I did not note any build up of odor in the fabric.  The fleeced inner texture stayed soft and comfortable during multiday fall backpacking trips, and the fabric didn't bunch during backcountry cross-country skiing, or while sitting on the chairlift.  Repeated washing has not caused any visible change in the fabric.  The pants have come out of the washer smelling of detergent, rather than holding on to odors as some fabrics seem to.  I found the women's model to be well designed for female hips, and not just a smaller version of the men's version -which I bought for my husband after enjoying my own.

      SUMMARY

      Northern New York can be cold.  I tend to need more protection than others.  Even for me, these are warm enough to use alone for a cold weather run (20 F or -6 C) , and layer easily under a nylon pant for hiking.
      This is an extremely warm, comfortable pant.  I found them adaptable to many cold weather activities, and they've held up to frequent use and washing without sagging or visible pilling or wear.

      THINGS  I LIKE

      Warm, comfortable, women specific fit.  No bunching at knees, and flat waist fits smoothly under a packbelt, or when layered.  Have wicked sweat well for me.  Good warmth for the weight.  Have held up well to repeated washing and machine drying.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Price.  Not very compressible.  Not useful in warm weather.

      Signature

      Nanci Paroubek

      Copyright 2010.  All rights reserved.