EDIT: REVISED - OR - Osprey Atmos 35 (Fall 2006) - Leif LeBaron

  • a_henrichs
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2010
      Hi Lief,

      Your link did not work. Please post a working link to the html version.

      Thanks,

      Andy

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, mistlail <mistlail@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Frame
      > --------------------------
      >
      > The internal aluminum frame is strong enough for its intended purpose but it is vulnerable (don't sit on it!). My pack once became stuck in an airport x-ray machine and the conveyor belt compressed it with enough force to distort the aluminum frame.
      >
      > This prompted me to remove and disassemble the frame which consists of two bent aluminum tubes connected by two short titanium rods. I noticed that these rods were greased and that the grease had spread onto the fabric which is likely to cause long-term problems. I removed the grease and replaced its function by applying bushings of heat-shrink tubing (the kind used in electronics) to the ends of the rods (it fit perfectly).
      >
      > Finally, I bent the frame back into shape and subsequently decided to modify it to improve the geometry and increase the tension on the mesh back panel (which had over time become somewhat less than taut). During this process, I removed and replaced the frame several times. I am pleased that the frame is removable and I think it's an important point to note, as eventually it will very likely require adjustment. I have seen no mention of frame removal in Osprey's documentation but the procedure is evident. *Note: The frame on the 2009 Atmos is different and and apparently improved (though I expect it is similarly vulnerable and I don't know how easy it is to remove).*
      >
      > Air Travel
      > --------------------------
      >
      > Air travellers should note that the medium size conforms almost exactly to the upper limit of common carry-on luggage dimensions: 56 x 36 x 23 cm (22 x 14 x 9 in.). The large size exceeds this, but not by much.
      >

      > Summary
      > --------------------------
      >
      > I remain pleased with my Osprey Atmos pack and I recommend it. It's not ultralight but it is lightweight, ventilated and durable, ready to go cross country off the beaten trail, and carry on in the urban jungle. Osprey has revised the model at least twice, making some things better and others worse (as noted throughout the review).
      >
      > --- Good
      >
      > - excellent ventilation
      > - smooth profile (not easily caught on things)
      > - fits airline carry-on dimensions
      > - panel loading
      > {.compact}
      >
      > --- Bad
      >
      > - weight (it's lighter than most but it could be lighter still)
      > - hip belt is somewhat restrictive
      > - frame is vulnerable to being bent out of shape
      > - shoulder straps could be more comfortable
      > {.compact}
      >
      > ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: {style="margin: 0 3em"} :::

    • mistlail
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 4, 2010
        > Your link did not work. Please post a working link to the html version.

        Sorry, I changed the title and forgot to update the link.

        http://tinyurl.com/yjlw22s
      • a_henrichs
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
          Hi Lief,

          I have some more edits for you. Nothing too significant, just some minor ones. When they are corrected, please repost your new version with a new html link. Please include the link in the same post as the text version.

          Thanks,

          Andy

          EDIT: It would be helpful to include your torso length. Along the same lines, please include sizes available and their corresponding torso lengths (as stated by Osprey).

          > **18 Dec 2009**
          EDIT: update the date

          The fabric is waterproof...
          Edit: Are you talking about the doubled fabric or the fabric of the entire pack?

          > Having grown accustomed to the excellent range of motion in the "floating" hip belts of Arc'teryx packs
          Comment: Direct comparisons to other manufacturers are discouraged. If someone hasn't used an Arc'teryx pack, this hipbelt comparison doesn't help much. Switching "Arc'Teryx" to a more generic term may be best.

          >I found the Atmos hip belt to be somewhat restrictive but also more comfortable and ergonomic than many other packs which I've used.
          Edit: Can you expand on this?

          > but I it has endured since I repaired it with stronger thread and a more resilient stitch pattern.
          EDIT: remove the first "I"

          > I noticed that these rods were greased and that the grease had spread onto the fabric which is likely to cause long-term problems.
          EDIT: Avoid making any suppositions as to potential problems. Just review based on your experiences, not what you think may happen.

          > (though I expect it is similarly vulnerable and I don't know how easy it is to remove).
          EDIT: Just like the above edit, don't base review information on suppositions.
        • mistlail
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 7, 2010
            Hi Andy,

            Thanks for your edits.

            Leif

            http://tinyurl.com/yjlw22s

            ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
            ===========================
            Osprey Atmos 35 (Fall 2006)
            ===========================

            An innovative 35 L backpack with excellent ventilation.

            **7 Feb 2010**

            Reviewer
            ====================

            ---------+ +---------------------------
            Name: Leif LeBaron
            Age: 37
            Gender: Male
            Height: 183 cm (6')
            Weight: 70 kg (155 lb)
            Home: West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
            {cellpadding="3%"}

            ----------------+ +--------------------
[...]

            The construction is excellent. Stitching is strong and binding tape covers all seams. The fabric is light but it has endured significant stress without fail; the bottom panel of the pack has two layers. The fabric is also waterproof (the inner surface coated with urethane) but the seams are not sealed. I kept mine dry under a poncho; however, on several occasions the pack was splashed by rogue waves and endured mist and sporadic drizzle without significant leakage.

            Panel Loading
            --------------------------

            My Atmos is a panel loader. The main compartment has two large zippers which caused me no trouble and I found the contents to be very accessible. This was especially useful when conditions prevented the unloading of pack contents (i.e., for lack of a clean and dry place to put them); something which is difficult if not impossible with a top-loading pack.

            The zippers run down each side, not all the way to the bottom but low enough that contents can be accessed without unpacking. *Note: Newer models have shorter zippers, effectively making the pack panel-loading at the top and top-loading at the bottom.*

            Fit
            --------------------------

            Following Osprey's instructions, my torso length is 50 cm. I tried the large (51--57 cm) but I chose the medium (46--52 cm) even though it feels a bit short. I prefer it because it's smaller and the bottom rides high enough (with the shoulder straps sufficiently tightened) that I can run and enjoy greater freedom of movement without irritating my gluteal muscles.

            Having grown accustomed to the excellent range of motion in a "floating" hip belt (which enables the pelvis to tilt and pitch freely), I found the Atmos hip belt to be relatively restrictive (mostly around the coronal axis) but also more comfortable and ergonomic than many other packs which I've used. In practice, however, I usually carry a light load and often leave the hip belt unfastened.

            I appreciate the straps on the hip belt which slide freely through the attachment to each piece of the buckle and run back to the friction lock on the pad. This V-shaped arrangement spreads the force across the pad, so it cups the iliac crest of the pelvis rather than concentrating the force in a narrower band. It also means the straps are tightened by pulling in the opposite (and more comfortable) direction, as though one were pushing something forward and away from one's waist.

            The ventilated shoulder straps were mostly comfortable, though perhaps riding a little too wide on my shoulders (which was only a problem if the chest strap was open). The stub at the lower end of the shoulder pad (where the lower strap is attached) protruded enough to press on my side causing some irritation during extended hikes; I think that detail could be improved. *Note: The shoulder strap stub remains essentially unchanged on newer models.*

            I'm pleased that the pack is narrower than my own torso, making passage through narrow openings easier, and also enabling my arms to swing naturally without interference.

            Pockets & Straps
            --------------------------

            There is one zippered pocket inside the pack. It is quite small but well designed, accessible from both inside and outside, with mesh fabric on the inner surface for visibility of contents, and a key clip. The outer zipper is urethane-coated for water resistance.

            The hip belt has a zippered mesh pocket on each side. I found these to be quite useful for carrying energy bars and other small items for frequent access.

            There is a large outer back pocket made of elastic fabric. The design includes a folded lip which helps keep things from escaping. The lip is also attached to a compression strap which connects to the top of the pack, running over the zipper of the small inner pocket. This appears to be a possible nuisance but I like it, especially because the long compression strap provides a place to put a frequently used jacket or the like. *Note: Newer models have a much shorter strap which attaches below the zipper.* The stitching failed along the lip of the elastic pocket (not surprising considering that the thread was not elastic) but it has endured since I repaired it with stronger thread and a more resilient stitch pattern.

[...]

            I developed a great appreciation for the pack's smooth, rounded profile which allowed me to duck under branches and drop over ledges and logs with greater ease than any other pack I've used. The pack also performed well at shedding branches and other potential snags as I burrowed through bush. These features are especially important to me as I often explore wilderness with dense vegetation. *Note: To date, all newer models of the Atmos 35 have a more conventional angular, protruding profile on the top.*

            It does bulge in the back but I only found that to be an occasional problem in urban environments. This humpiness is partly related to the frame which maintains a ventilation space behind the back. This space appears to be perhaps too large when looking at it but it is reduced when the pack is actually worn.

            Frame
            --------------------------

            The internal aluminum frame is strong enough for its intended purpose but it is vulnerable (don't sit on it!). My pack once became stuck in an airport x-ray machine and the conveyor belt compressed it with enough force to distort the aluminum frame.

            This prompted me to remove and disassemble the frame which consists of two bent aluminum tubes connected by two short titanium rods. I noticed that these rods were greased and that the grease had spread onto the fabric which prompted me to preempt potential problems. I removed the grease and replaced its function by applying bushings of heat-shrink tubing (the kind used in electronics) to the ends of the rods; it fit perfectly.

            Finally, I bent the frame back into shape and subsequently decided to modify the shape to improve the geometry and increase the tension on the mesh back panel (which had over time become somewhat less than taut). During this process, I removed and replaced the frame several times. I am pleased that the frame is removable and I think it's an important point to note. I have seen no mention of frame removal in Osprey's documentation but the procedure is evident. *Note: The frame on the 2009 Atmos is different and somewhat improved (though it is similarly vulnerable and I don't know how easy it is to remove).*

            Air Travel
            --------------------------

            Air travellers should note that the medium size conforms almost exactly to the limit for common carry-on luggage dimensions: 56 x 36 x 23 cm (22 x 14 x 9 in.). The large size exceeds this, but not by much.

            Summary
            --------------------------

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
              Hi Leif,

              Nice report! I am happy to inform you that everything looks good and you have been approved to upload the file. Once you log in to the BGT website, upload it at http://tinyurl.com/yaqhohq. Please be sure to delete your test html file. Finally, get started on your 2nd OR so you can begin testing!

              Thanks,

              Andy
            • mistlail
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
                Hi Andy,

                File is uploaded but I notice it has a separate category "Osprey Atmos - Fall 2006 Model" and I think it should be merged with the existing "Osprey Atmos 35" category. In any case, it seems ambiguous to omit "35" from the category name.

                http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/mfr_reviews/Osprey

                Leif
              • mistlail
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 13, 2010
                  And I noticed yet another category "Osprey Packs Atmos 35" with three reviews.

                  I'd suggest substituting "Osprey" for "Osprey Packs" in all categories.

                  Leif