REPOST: Owner Review - Tim Earley - Marmot Glide Softshell Gloves

  • Tim Earley
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
      Hey Ray,
      Thanks for the edits. I've made the requested changes below and
      uploaded an html version
      here<http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Tim%20Earley%20Marmot%20Glide%20Softshell%20Glove%20OR/>
      .

      Please let me know if you need anything else,
      Thanks!
      Tim

      Marmot Men's Glide Softshell Gloves
      Owner Review
      Tim Earley
      January 20th, 2010

      Tester Information:
      Name: Tim Earley
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0"/ 1.80 m
      Weight: 185 lb/ 84 kg
      Email address: timothy.earley AT gmail.com
      City, State, Country: Yonkers, New York, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      My first exposure to backpacking was about seven years ago in the Army where
      I learned everything I needed to learn about being comfortable in the
      wilderness with little to no “comfort gear.” I primarily do day hikes now,
      with the occasional overnight jaunt thrown in whenever possible. I consider
      myself a lightweight packer, though not a minimalist. My favorite hikes are
      those that have significant elevation change as these provide the best
      views, most challenge and best reward. I am most comfortable in cool to
      cold weather as I tend to overheat in other seasons.

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Marmot Mountain
      Model: Glide Softshell Glove
      Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, X-Large; Medium reviewed
      Colors: Black, Raven
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Listed weight: N/A
      Measured weight:
      Fabric Content: 88% Nylon, 12% Elastane; Marmot M2 softshell
      MSRP: $50.00
      Country of Manufacture: China

      Product Description:
      The Marmot Glide Softshell Gloves are, not surprisingly, softshell gloves
      made by Marmot! The gloves are described by Marmot as water repellent, wind
      resistant, breathable and warm. They are made of a lightweight nylon
      softshell material that provides good warmth and great breathability while
      on the move and enough tactility to be useful as work gloves when not
      moving. The gloves feature hook and loop wrist closures (with material to
      keep wind out when closure is open), patches of silicon on the point and
      middle finger tips as well as the thumb, and a slim but not constricting
      fit. These patches of silicon have proven very effective in adding
      tactility and dexterity to these gloves. The gloves do stretch some, but
      are not in the same league as Lycra. There is also some stitching about one
      inch (2.5 cm) inward (towards the fingers) from the hook and loop wrist
      closure that acts as a draft collar to keep out snow and cold winds.

      [image: View of silicon patches and strip on palm][image: Hook and loop
      undone to show underlying material]
      View of silicon patches on fingers and palm
      Hook and loop undone showing wind flap

      Field Conditions:
      I have used these gloves in temperatures ranging from 0 F (-18 C) to 40 F (5
      C). I've worn them on about ten separate day trips of about 7 to 8 hours
      each and 2 overnight trips. They have seen prolonged moderate rain, dry and
      wet snow and sustained 50 mph (80 km/h) winds. They have proven to be
      impervious to all but prolonged rain and are surprisingly warm and
      windproof, especially when moving.

      Initial Impressions:
      I was looking for a good pair of softshell gloves to give me a balance of
      warmth, breathability, tactility, and weather resistance while on the move
      in cold weather. These gloves hit the mark. They seemed very well made and
      the softshell material looked like it would shed weather effectively. I was
      also impressed as the seams are placed such that they do not irritate my
      fingers. Some gloves have the seams in the worst places and can irritate
      the fingertips, palm, wrist, etc. The people at Marmot did a great job
      keeping the seams out of the way. I was interested in the effectiveness of
      the silicon patches on the fingertips and so took some money and credit
      cards out of my wallet with the gloves on (in hindsight, I probably looked
      pretty shady doing this in the store). I was able to do this with no
      problem and so was completely sold on the idea. I initially tried on a size
      large since I wear a large in just about every piece of clothing (including
      gloves) but found them a bit loose. It is important to remember I bought
      these gloves for tactility as well as warmth and so wanted them a little
      tighter than say, ski gloves. I bought the size medium and they fit
      perfectly for my intended use.

      Owner Review

      Review:
      Overall I think the gloves are great. As expected, they have shed all
      weather well. I have been especially impressed with their wind resistance.
      I took a day hike in December 2009 in weather with an ambient temperature of
      about 7 F (-14 C) with sustained winds of 35 mph (56 km/h) with gusts at 50
      mph (80 km/h). Hey, you can't test wind resistance without wind! Plus I
      wanted to test out a new jacket I bought. These gloves absolutely blew me
      away with their wind resistance. I didn't feel the wind at all and my
      fingers were toasty warm the entire day. They provided plenty of
      breathability along with all this warmth and so my fingers and hands always
      felt just right.

      On the downside, the water-repellency of these gloves is mediocre. They
      will shed light to moderate rain but will absorb water if they come into
      contact with wet surfaces. On a hike in about 40 F (4 C) rainy weather,
      they completely soaked through in about 35 to 40 minutes. I was using rocks
      as handholds while scrambling and was pretty careful to limit my contact
      with the wet surfaces. The glove still soaked through in all areas. While
      I expected to get my gloves damp, I did not expect these gloves to soak
      through so quickly. They aren't sponges, but be aware that they do absorb
      significant amounts of water from surface contact. However, as stated
      previously, they do shed precipitation well.

      The durability of these gloves has proven to be good although I have noticed
      a small amount of pilling in the fingertips without silicon patches. I do
      not think it is anything significant, just a result of them being scraped on
      rocks during some trips. There do not seem to be any seams coming undone or
      areas of significant wear and tear. The hook and loop wrist closures are
      holding up well and show no signs of decreased performance. I have noticed
      that the index finger of the right gloves has twisted so the silicon patch
      is now facing towards the thumb. This is a minor annoyance and nothing
      more.

      [image: Almost imperceptible pilling on index finger]
      View of pilling on index finger
      [image: Twisted index finger]
      View of twisted index finger
      gloves. They provide all the warmth I need when on the move in cold
      weather. They also provide enough dexterity that I can do pretty much
      anything short of using a Ziploc bag with them on. They shed precipitation
      well and absolutely stonewall the wind while stretching just enough to be
      comfortable the whole time.

      I am pleased with the performance of these gloves, especially for their more
      than reasonable price tag. I will continue to use them in all situations
      where waterproof/breathable gloves or mittens would be too heavy.

      The Good:
      1. Dexterity
      2. Wind-resistance
      3. Great overall fit and attention to detail.

      The Bad:
      1. Absorb water through surface contact

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2010
        Hi Tim,

        I got back a day early, too much weather.

        This looks pretty good but you have a problem with one of your pictures not being where the caption is. See if you can fix that and put it back in the Test Folder for me to look at. (Just delete the first one before you place the new one in.)

        If it looks OK I shall give you a permanent home for it.

        Ray
      • Tim Earley
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2010
          Hey Ray,
          I took a look and couldn't see exactly what you meant. But I tried
          reorganizing the pictures and re-uploading the file. Please let me know if
          the problem is fixed.
          Thanks!
          Tim

          Here's the link

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2010
            Hi Tim,

            I am sorry. I was working on a laptop at my Dads on Sunday and was getting the stacking. It looks fine on my office computer.

            You may delete that test version and place your review at:

            Reviews > Clothing > Gloves > Marmot Glide Softshell Gloves

            Or: http://tinyurl.com/ybkypkb

            Sign in and go to that location and follow the directions to upload. Make sure to hit the Owner Review button.

            Good job, now go get busy on number two!

            Ray
          • Tim Earley
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 10, 2010
              Hey Ray,
              I've uploaded to the url assigned and have deleted the test
              file. FYI, I uploaded it twice because I uploaded the wrong version
              first, deleted it, then uploaded the correct one.
              Thanks for the help!
              Tim

              PS. "Now get on to your second!"....Come on Ray, that's my third! ;)
            • Ray
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 2010
                > PS. "Now get on to your second!"....Come on Ray, that's my third! ;)

                I am sorry Tim, I have been so busy it is hard just getting these in. I should have researched it a bit.

                Well good job then. Go test some gear! ;-)