OR - Light My Fire Spork - Chad Poindexter

  • Stick
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4 1:35 PM
      Here is another OR. The text will follow and the HTML version is here:

      Light My Fire Spork <http://tinyurl.com/yh6lldq>

      Thanks for the time and edits,
      Chad Poindexter
      "Stick"

      LIGHT MY FIRE SPORK
      BY CHAD POINDEXTER
      OR
      February 04, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Chad Poindexter
      EMAIL: cg-77 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com
      AGE: 32
      LOCATION: Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 200 lb (90.70 kg)

      I am a fairly new hiker and have hiked in the Great Smoky Mountains
      National Park, on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, and at a few state
      parks in Mississippi, Tennessee, and Alabama. I have obtained some heavy
      gear, but dream of going light. I love my tent and appreciate a warm
      drink in the morning, as well as a warm meal at night. Since I'm still
      new my distance is around 10 mi (16 km) or less per day, depending on
      terrain. I usually hike with my fiancée or my son but wouldn't mind a
      solo hike.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Manufacturer: Light My Fire
      Year of Purchase: 2009
      "http://lightmyfireusa.com/index.html" LINK TEXT =
      "ww.lightmyfire.com">>
      MSRP: N / A
      Listed Weight: .28 oz (8 g) ~ Verified Accurate
      Measured Length: 6.9 in (17.5 cm)
      Used As: Spoon, Fork, and Knife
      Other details: Available in 19 civilized colors as well as Titanium
      The Light My Fire spork (hereafter referred to as the "spork") is a
      multipurpose fork-spoon-knife combo that is available in PC
      (polycarbonate) or BPA (Bisphenol-A) free Tritan. The spork is heat
      resistant, Teflon-friendly, very durable and can be machine washed. The
      spork consist of a spoon on one end and a fork with four tines on the
      other end. One of the outer tines of the fork has a serrated edge that
      makes up the knife. There is a Light My Fire imprint as well as the log
      imprinted on one side of the spork.

      FIELD USE

      I purchased two of these sporks about 10 moths ago and have carried them
      and used them both for 15+ days (my fiancée or my son uses the 2nd
      one). I have used them in temperatures as low as 10 F (-12 C) and as
      high as 90 F (32 C). I have taken the sporks out on long day hikes,
      overnight trips, and so far as many as 5 days out at a time.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Making grits
      and Oatmeal">>I mainly just boil water for my meals now, but I have used
      the sporks to stir macaroni and cheese, cheesy rice, and red beans and
      rice while cooking in my 1.8 L (1.9 qt) GSI Dualist pot, as well as just
      a few different Mountain House meals. I also use it for stirring things
      such as cocoa or coffee just after pouring boiling water in my cup. I
      was very happy though that the sporks were very gentle on the pots while
      stirring. Not once did the sporks cause any damage to the inside of my
      pot.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "My son eating
      breakfast">>
      I usually wrap the sporks in a small Ziploc bag to carry with me since
      they don't fit inside my cook set so I try and place them in my backpack
      where they won't get damaged, however, just in general I have to wonder
      if they haven't seen some abuse while in my backpack. I have caught
      myself stepping on one of them while I was walking around after I had
      laid my stuff out. I did not put my full weight on it since my
      fiancée caught me in time, but it was still close. The spork suffered
      no traumatic injuries, and I was still able to consume my food while
      using it after this incident. The spork recovered 100%! (Not that it was
      damaged in any way).

      Now I freezer bag cook so I find myself eating from freezer bags instead
      of bowls (saves on the clean up). I have been eating a lot of Ramen
      noodles and grits or oatmeal now so I have to have both a fork and a
      spoon. The spoon works very well while eating things such as the grits
      and oatmeal, and the fork does a pretty good job with the noodles. The
      tines on the spork are a little shorter than the normal forks that I am
      used to using, but I am still able to use it with a large amount of
      success.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>I have noticed that while
      digging down into the bottom of my Ziploc bag to get those last few
      noodles two things happen. (1) Unless the bag is rolled down it can be
      difficult to reach the bottom. However if the bag is rolled down to much
      the bag can become a little messy. (2) Also, as the steam from the food
      hits the spork the spork will tend to get a little slippery. I'm not
      saying that I lose my grip on it and it flies from my hand, but I do
      have to just hold on a little better.

      Clean up with these sporks is a cinch. Not much really sticks to them so
      all I really do is wipe them off and they are clean. On a trip I just
      took there was a lot of snow around, so I just walked over and grabbed
      some snow and rubbed the spork down, instant clean! I do try to make
      sure they are dry before putting them back into my Ziploc just so the
      inside of the Ziploc doesn't become a mess.

      SUMMARY

      I have come to like the Light My Fire sporks. They are not ready to
      replace my regular fork and spoon that I use at home, but for my
      backpacking trips I am pleased to have them! And even tough I do use a
      knife at home, I haven't needed to use the knife that is on the spork in
      the field yet, for eating or anything else.

      GOOD ENOUGH

      I can use them to eat with, and they work.
      Light weight.
      Durable.
      Cleans up easy.

      NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

      Can be short at times.
      Can be slippery at times.
      Don't need the knife.

      SIGNATURE

      Chad Poindexter
      "Stick"

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5 8:20 PM

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 14 3:56 PM
          Hi again Chad,

          Here are another set of edits for you. Keep this pace of reviewing up for a few years you may just catch up to another prolific reviewer…

          Once your edits are made you can upload to:

          Reviews > Cook Gear > Utensils > Light My Fire Spork
          Or: http://tinyurl.com/2z2ydt

          See you down the trail,

          Ray

          *** The spork consist of a spoon on one end and a fork with four tines on the other end.

          EDIT: consists

          *** There is a Light My Fire imprint as well as the log imprinted on one side of the spork.

          EDIT: as well as the "logo"

          ***I purchased two of these sporks about 10 moths ago

          EDIT: months

          *** I have taken the sporks out on long day hikes,

          EDIT: day-hikes

          *** overnight trips, and so far as many as 5 days out at a time.

          EDIT: I would reword this to, and on trips of up to 5 days duration

          *** And even tough I do use a knife at home,

          EDIT: even "though"
        • Stick
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14 6:17 PM
            Ray,

            You really are cranking them out!

            Thanks for all the edits. It's funny, looking back at all the simple mistakes, can't believe I missed this stuff. Maybe Ill get it eventually! In time, and with lots of edits (I'm sure...)....
            Thanks for all your time and efforts though. The corrected reviews have been uploaded to their proper homes now.

            That's nice with the kids. I'm hoping to get my nephew out with me and my son this summer. My son has been enjoying his sleeping bag and his Z-Rest (We slept inside on the floor last night. I just got my synmat in the mail and I've been loving it, even if it is inside!)

            Anyway, thanks for everything.

            Chad