OWNER REVIEW - (sony cyber shot dsc-s650 digital camera)

  • branson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2010
      Owner Review of the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-S650 7.2 Mega pixel Digital Camera

      Name:  Branson Langley
      Age:  28
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  5’ 10” (1.8M)
      Weight:  200  (91Kg)
      Email:  brass_eagle_2000@...
      City, State, Country:  Staley, NC, USA
      Date:  2/3/2010
      Backpacking Background:  I started camping and hiking as a kid and loved the outdoors.  I am starting to backpack local places in NC and weekends in the woods behind the house.  Nothing to strenuous, no 50 milers or anything like that…yet. My wife camps and hikes with me and I hope to get her backpacking in the future.

      Manufacturer:      Sony
      Link:            www.sony.com
      Manufacture year:     2007
      MSRP:         Not sure, I picked it up for about $80US
      Mega pixel:         7.2
      Size:             Listed as 3-9/16" x 2-3/8" x 1-1/16" (91 x 61 x 26.5 mm)
      Weight:         Listed as 6.2 oz with card and battery but I weighed it at 7oz
      CCD:             1-2.5” Super HAD
      Zoom:             optical 3x---digital 6x
      Media:          24mb internal, uses memory stick Duo and Pro Duo cards
      LCD:             2” with no viewfinder

      Features:  This camera has a movie camera mode that is pretty good for computer viewing. It shoots in 320 x 240 frame size with up to 30frames per second.  It has burst mode that will shoot 3 pictures at 1 or 2 second intervals depend on settings.  It has a small internal storage of 24mb.  It has several shooting modes-Auto and Scene Selections for Landscape, Snow, Beach and a few others.

      What I was looking for:  I was looking for a camera that was small and light weight.  We had a bulky higher end camera that was a pain to take on trips.  This looked like a camera that could be easily packed into areas with nice photo opportunities.  The shooting modes also caught my attention.  To tell the truth the after Thanksgiving Day sale price really caught my eye.

      Environment:  I have used this camera on several day hikes at various parks.  We have also took this camera on rainy camping trips, but we kept it out of the weather.  I have took pictures at the beach, on fishing trips, at work, in the snow, and lots of other areas.  No noticeable reaction to weather conditions and temperature ranges.

      Performance:  It has an automatic lens cover which is a great feature. The zoom is pretty good, but I have never used the digital zoom.  Sometimes the digital zoom on a camera can make the pictures look grainy.  It has a timer that can be set for two or ten seconds.  The main menu is a little cluttered when trying to access the more complex settings, but the main settings are pretty simple to access.  Deleting pictures is real easy with a delete button.  There is a macro button to take very detailed up close pictures.  The modes are easily changed with a selector wheel.  I usually take pictures with the special modes and again with the auto mode just to make sure I will have a nice picture.  It has a wrist strap and also a tripod socket.  When the battery meter gets low then it has a tendency to just cut off with little warning.

      Likes:
      Reasonably small and pretty durable
      PRO Duo cards are small and very light less than an ounce, I think
      Takes nice pictures even though it has a low optical zoom
      Basic controls and functions are easily accessed.

      Dislikes:
      Menu is cluttered
      Pro duo cards are a little more expensive than simple SD cards
      Takes a lot of battery power

      Overall it is a good camera especially for the price.  No memory card is included with this camera.  Just make sure you have extra batteries and cards.  And above all get outside and take some pictures and make some memories.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2010
        Hi Branson and welcome to BackpackGearTest.org

        Thank you for your Owner Reviews and your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now both reviews are lacking in some areas and cannot be accepted for editing at this time. It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. At this point I would strongly recommend you take a look at our Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line.

        We certainly hope you will give it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

        Edit Administration Manager