Owner Review: Eagles Nest Outfitters Doublenest Hammock - Jon Moehring

  • Sta
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      Owner Review: EAGLES NEST OUTFITTERS DOUBLENEST HAMMOCK
      BY JON MOEHRING
      OR
      February 01, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jon Moehring
      EMAIL: stanleyshields@...
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Portland, OR
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 8" (2.03 m)
      WEIGHT: 250 lb (113.00 kg)

      I started backpacking last year and have gotten hooked. I started with a couple day hikes and one-night excursions, and have recently been working up to 2 or 3 day trips. I like hiking on the Oregon Coast and in the Central Cascades during the summer.

      Eagles Nest Outfitters Doublenest Hammoc

      Manufacturer: Eagles Nest Outfitters
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/double-nest-hammock.html
      MSRP: $64.95
      Listed Weight: 22 oz (624g)
      Measured Weight:
      Other details: 6'8" X 9'10" (2.03 m X 3 m)

      FIELD USE

      I have used the Eagles Nest Doublenest hammock on three hiking trips ranging from day trips to a two night trip in the Mount Jefferson wilderness. I used the hammock in conjunction with the Slap Straps from Eagles Nest Outfitters. The Doublenest has an attached stuff sack built into the side of the hammock and I found it easy to remove the hammock and stuff it back in. It compresses to a small size (a little larger than a softball) and is fairly lightweight. With the Slap Straps, it was very easy to set up the hammock between any two trees that were between 10-20 feet apart. From start to finish, the entire set up process takes less than 2 minutes. I found this extremely helpful after long day hiking when all I wanted to do was get off my feet and relax. The hammock is rated for up to 400 lbs (181 kg) and has seemed strong and sturdy with no signs of wear or tear yet. The nylon material is very cool and breathable. I found this nice during the days when it was warm, but it got a little chilly in the evenings.

      My first experience with the Doublenest hammock was in the Mount Jefferson wilderness. I used the hammock to relax in during the day and evening, but I did not sleep in it. I found it too cold to do so on this particular evening as temperatures dropped into the low 40's (4.44 celcius). Because the fabric is breatheable, to use this hammock in colder temperatures, I recommend using a closed-cell foam sleeping pad underneath to block the cold and help with insulation.

      My second trip out with the Doublenest was once again in the Mount Jefferson wilderness and this time I came prepared. I used a closed-cell foam pad and a 30 degree sleeping bag. I was plenty warm throughout the night and slept well. The hammock held up great and was very comfortable and roomy.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I love the ENO Doublenest hammock and have enjoyed it on all my hikes. I bring it with me on day hikes and overnight trips as well. It compresses very small and is relatively lightweight, so it can be brought anywhere. At the end of a long hike, it's relaxing swing is a welcomed feeling. The Doublenest shows no sign of wear or tear on any parts of the nylon or ropes. The carabiners at the ends of the Hammock still lock tight and work great. I recommend this hammock to anyone who is looking for a reliable, affordable, and easy to set up hammock.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Affordable: It is priced very competitively with other similar brands.

      Reliable: It is rated for 400 lbs (184 kg) and has been durable.

      Packs small: As I mentioned, it packs to almost the size of a softball.

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Can be cool when the temperatures drop into the low 40's (~4 celcius).

      SIGNATURE

      Jon Moehring
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2010
        Welcome to BackpackGearTest Jon.

        Thank you for your Owner Review and your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now you have not used this piece of gear enough nights to meet our minimum use requirements. Please keep your review, get several more nights in the hammock and then add what you have learned to your review. In the mean time, please consider using a simpler item that you have more extensive field experience with for your first OR.
        It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. If you feel this describes you, I recommend these two very helpful options:

        1) Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s). If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can request a mentor by sending an email to Mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line.

        2) Take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below). In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

        Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

        Edit Administration Manager