EDIT: Owner Review - BearVault V500 - Michael Dax

  • sophie_pearson
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1 11:24 AM
      Hi Michael,
      Welcome to backpackgeartest, you are off to a great start!

      I use the standard format for edits -
      EDIT: must change
      Edit: suggested change, it's up to you
      Comment: something to think about

      After revising, please repost to this list, with "Repost" added to the title.

      You can also put an HTML copy in the Owner Review Test Folder, and include a
      link to it in your repost. After logging in to the main site, the folder is
      found at the end of the list of reviews on the main page, or here;
      http://tinyurl.com/4mfwa

      The free BGT Report Writer for HTML creation may be found here;
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=RR&page=1

      If you need any help with your upload, please ask in our Yahoo!
      support group, BGTFileUploadHelp at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BGTFileUploadHelp/?yguid=209560176

      Cheers,
      Sophie

      ****Height: 6'3"
      EDIT: You need to convert measurements to metric units as well for our international readers. This is true throughout your report, with heights, weights, distances etc.

      ****Email Address: mjdax30@...
      Edit: We recommend spelling this out because of spam. mjdax30 at whatever dot com

      ****The BearVault V500 is 700 cubic inches and roughly 13 inches
      tall by 8 inches in diameter.
      EDIT: You need conversions here. Also, are these your measurements? We like to have comparisons between the listed dimensions and your measured ones, as you did with the weight.

      ****did a day trip down the creek on our second
      day.. Our elevation was between 7400 feet
      and 2500. The terrain was rough, but
      because of the dependable weather, our packs were light at around thirty
      pounds.
      EDIT: Conversions to metric again. Also you have an extra period after 'second day'

      ****that it was safe from mice without having to take time consuming precautions or
      EDIT: time-consuming

      ****My friend and I both carried a BearVault V500 while my girlfriend
      carried the Garcia canister).
      EDIT: As you are reviewing the BearVault, it is policy not to compare with another brand by name. Something along the lines of 'while my girlfriend carried a different canister'.

      ****I do not think a single bear attempted to get into our canisters
      EDIT: Need a period after canisters.

      ****It had a couple benefits it had over the Garcia
      canister.
      EDIT: As I mentioned above, it is better not to mention other brands by name. Something like 'It had a couple of benefits over other canisters on the market'

      Finally, on a long trip like the JMT
      Edit: You mention John Muir Trail earlier, but it is hard to put the two together. It would be better to either spell out the full name, or put JMT in parenthesis after the first mention.

      ****Bear canisters are a necessary evil. They are heavy and the take up a lot of
      space, but when you need them, you need them.
      EDIT: We require a summary section. You did a really nice summary, so just adding the subtitle 'Summary' to it would be fine. A list of likes and dislikes is also nice for people who are reading the report quickly, but we don't require it so it's up to you.
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1 11:50 AM
        Actually, we have excellent spam protection. We've never, to my knowledge,
        recommended spelling out the email address.

        I've never done it and I don't remember getting any spam as a result.

        Jerry

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/: the most comprehensive interactive gear
        reviews on the planet.

        Edit: We recommend spelling this out because of spam. mjdax30 at whatever
        dot com

        database 4824 (20100201) __________

        http://www.eset.com
      • sophie_pearson
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1 12:20 PM
          Sorry, my mistake. I thought someone told me to do that, but guess I was wrong. I have had my email address grabbed from a website before which is what makes me over-cautious, but it wasn't BGT.
          Sorry again,
          Sophie

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

          > Actually, we have excellent spam protection. We've never, to my knowledge,
          > recommended spelling out the email address.
          >
          > I've never done it and I don't remember getting any spam as a result.
          >
          > Jerry
          >
          > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/: the most comprehensive interactive gear
          > reviews on the planet.

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2010
            SOPHIE - Michael Dax(1) - BearVault V500 - Posted Jan 12(msg#78676), Taken Feb 1, Edit Feb 1(78752), Repost Feb 1, Edit Feb 11(78809), Repost Feb 14, Edit Feb 19(78847), Follow up Mar 5,

            Hi Michael,
            Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Sophie back on Feb 19. Please refer to message number 78847 at

            Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your editor and update the queue.

            Edit Administration Manager
          • sophie_pearson
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6, 2010
              Hi Jamie,
              Just to let you know that Michael and I have been working on some html issues with his images. Hopefully it is pretty much sorted and then he will be able to upload!
              Cheers,
              Sophie

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 10, 2010
                Hi Michael,
                Below you will find your edits. I'm not sure if you updated and uploaded a slightly older version, because some of these edits I think you had corrected in your repost but they are back again now?
                They take the normal format:
                EDIT: must change
                Edit: suggested change
                Comment: Just that!

                I'm glad we managed to figure out the images, they look good!
                Cheers,
                Sophie

                2/11/10
                ****EDIT: The date needs updating to now.

                Product
                ****Edit: This is a slightly different size and font than other headings.
                Comment: We normally use the title Product Information or something along those lines, a little more descriptive.

                However, he neglected to remember to put his snacks for that day in the top of his pack and had to go into the canister which was at the bottom of his pack throughout the day each time he wanted food, but because the canister was transparent, he could easily find the particular food object he was looking for each time.
                ****Edit: This is a really long sentence! Could you split it up into 2, perhaps '...each time he wanted food. Because the canister was transparent, he could easily find the particular food object he was looking for each time though.'
                Comment: Could he not have taken the food out after the first time though?!!

                The BV500 has a couple benefits over other canisters.
                ****EDIT: couple 'of' benefits

                I took a slightly largely load than my girlfriend.
                ****EDIT: 'larger'

                matches, ID, credit card and extra batteries.
                ****Edit: I think 'credit cards' would read better

                but when backcountry regulations require them, you don’t really have another choice
                ****EDIT: 'you' is projection. Please rephrase to something like 'there really is no other choice'

                Easy Open
                ****EDIT: Open shouldn't be capitalized. The same goes for the other likes and dislikes too, only the first word needs to be capitalized.
              • Michael Dax
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 19, 2010
                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/Owner%20Review%20-%20BearVault%20BV500%20-%20Michael%20Dax/

                  *BearVault BV500 *

                  *By Michael Dax*

                  *Owner Review*

                  *2/11/10***

                  * *

                  * *

                  *Tester Information*

                  * *

                  NAME: Michael Dax

                  AGE: 23

                  GENDER: Male

                  HEIGHT: 6�3�� (1.9 meters)

                  WEIGHT: 210 lbs. (95 kg)

                  EMAIL ADDRESS: mjdax30@...

                  CITY, STATE: Old Faithful, Wyoming (Yellowstone National Park)

                  I grew up hiking, backpacking, and cross country skiing in the Northeast
                  including New York, New Hampshire and Maine. For a short while I lived at
                  the Grand Canyon and I now live in Yellowstone. I am not fanatical about
                  light weight hiking, but I am starting to be more mindful of my gear.

                  * *

                  *Product Information*

                  MANUFACTURER: BearVault

                  MANUFACTURER�S WEBSITE: www.bearvault.com

                  PRODUCT: BearVault BV500

                  YEAR OF MANUFACTURE: 2007

                  LISTED WEIGHT: 41 oz. (1.1 kg)

                  ACTUAL WEIGHT: 41 oz. (1.1 kg)

                  LISTED DIMENSIONS: 12.7 x 8.7 in. (32 x 19
                  cm)

                  ACTUAL DIMENSIONS: 13 x 8.5 in. (33 x 19 cm)

                  MSRP: N/A

                  * *

                  * *

                  *Product Description*

                  The BearVault BV500 is a bear resistant canister designed as an alternative
                  to rigging a bear bag so that bears and other critters cannot get to your
                  food and other odorous objects. Bear Canisters are required in many popular
                  backcountry camping areas including the High Sierras of California and the
                  High Peaks of New York State.

                  The BearVault BV500 is 700 cubic inches (11.4 liters) and roughly 13 inches
                  tall by 8.5 inches in diameter (33cm x 20cm). It is designed to hold
                  roughly 7 days of food.

                  The BearVault BV500, along with other BearVault canisters, uses a screw top
                  lid. The lid locks shut after two small knobs that are on the lid have been
                  �clicked� past a piece of plastic that is on the canister. This piece of
                  plastic on the canister allows for the top to be screwed on easily, but not
                  off. To screw off the lid, the two knobs must be pushed inwards as each
                  knob passes the piece of plastic on the canister that prevents it from
                  unscrewing easily.* *

                  The BearVault BV500 is made of a transparent plastic that has a bluish tint,
                  but still allows its user to see into the canister from almost every angle.
                  The sides of the canister have dimples and ridges that make it easier for
                  the user to grip.

                  * *

                  *First Trip*

                  My first trip with the BearVault BV500 was down into the Grand Canyon for
                  two nights and three days. My friend and I camped at the same campsite in
                  Grapevine Creek for the two nights and did a day trip down the creek on our
                  second day. Our elevation started at 7400 feet (2250 meters) and dropped to
                  2500 feet (760 meters). The terrain was rough, but because of the
                  dependable weather, our packs for the trip were light at around 30 pounds
                  (13.5 kg).

                  My friend and I were sharing the canister. He was carrying it during the
                  day, but we were both using it in camp and at night to store our food.
                  Obviously,
                  there are no bears at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, but there are some
                  very brazen mice that were running around our feet while we were in camp.

                  My friend was carrying a ULA Catalyst pack and the canister fit into his
                  pack horizontally with ease. However, he neglected to remember to put his
                  snacks for that day in the top of his pack and had to go into the canister
                  which was at the bottom of his pack each time he wanted food. However, the
                  canister was transparent, and he could easily find the particular food
                  object he was looking for each time.

                  When we got into camp, we both put all of our food into the canister and
                  proceeded to set up camp. It was nice to be able to leave our food in the
                  middle of camp knowing that it was safe from mice without having to take
                  time-consuming precautions or precautions that would make it hard to quickly
                  access our food once we needed it.

                  The canister proved somewhat difficult to open at first. The new plastic
                  was not very malleable. We ended up using the flathead screwdriver piece of
                  my Swiss Army knife to push the knobs on the lid in as using our fingers
                  proved difficult. This maneuver was difficult at first, but got easier with
                  practice.

                  The canister also made a very nice seat. However, we had to make sure that
                  the lid was screwed down all the way before we sat on it. If it wasn�t, we
                  would do damage to the threads on the canister and compromise its integrity.
                  Making this another step in our camp routine was all we had to do to
                  remember.

                  The next day on our day hike, we simply took the food we needed for the day
                  and left the canister sitting in camp. Once the lid was screwed tight, we
                  left it for the next 8 hours completely worry free.* *

                  There are other rodent resistant products that are lighter than the
                  BearVault, but we used this trip as a test run for later forays into bear
                  country. Its weight is definitely a burden, but with the light packs we
                  were carrying, it made little difference.

                  * *

                  *Second Trip*

                  Later in the summer, my friend, my girlfriend, and I backpacked the John
                  Muir Trail (JMT) which is 220 miles (345 km) and has over 45,000 feet
                  (13,200 meters) of elevation gain and loss. For the entirety of the 19 days
                  that we were on the trail, we were in major black bear country. Our packs
                  ranged from roughly 35 pounds (15.9 kg) when we carried 3 days of food to 45
                  pounds (20.4 kg) when we carried 7 days of food. My friend and I both
                  carried a BearVault BV500 while my girlfriend carried another canister.

                  Once again, the canister fit well into my EMS Summit 5500 pack when placed
                  horizontally. Over the course of the trip, the canister held up perfectly.
                  It acquired some scuff marks, which is to be expected, but no structural
                  damage was done to the canister. No bear got into the canister throughout
                  the trip; however, as our canisters were always exactly where we put them
                  the night before, I do not think a single bear attempted to get into our
                  canisters.

                  One thing that I noticed was that over the course of the 19 days, the
                  canister became easier and easier to open. The more I opened it the less
                  stiff the plastic lid became. It also helped that I had a lot of practice,
                  and by the end of the 19 days, I had no problems opening the canister at
                  all.

                  The BV500 has a couple of benefits over other canisters. The first one is
                  that it is transparent. It is much easier to find a toothbrush or a
                  Werther�s Original at the bottom of the canister because it is transparent.
                  Second, the lid on other canisters has a tendency to jam when the canister
                  is very full; a problem that the BearVault did not have.

                  Because we were in black bear country, we had to put everything that might
                  have a scent in the canister. This meant chapstick, toothpaste, floss, and
                  contact lens solution. With all of this stuff in the canister, I was still
                  able to carry seven days of food. In all honesty, it was probably even more
                  than that because I took a slightly larger load than my girlfriend.

                  Finally, on a long trip like the JMT, it was nice to have the canister as an
                  organizational tool. After we stopped at certain ranches and other
                  re-supply points, it was nice to be able to put any loose change in the
                  canister as opposed to having it spread throughout my pack. It was also
                  great for other odds and ends such as matches, IDs, credit cards and extra
                  batteries.* *

                  * *

                  *Summary*

                  Bear canisters are a necessary evil. They are heavy and they take up a lot
                  of space, but when backcountry regulations require them, there is not
                  another choice. In fact, many places now require them. As far as they go,
                  the BearVault BV500 is great. Its transparent body allows me to see into
                  the canister which makes finding small things infinitely easier. The
                  locking mechanism was initially cumbersome, but within a couple of uses it
                  became much easier. It is slightly larger than many canisters, but still
                  fit horizontally into every pack in which I put it. Finally, it makes a
                  great seat in camp which can always be useful.

                  Disclaimer: There is a black bear in the Adirondacks that has become quite
                  good at opening these canisters. This is the only known instance of a bear
                  breaking into the canister of which I am aware.

                  *Likes* *
                  Dislikes*

                  Transparent Heavy

                  Easy open Takes up
                  space

                  Good camp seat

                  Good organizational tool

                  Fits a lot of food

                  Peace of mind

                  No hassle compared to bear bag

                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 16, 2010
                    KATHY/SOPHIE - Michael Dax(1) - BearVault V500 - Posted Jan 12(msg#78676), Taken Feb 1, Edit Feb 1(78752), Repost Feb 1, Edit Feb 11(78809), Repost Feb 14, Edit Feb 19(78847), Follow up Mar 5, working on HTML issues as of Mar 6, Edit Mar 10(78897), Repost Mar 17, Repost Mar 19, Edit/Approved Mar 27(79004), Followed up Apr 16

                    Hi Michael,
                    Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Kathy back on Mar 27. Please refer to message number 79004 at