OR - Marmot Super Hero - Anson Moxness

  • ak_xcskier
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2010
      It's been a real long time since I've done this but I've gotten a ton of new gear that I'd love to talk about, so here we go.

      html version with pictures can be found on my adventure racing team's site:
      http://ultrabambi.com/reviews/superhero/superhero.html

      Tester Information

      Name: Anson Moxness
      E-mail: anson.moxness at gmail dot com
      Age: 21
      Location: Hanover, NH/Anchorage, AK
      Gender: M
      Height: 5'9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)

      Backpacking Background:
      I was introduced to backpacking at some point in wombhood and never looked back. I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska, scaling the peaks of the Chugach Mountains and am currently running around the backwoods of northern New England. I prefer to carry a lightweight load, but I'm not going to be counting ounces anytime soon. I am willing to sacrifice a few ounces for durability's sake.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Marmot Mountain, LLC
      Year of Manufacture: 2008
      Model: Men's Super Hero (Women's Available)
      Manufacturer Website: www.marmot.com
      Color Reviewed: Fire/Orange (color no longer available)
      Colors Currently Available: Black, Vapor Blue/Deep Blue, Forest, Dark Cedar, Cardinal/Fire
      Listed Weight: Not Available
      Measured Weight: 27 oz (765 g)
      Warrantee: Lifetime Guarantee
      MSRP: $285 (USD)

      Product Description:

      The Marmot Super Hero (hereafter referred to as the jacket) is a medium weight soft shell intended for a "wide range of alpine activities" (quoted from Marmot's website).

      The main body of the jacket is a laminate of Gore Windstopper laminate and Marmot M2 Softshell material with a DWR (durable water repellency) treatment. The jacket has a helmet compatible, removable, and storable hood made from a hard shell coated material. There are two hand pockets, one chest pocket, and an inside pocket. The shoulders and outside of the arms are reinforced for these high wear areas. The hood and waist belt both have synchcords and the cuffs are adjustable with hook and loop attachment. The collar is lined with soft fleece for neck and face comfort.

      Marmot addresses underarm venting with a light, stretchy breathable fabric in armpit gussets.

      Field Conditions:

      I have used this jacket all around New England as well as in the Chugach Mountains outside of Anchorage, Alaska. It is my go to jacket for casual wearing as well as most alpine activities. I have used it in temperatures ranging from -10 F to +50 F (-23 C to 10 C) at elevations up to around 5500 feet (1670 m), with winds up to around 50 mph (80 kph) with 80 mph (130 kph) gusts.

      Observations

      This is the first real soft shell jacket in my closet and I feel like I have no reason to get another.

      The jacket is an athletic cut with a slightly lower in back than in front. I normally wear a medium, however I got a large in this jacket as it is cut tightly and I wanted a bit more flexibility for increased range of motion and layering possibilities. Besides sizing up, the jacket fits marvelously.

      I originally got this jacket for backcountry and resort skiing, but soon started taking it on every winter adventure I could. The most showing test of this jacket was a ski descent of Mt. Katahdin. With 10 F (-12 C) temperatures and up to 50 mph (80 kph) continuous winds, I only wore a polypro layer and a light fleece under the jacket and was toasty warm the entire time. I never even considered getting my hard shell jacket out of my pack. Overall, the Windstopper works just as advertised and the jacket was great for brisk skinning and mountaineering in those conditions.

      This was the first jacket I have had with a removable as well as stowable hood. The hood is made of a hard shell coated material. The hood easily fits over ski and climbing helmets and doesn't get in the way when it is out but not on the head. Stowing the hood consists of putting it in a long zippered pocket behind the neck. The stowed hood felt a bit odd at first as there was a larger mass behind my neck than normal, but I soon acclimatized to the feeling and it was never really a problem. The hood also zips on and off relatively easily when the jacket is removed but is difficult to zip back on if the jacket is worn.

      Two features that I have lamented the absence of are pit-zips and a powder skirt. I found that in rigorous exercise in warmer winter days the breathable underarm gussets didn't vent as well as standard pit zips. My solution to this ended up being unzipping the front of the jacket, which worked just fine. Skiing on powder days I wished there was a removable powder skirt. If it had both of those features I might not ever take this jacket off between September and April.

      I am constantly amazed at the durability of this jacket. I was skiing a glade of trees in the Green Mountains of Vermont and snagged my arm on a branch with enough force to pull my entire body over 90 degrees to the side and when I looked at my jacket it looked like nothing had ever happened. I have used and abused this jacket over the probably 100 days of use and it barely looks different from the day I got it.

      Conclusions

      This jacket is my go-to jacket for most all conditions in the winter. I would wear a waterproof-breathable shell in all but misting conditions, but in every other case I wear the Super Hero jacket. I would definitely recommend this jacket to anyone looking for a do-it-all soft shell jacket.

      Pros:
      The jacket does it all
      Breathable
      Athletic fit is cut well
      Durable

      Cons:
      No powder skirt
      Venting options limited.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2010
        Welcome back Anson!

        Before I can accept your Owner Review you will need to clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. Please add an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report and then repost the REVISED version to the yahoo group.

        Also, you will need to upload the HTML version to the TEST FOLDER on the backpackgeartest.org website before an editor will be able to move forward with the OR.

        After you repost, I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our edit queue and you will be on your way to getting an official edit. I'm pretty sure since it's been over 2 years since your last BGT writing you'll probably be asked to run through 2 ORs again.

        Thank you,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Admin Manager
      • ak_xcskier
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2010
          Here it is again. I added a statement of use to the Field conditions as well as the one in the body of the review that was previously there.

          Picture filled html version at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20Marmot%20Super%20Hero%20-%20Anson%20Moxness/

          Thanks everyone!

[...]

          The Marmot Super Hero (hereafter referred to as the jacket) is a medium weight soft shell intended for a "wide range of alpine activities" (quoted from Marmot website).

          The main body of the jacket is a laminate of Gore Windstopper laminate and Marmot M2 Softshell material with a DWR (durable water repellency) treatment. The jacket has a helmet compatible, removable, and storable hood made from hard shell coated material. There are two hand pockets, one chest pocket, and an inside pocket. The shoulders and outside of the arms are reinforced for these high wear areas. The hood and waist belt are have synchcords and the cuffs are adjustable with hook and loop attachment. The collar is lined with soft fleece for neck and face comfort.

          Marmot addresses underarm venting with a light breathable fabric in armpit gussets.
          Field Conditions:

          I have used this jacket all around New England as well as in the Chugach Mountains outside of Anchorage, Alaska. It is my go to jacket for casual wearing as well as most alpine activities. I have used it in temperatures ranging from -10 F to +50 F (-23 C to 10 C) at elevations up to around 5500 feet (1670 m), with winds up to around 50 mph (80 kph) with 80 mph (130 kph) gusts. I have worn this jacket for around 100 days of skiing, biking, hiking, and general use.

          Observations

          This is my first real soft shell jacket in my closet and I feel like I have no reason to get another.

          The jacket is an athletic cut with a slightly lower in back than in front. I normally wear a medium, however I got a large in this jacket as it is cut tightly and I wanted a bit more flexibility for increased range of motion and layering possibilities. Besides sizing up, the jacket fits marvelously.

          I originally got this jacket for backcountry and resort skiing, but soon started taking it on every winter adventure I could use it on. The most showing test of this jacket was a ski descent of Mt. Katahdin. With 10 F (-12 C) temperatures and up to 50 mph (80 kph) continuous winds, I only wore a polypro layer and a light fleece under the jacket and was toasty warm the entire time. I never even considered getting my hard shell jacket out of my pack. Overall, the Windstopper works just as advertised and the jacket was great for brisk skinning and mountaineering in those conditions.

[...]

        • richardglyon
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
            Welcome back Anson! Richard

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "ak_xcskier" <anson.moxness@...> wrote:

            > Here it is again. I added a statement of use to the Field conditions as well as the one in the body of the review that was previously there.
            >
            > Picture filled html version at: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20Marmot%20Super%20Hero%20-%20Anson%20Moxness/
            >
            > Thanks everyone!

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2010