OR- Snow Peak Trek 900 cookset - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2010
      Hi OR Team,

      I hope I'm not backing up the queue, but I've had a few moments lately to finish up some OR's that I've had in progress for awhile.  I've posted it to the folder with text and link below.

      Thanks in advance for the edits!

      Nancy

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/OR%20-%20Snow%20Peak%20Trek%20900%20Cookset%20-%20Nancy%20Griffith/

      http://tinyurl.com/ycggq3n

      SNOW PEAK TREK 900 COOK SET
      BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      OR
      January 24, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 43
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails..  The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week-long.  I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and hiking poles.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Trek 900"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo courtesy of Snow Peak website">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "In storage bag"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo courtesy of Snow Peak website">>Manufacturer: Snow Peak
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.snowpeak.com" LINK TEXT = "http://www.snowpeak.com">>
      MSRP: $44.95 US
      Listed Weight: 6.2 oz (176 g)
      Measured Weight: 6.2 oz (176 g) including pot, lid and mesh bag
      Mesh Bag Weight: 0.4 oz (11 g)
      Listed Pot Volume: 30 fl oz (0.89 L)
      Measured Pot Volume: 36 fl oz (1.06 L) measured to brim
      Listed Lid Volume: 8 fl oz (0.24 L)
      Measured Lid Volume: 12 fl oz (0.35 L) measured to brim
      Listed Pot Size (diameter x depth): 5-1/8 x 4-1/4 in (130 x 108 mm)
      Measured Pot Size: 4-3/4 x 4-1/4 in (121 mm x 108 mm)
      Listed Lid Size:  5 x 1-1/2 in (127 x 38 cm) confirmed by my measurement
      Material: Titanium
       <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "handles folded">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "handles open">>
      The Trek 900 is small cook set comprised of a tall/narrow pot, a shallow lid that can be used as a small frying pan and a nylon mesh storage bag.  The pot handles are made of 1/8 in (3 mm) diameter wire that make a handle when both sides are folded out.  They are shaped such that they can be folded flat against the pot when not in use.  The lids handle is one wire that also can be folded under the lid bottom when not in use.
      The pot has markings of 10, 20 and 25 oz and 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6 L stamped into the side.  The Imperial units seem unusual since multiples of 8 fluid ounces are common.  However, they are still useful.  The listed volumes for the pot and lid seem to be consistent with what could reasonably be poured from the pot and lid rather than the absolute volume which can be held.  See my measured volumes for reference.  I like that they listed the volumes like this.
      The lid fits down over the lip of the pot to provide a secure fit.  The lid handle folds by pushing outward on the two sides of it.  This is a little counter-intuitive for me since I have another pot with a handle that folds by pushing inward.  However, this method does eliminate the need for a bar between the sides to keep me from inadvertently folding the handle just by squeezing it together.
      The storage bag is black nylon mesh with a drawstring and barrel lock.  It is quite a bit larger than the cook set such that I can fit additional items in the bag on top of the pot/lid if needed.

      FIELD USE

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "with 110g fuel">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "with 220g fuel">><<IMAGE GOES HERE.. ALT TEXT = "extra fuel canister">>
      I bought the Snow Peak Trek 900 titanium cook set to go with my Snow Peak GS-100 Giga Power stove.  It makes a compact and lightweight cooking combination.  A 110g fuel canister and stove (in the case) fit inside the pot with extra room for a couple of lighters and a cloth.  A 220g canister also fits in the pot, but the canister has to be stored upside down for the stove (in the case) to fit inside with it.  Since the mesh bag is a bit long, I can also fit a spare 110g fuel canister on top of the cook set.  A spare 220g canister could instead fit but just barely.  I have found it easiest to put the bag over the upright cook set rather than try to get the cook set into the bag.  This can be seen in my photo with the extra fuel (notice the cook set is upside-down).
      I have used this cook set on 8 backpacking trips and 2 camping trips for a total of 30 days.  Elevations ranged from sea level to 10,250 ft (3,124 m) and temperatures ranged from 38 to 75 F (3 to 24 C).  I only used it with the Snow Peak GS-100 Giga Power stove.
      Like with other titanium pots that I've used, water seems to boil in a subtle manner with small bubbles being produced.  So, I still am getting used to having water reach the boiling point before I realize it.  For dinner, I have made some boil-in-the-bag type of meals where I simply boil water and then add it to my zippered bag of dinner.  However, my husband and I prefer to eat from the pot rather than a plastic bag and usually boil the water, turn off the stove, add the meal to the pot, cover it with the lid, wrap it in a fleece and allow it to sit until ready.  For breakfast we make cowboy coffee which consists of heating water with ground coffee in it and filtering into the lid and one other cup for drinking.  Then we rinse out the pot and boil water again to which we add our oatmeal mixture and eat it from the pot.
      The pot is a perfect size for a two-person dinner.  We have used it for tortellini, beef stew, chicken couscous, egg drop soup, etc. with just the right amount of room for stirring.  I did find that there is not room to make drop biscuits on top of my beef stew and ended up boiling over the stew.  I have managed to boil over coffee one time also.  I have never had a problem with anything sticking to the pot and have never burned anything in it (probably due to the types of meals I make).  I have used the lid as a drinking cup and dish but have never used it as a frying pan.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "holes in mesh">>
      The cook set has been washed many times in the field by using water and maybe some pine needles or sand scrubbed around by fingers.  After each trip, I wash the set in the dishwasher.  There has been no noticeable discoloration, scratches, damage or deterioration in function.  The handles work like they did when new.  The mesh bag has some small holes in it where it rubbed with the handles on the pot and lid.

      SUMMARY

      I have found the Snow Peak Trek 900 titanium cook set to be a lightweight and compact kitchen.  It is the perfect size for two-person meals and provides nice organization for my stove, fuel, lighters and cloth.

      THINGS I LIKE

      Lightweight
      Compact
      Great kitchen organizer
      Fits well on Snow Peak GS-100 stove
      Measurement markings

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Would prefer measurement markings in 8 oz increments.

      SIGNATURE

      Nancy Griffith

      Copyright 2010.  All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1 3:32 PM
          Hi Nancy,

          Never a problem with too many reviews. If that were the case they would have dumped me a long time ago.

          Here you go, you know the drill. Once done you can upload to:

          http://tinyurl.com/ycuyb4m

          Thanks for the OR,

          Ray

          *** The pot handles are made of 1/8 in (3 mm) diameter wire that make a handle when both sides are folded out.

          Edit; that "makes" a handle

          *** The lids handle is one wire that also can be folded under the lid bottom when not in use.

          EDIT: the "lid's" handle

          *** A 110g fuel canister

          EDIT: we are asked to use a space before the g (110 g) please look for all instances
        • Nancy Griffith
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1 3:48 PM
            Hi Ray,

            Thanks for the edits.  I've made the changes, uploaded to the folder and deleted the test file.

            Yeah, I have a long way to go to catch you on ORs, but I'm working on it!  Actually, I don't think I even own enough gear to be able to write 100+ ORs...hey, sounds like a good excuse to go shopping.

            See you next time.

            Nancy