Owner Review - Tim Earley - Marmot Glide Softshell Gloves

  • Tim Earley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2010
      Marmot Men's Glide Softshell Gloves
      Owner Review
      Tim Earley
      January 20th, 2010

      Tester Information:
      Name: Tim Earley
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 0"/ 1.80 m
      Weight: 185 lb/ 84 kg
      Email address: timothy.earley AT gmail.com
      City, State, Country: Yonkers, New York, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      My first exposure to backpacking was about seven years ago in the Army where
      I learned everything I needed to learn about being comfortable in the
      wilderness with little to no “comfort gear.” I primarily do day hikes now,
      with the occasional overnight jaunt thrown in whenever possible. I consider
      myself a lightweight packer, though not a minimalist. My favorite hikes are
      those that have significant elevation change as these provide the best
      views, most challenge and best reward. I am most comfortable in cool to
      cold weather as I tend to overheat in other seasons.

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: Marmot
      Model: Glide Softshell Glove
      Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, X-Large; Medium reviewed
      Colors: Black, Raven (brown)
      Year of Manufacture: 2009
      Fabric Content: 88% Nylon, 12% Elastane; Marmot M2 softshell
      MSRP: $50.00
      Country of Manufacture: China

      Product Description:
      The Marmot Glide Softshell Gloves are, not surprisingly, softshell gloves
      made by Marmot! The gloves are described by Marmot as water repellent, wind
      resistant, breathable and warm. They are made of a lightweight nylon
      softshell material that provides good warmth and great breathability while
      on the move and enough tactility to be useful as work gloves when not
      moving. The gloves feature hook and loop wrist closures (with material to
      keep wind out when closure is open), patches of silicon on the point and
      middle finger tips as well as the thumb, and a slim but not constricting
      fit. These patches of silicon have proven very effective in adding
      tactility and dexterity to these gloves. The gloves do stretch some, but
      are not in the same league as lycra. There is also some stiching about one
      inch (2.5 cm) inward (towards the fingers) from the hook and loop wrist
      closure that acts as a draft collar to keep out snow and cold winds.

      Field Conditions:
      I have used these gloves in temperatures ranging from 0 F (-18 C) to 40 F (5
      C). I've worn them on about ten separate day trips of about 7 to 8 hours
      each and 2 overnight trips. They have seen prolonged moderate rain, dry and
      wet snow and sustained 50 mph winds. They have proven to be impervious to
      all but prolonged rain and are surprisingly warm and windproof, especially
      when moving.

      Initial Impressions:
      I was looking for a good pair of softshell gloves to give me a balance of
      warmth, breathability, tactility, and weather resistance while on the move
      in cold weather. These gloves hit the mark. They seemed very well made and
      the softshell material looked like it would shed weather effectively. I was
      also impressed as the seams are placed such that they do not irritate my
      fingers. Some gloves have the seams in the worst places and can irritate
      the fingertips, palm, wrist, etc. The people at Marmot did a great job
      keeping the seams out of the way. I was interested in the effectiveness of
      the silicon patches on the fingertips and so took some money and credit
      cards out of my wallet with the gloves on (in hindsight, I probably looked
      pretty shady doing this in the store). I was able to do this with no
      problem and so was completely sold on the idea. I initially tried on a size
      large since I wear a large in just about every piece of clothing (including
      gloves) but found them a bit loose. It is important to remember I bought
      these gloves for tactility as well as warmth and so wanted them a little
      tighter than say, ski gloves. I bought the size medium and they fit
      perfectly for my intended use.

      Owner Review

      Review:
      Overall I think the gloves are great. As expected, they have shed all
      weather well. I have been especially impressed with their wind resistance.
      I took a day hike in December 2009 in weather with an ambient temperature
      of about 7 F (-14 C) with sustained winds of 35 mph (56 kph) with gusts at
      50 mph (80 kph). Hey, can't test wind resistance without wind! Plus I
      wanted to test out a new jacket I bought. These gloves absolutely blew me
      away with their wind resistance. I didn't feel the wind at all and my
      fingers were toasty warm the entire day. They provided plenty of
      breathability along with all this warmth and so my fingers and hands always
      felt just right.

      On the downside, the water-repellency of these gloves is mediocre. They
      will shed light to moderate rain but will absorb water if they come into
      contact with wet surfaces. On a hike in about 40 F (4 C) rainy weather,
      they completely soaked through in about 35 to 40 minutes. I was using rocks
      as handholds while scrambling and was pretty careful to limit my contact
      with the wet surfaces. The glove still soaked through in all areas. While
      I expected to get my gloves damp, I did not expect these gloves to soak
      through so quickly. They aren't sponges, but be aware that they do absorb
      significant amounts of water from surface contact. However, as stated
      previously, they do shed precipitation well.

      The durability of these gloves has proven to be good although I have noticed
      a small amount of pilling in the fingertips without silicon patches. I do
      not think it is anything significant, just a result of them being scraped on
      rocks during some trips. There do not seem to be any seams coming undone or
      areas of significant wear and tear. The hook and loop wrist closures are
      holding up well and show no signs of decreased performance. I have noticed
      that the index finger of the right gloves has twisted so the silicon patch
      is now facing towards the thumb. This is a minor annoyance and nothing
      more.

      gloves. They provide all the warmth I need when on the move in cold
      weather. They also provide enough dexterity that I can do pretty much
      anything short of use a zip-loc bag with them on. They shed precipitation
      well and absolutely stonewall the wind while stretching just enough to be
      comfortable the whole time.

      I am pleased with the performance of these gloves, especially for their more
      than reasonable price tag. I will continue to use them in all situations
      where waterproof/breathable gloves or mittens would be too heavy.

      The Good:
      1. Dexterity
      2. Wind-resistance
      3. Great overall fit and attention to detail.

      The Bad:
      1. Absorb water through surface contact

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 24, 2010

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        Edit Administration Manager
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
          Hi Tim,

          I am going to be your editor for this one; your initial edits will follow. They will take the following format;

          EDIT: must be changed

          When you have made the changes please repost here with REPOST added to the subject line. Please put the HTML version in the test folder too and give me a link or name.

          Ray

          ***Manufacturer: Marmot

          EDIT: they are "Marmot Mountain"

          *** The gloves do stretch some, but are not in the same league as lycra.

          EDIT: Lycra (trademarked name)

          ***There is also some stiching about one inch (2.5 cm) inward

          EDIT: stitching

          *** They have seen prolonged moderate rain, dry and
          wet snow and sustained 50 mph winds.

          EDIT: needs the km/h too

          ***I took a day hike in December 2009 in weather with an ambient temperature of about 7 F (-14 C) with sustained winds of 35 mph (56 kph) with gusts at 50 mph (80 kph).

          EDIT: the best way to abbreviate kilometers per hour is "km/h"; "kmph" is acceptable too

          *** They also provide enough dexterity that I can do pretty much
          anything short of use a zip-loc bag with them on.

          EDIT: short of "using" a "Ziploc" bag

          If you want to say "plastic locking bag" instead you can. Ziploc is a brand name.