Re: OR- Leatherman Skeletool- Michael Smith

  • mark
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
      Just as a note I have picked this up as Mentor/Mentee, and will be working with Michael for a resubmission.

      Thanks in advance.

      Cheers
      Mark

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "msmith.cr86" <msmith.cr86@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > reason enough for an upgrade! The knife is extremely sharp and has a secure
      > locking feature allowing for safe use. Also, there is a hole punched in the base
      > of the blade to allow easy one handed opening when required (see picture below).
      >
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Knife opens from the outside.">>
      >
      > The pliers are well constructed and very sturdy. I have used the needle nose
      > pliers in a wide variety of ways including splinter removal and camp stove
      > repairs. I have been very impressed with the dexterity of the needle nose pliers
      > as intricate tasks can easily be accomplished.
      >
      > The screwdriver has proven handy and effective in design. The bits are
      > easily changed out via a lever style button (see photo below) and the problem of bit storage has
      > been solved by Leatherman Tool Group. Built into the handle
      > (opposite the knife), is a small slot that the unused screw driver bit can be
      > stored in. It is a tight fit (but easily removed via an access slot on top) that
      > holds the bit in place through any circumstance.
      >
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Screwdriver button detail.">>
      >
      > Now, the moment you've all been waiting for (or at least I have)... the
      > bottle opener. Disguised as a carabiner clip, the bottle opener sits at the end
      > of the handle opposite the screwdriver. The first couple of times that I used
      > it, the tool slipped off of the bottle. This was mainly due to excessive
      > pressure being applied on my part. I quickly was able to master the bottle cap
      > removal technique after a few tries. The bottle opener and I have since become
      > close friends. As I always have the Skeletool on me, I have come to rely on my
      > little friend for all my bottle opening needs.
      >
      > As with most products of this nature, the Skeletool has gathered a fair
      > amount of dirt in its cracks and crannies. This is easily remedied with a
      > thorough cleaning with an old toothbrush. I would not recommend using anything
      > with firm bristles or steel wool as it may cause excessive scratching on the
      > surfaces. Regular maintenance and cleaning has proven to extend the life of
      > multi-tools such as the Skeletool.
      >

      > SUMMARY
      >
      > The Skeletool has proven to be effective in a nearly endless number of
      > situations. Its uses extend beyond backpacking and hiking to everyday use. I
      > have found that the Skeletool is suitable for all-weather use and can be
      > effective in even the most challenging and rugged terrain. In my humble opinion,
      > the Skeletool is a must have due to its weight, size and amenities.
      >
      > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Skeletool in all its glory.">>
      >
      > THINGS I LIKE
      >
      > • Just the right tools
      > • Great size and shape
      > • Easy up keep/maintenance
      >
      > THINGS I DON'TLIKE
      >
      > • Bottle opener takes some getting used to

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
        Welcome to BGT Michael.

        Before I can accept your Owner Review you will need to clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. Please add an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report and then repost the REVISED version to the yahoo group.

        I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our edit queue and you will be on your way to getting an official edit.

        On a side note, will you please include your middle initial in your reports and correspondence? I'm afraid we have another fella here named Michael P. Smith and communication could get a bit crazy if we don't keep things clear.

        Thank you,
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Admin Manager
      • Mark McLauchlin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
          Jamie,

          Please see message #78649 I have picked up Michael as a mentee and will
          resubmit when the report is up to standard.

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
            Got it! Thanks Mark.

            Jamie D