OR- Leatherman Skeletool- Michael Smith

  • msmith.cr86
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2010
      OR- LEATHERMAN SKELETOOL
      BY MICHAEL SMITH
      OR
      January 01, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Michael Smith
      EMAIL: msmith.cr@...
      AGE: 23
      LOCATION: Appleton, WI, USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.20 kg)

      I have been backpacking and hiking for about 10 years.
      Weekend trips and day hikes in Canada, and across the lower 48 states, make up
      the majority of my backpacking experience. I consider myself to be a lightweight
      backpacker but enjoy a few select comforts. I usually limit myself to 3 season
      backpacking but enjoy the occasional winter trip.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      Leatherman Skeletool

      Manufacturer: Leatherman Tool Group Inc
      Web site: www.leatherman.com
      Name: Skeletool (multi-tool)
      Year manufactured: 2009
      Weight: 5 ounces
      Length (closed) listed: 4 inches (10 cm)
      Length (open) listed: 6.6 inches (16.6 cm); with 2.6 inch (6.6 cm) blade
      Color: Stainless (silver)

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "The Skeletool">>

      I received the Skeletool as a gift from my wife on my birthday in September
      2009. Upon opening the box, I discovered that the Skeletool came with a nylon
      case that had belt loops for mounting the tool either parallel or perpendicular
      to the belt. Also included, was a dual sided square-drive bit for the screw
      driver.

      NOTE: The first few times opening and closing the Skeletool were a little
      difficult as the joints had never been used.

      APPEARANCE

      The appearance of the Skeletool differs greatly from many of the more common
      multi-tools as it does not have the stereotypical blunt square body. The tool is
      ergonomically designed to be comfortable in the hand regardless of which tool is
      being used.
      The high quality of the stainless steel used in its construction is evident as
      it is extremely durable. Numerous holes have been punched through all of the
      major surfaces to allow the Skeletool to remain a lightweight yet strong tool on
      and off the trail.

      FEATURES

      I have found this multi-tool to be my personal favorite as it contains only the
      most vital tools. The Skeletool contains a short list of amenities including:

      • non-serrated 2.6 inch blade
      • needle nose pliers
      • regular pliers
      • bottle opener
      • carabiner clip
      • wire cutter/stripper
      • screw driver with 3 dual ended bits

      OBSERVATIONS

      The knife blade folds out from the closed position allowing quick access to the
      blade. Compared to previous models of the multi-tool, the ability to use the
      knife without opening the tool (pliers exposed position), has proven to be
      reason enough for an upgrade! The knife is extremely sharp and has a secure
      locking feature allowing for safe use. Also, there is a hole punched in the base
      of the blade to allow easy one handed opening when required (see picture below).

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Knife opens from the outside.">>

      The pliers are well constructed and very sturdy. I have used the needle nose
      pliers in a wide variety of ways including splinter removal and camp stove
      repairs. I have been very impressed with the dexterity of the needle nose pliers
      as intricate tasks can easily be accomplished.

      The screwdriver has proven handy and effective in design. The bits are
      easily changed out via a lever style button (see photo below) and the problem of bit storage has
      been solved by Leatherman Tool Group. Built into the handle
      (opposite the knife), is a small slot that the unused screw driver bit can be
      stored in. It is a tight fit (but easily removed via an access slot on top) that
      holds the bit in place through any circumstance.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Screwdriver button detail.">>

      Now, the moment you've all been waiting for (or at least I have)... the
      bottle opener. Disguised as a carabiner clip, the bottle opener sits at the end
      of the handle opposite the screwdriver. The first couple of times that I used
      it, the tool slipped off of the bottle. This was mainly due to excessive
      pressure being applied on my part. I quickly was able to master the bottle cap
      removal technique after a few tries. The bottle opener and I have since become
      close friends. As I always have the Skeletool on me, I have come to rely on my
      little friend for all my bottle opening needs.

      As with most products of this nature, the Skeletool has gathered a fair
      amount of dirt in its cracks and crannies. This is easily remedied with a
      thorough cleaning with an old toothbrush. I would not recommend using anything
      with firm bristles or steel wool as it may cause excessive scratching on the
      surfaces. Regular maintenance and cleaning has proven to extend the life of
      multi-tools such as the Skeletool.

      SUMMARY

      The Skeletool has proven to be effective in a nearly endless number of
      situations. Its uses extend beyond backpacking and hiking to everyday use. I
      have found that the Skeletool is suitable for all-weather use and can be
      effective in even the most challenging and rugged terrain. In my humble opinion,
      the Skeletool is a must have due to its weight, size and amenities.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Skeletool in all its glory.">>

      THINGS I LIKE

      • Just the right tools
      • Great size and shape
      • Easy up keep/maintenance

      THINGS I DON'TLIKE

      • Bottle opener takes some getting used to
      • Stiff joints the first few uses

      SIGNATURE

      Michael Smith

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
    • mark
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
        Just as a note I have picked this up as Mentor/Mentee, and will be working with Michael for a resubmission.

        Thanks in advance.

        Cheers
        Mark

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "msmith.cr86" <msmith.cr86@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > surfaces. Regular maintenance and cleaning has proven to extend the life of
        > multi-tools such as the Skeletool.
        >

        > SUMMARY
        >
        > The Skeletool has proven to be effective in a nearly endless number of
        > situations. Its uses extend beyond backpacking and hiking to everyday use. I
        > have found that the Skeletool is suitable for all-weather use and can be
        > effective in even the most challenging and rugged terrain. In my humble opinion,
        > the Skeletool is a must have due to its weight, size and amenities.
        >
        > <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "Skeletool in all its glory.">>
        >
        > THINGS I LIKE
        >
        > • Just the right tools
        > • Great size and shape
        > • Easy up keep/maintenance
        >
        > THINGS I DON'TLIKE
        >
        > • Bottle opener takes some getting used to

      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
          Welcome to BGT Michael.

          Before I can accept your Owner Review you will need to clarify the number of days and/or nights you have used this product in the field. Please add an estimate of how many times you have used it to your report and then repost the REVISED version to the yahoo group.

          I will take a look and if it meets our requirements I'll add the report to our edit queue and you will be on your way to getting an official edit.

          On a side note, will you please include your middle initial in your reports and correspondence? I'm afraid we have another fella here named Michael P. Smith and communication could get a bit crazy if we don't keep things clear.

          Thank you,
          Jamie DeBenedetto
          Edit Admin Manager
        • Mark McLauchlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
            Jamie,

            Please see message #78649 I have picked up Michael as a mentee and will
            resubmit when the report is up to standard.

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2010
              Got it! Thanks Mark.

              Jamie D