Re: EDIT: Repost 2: Owner Review - Asolo TPS 520 - Brad Johnson

  • Brad
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2010
      Asolo TPS 520 Boots
      By Brad Johnson
      Owner Review
      1/5/10

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Brad Johnson
      Age: 29
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (1.9 m)
      Weight: 240 lbs (108 kg)
      Shoe Size: US 13 (EU 46)
      E-mail Address: bradley_g_johnsonAThotmailDOTcom
      City: Charlotte
      State: North Carolina
      Country: USA
      Date: Nov. 19, 2009

      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking as a teen after an Outward Bound trip. Since then I have spent numerous long weekends in the backcountry with occasional week long trips. Perhaps more importantly, I am a geologist and spend extensive amounts of time day hiking and generally wandering around wild places. While I currently live in Charlotte, NC, my research generally focuses on alpine areas and I spend a lot of time in the western US above treeline.
      This leads to my encountering snow, hail, sun, rain, wind, and generally unpredictable weather. I often hike off trail or in areas with no trail. In terms of weight, I try and keep my load between 40 and 50 lbs. (18-23 kg) but often end up carrying heavy equipment like long handled shovels.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Asolo
      Listed weight: 29 oz (820 grams) for size 8.5
      Actual Weight: Size 13 (EU 46) 32 oz (~900 grams) which have been worn for two years
      Materials - Full grain leather uppers; Gore-Tex lined; Vibram soles
      MSRP: N/A

      A pair of Asolo 520 boots come in a standard boot box with few accessories other than paperwork for Gore-Tex and Vibram. The boots consist of one piece of leather on the uppers that wraps all the way round the back to the seam point.  The tongue is a separate piece of leather but no seams are clearly exposed.  Cleats are a standard system similar to that of the classic Vasque Sundowner
      with pulleys leading up to U-hooks. The boots are Gore-Tex lined.

      The boots are part of Asolo's backpacking line of products and can generally be assumed to be for people carrying significant loads of weight. Full grain leather provides stiffness through the upper ankle and I'm pretty sure no stiffeners are used in the ankle section. The soles are extremely rigid both laterally and longitudinally. The intent of the manufacture is for these boots to be worn by people on longer treks and those needing significant ankle support.

      Personal Experience

      I have worn these boots in many different conditions since I purchased them in 2006. I have worn them for over 100 days total since I purchased them. I've hiked  as far as 15 miles in them but often when I do field work I am walking less and  working/digging more. I have used them in extreme spring and summer weather in the mountains of the western U.S. and have never found them to leak. On numerous occasions (including recently during the passage of Hurricane Ida) I have used them to stand in streams less than 4 inches (~10 cm) deep for periods of up to an hour. During these periods I have never had wet feet. I often pair them with tall Outdoor Research gaiters and use them to cross snowfields.

      The break-in period for these boots was less than for some other boots that I have owned recently. I believe this to be because they are full grain leather and do not contain any plastic stiffeners. Despite being made of leather, they have not stretched significantly to change their size. The insoles are cheap and resemble most other factory insoles in boots on the market.

      They provide solid ankle support while traversing steep slopes but actually hamper climbing up steep slopes due to their intense ankle support (and thereby lack of ankle flexibility). They are stiff enough in the ankle that I won't drive in them. When off trail, I find the durability of full grain leather to be a necessity. Despite dragging them through sage brush, bushes, and boulder fields, the uppers are in relatively good condition. I must admit that I am not the best at using leather conditioner and yet the boots appear to be in good shape. I find the stiffness of the sole to be reassuring on uneven ground and solid on steep slopes. I have often used the stiff toe to kick steps into soft spring snowfields.

      The shoelaces lasted about two years from the time of purchase and broke at the location of the highest pulley before the lowest cleat. This occurred on both boots. Round replacement laces (they come with flat) appear to last a bit longer.

      Summary

      Good:
      1) Super durable
      2) Waterproof
      3) Stable under foot

      Bad:
      1) Heavy
      2) Tough to scramble in
      3) Cheap insoles
      4) Expensive compared with other boots on the market
    • sophie_pearson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 6, 2010
        Hi Brad,
        Other than a couple of small edits, there is just a formatting issue before I can clear you to upload. You appear to have quite a few line breaks and extra lines in the html. If you can't figure out how to get rid of them (I don't know how familiar you are with html) you can ask here:

        Once they are sorted, please repost the html and to the list and if it all looks good you will be ready to upload. The edits are below.
        Cheers,
        Sophie

        1/5/10

        Weight: 240 lbs (108 kg)

        Shoe Size: US 13 (EU 46)

        Date: Nov. 19, 2009
        >>>EDIT: Don't need this here as the date is above

        day hiking

        western US above treeline.
        This leads to my encountering snow

        I often hike off trail

        40 and 50 lbs.

        Listed weight: 29 oz (820 grams) for size 8.5

        Actual Weight: Size 13 (EU 46) 32 oz (~900 grams) which have

        A pair of Asolo 520 boots come in a standard boot box

        Vasque Sundowner
        with pulleys leading

        I've hiked as far as 15 miles in them

        When off trail, I find the durability

        3) Cheap insoles

        4) Expensive compared with other boots on the market
      • Brad
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 22, 2010
          Sophie,
          Sorry I've been so slow to get on this but I know its here and I'll get around to it early next week. Its been a busy time.
          Cheers,
          Brad

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 9, 2010
            Sophie,
            Sorry it took me so long to get to this but, as I mentioned, its been a busy time. It never helps when your files are at home and your html editor is a work though! Anyway, I looked through your edits and made them. A couple of the line breaks you mentioned I couldn't find in my code or when the file was opened in a browser. Take a look and tell me if you still see them. I looked at them in multiple browsers. Some of the other ones I did see. Thanks,
[...]

            My pair of Asolo 520 boots come in a standard boot box with few accessories other than paperwork for Gore-Tex and Vibram. The boots consist of one piece of leather on the uppers that wraps all the way round the back to the seam point.  The tongue is a separate piece of leather but no seams are clearly exposed.  Cleats are a standard system similar to that of the classic Vasque Sundowner with pulleys leading up to U-hooks. The boots are Gore-Tex lined.

            The boots are part of Asolo's backpacking line of products and can generally be assumed to be for people carrying significant loads of weight. Full grain leather provides stiffness through the upper ankle and I'm pretty sure no stiffeners are used in the ankle section. The soles are extremely rigid both laterally and longitudinally. The intent of the manufacture is for these boots to be worn by people on longer treks and those needing significant ankle support.

            Personal Experience

            I have worn these boots in many different conditions since I purchased them in 2006. I have worn them for over 100 days total since I purchased them. I've often hiked  as far as 15 miles (24 km)a day in them but often when I do field work I am walking less and  working/digging more. I have used them in extreme spring and summer weather in the mountains of the western U.S. and have never found them to leak. On numerous occasions (including recently during the passage of Hurricane Ida) I have used them to stand in streams less than 4 inches (~10 cm) deep for periods of up to an hour. During these periods I have never had wet feet. I often pair them with tall Outdoor Research gaiters and use them to cross snowfields.

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 11, 2010
              Hi Brad,
              No worries! Thanks for doing the edits. I use firefox and google chrome, I no longer see the line breaks within the text. There are some line breaks within sections but they don't affect the content so if you can't correct them no biggie I guess. I'll still point them out. Just a couple more edits, they take the same format as before:
              EDIT - must change
              Edit - suggested change
              Comment - just that!

              Cheers,
              Sophie

              > Weight: 240 lbs (108 kg)
              > Shoe Size: US 13 (EU 46)
              > E-mail Address:�bradley_g_johnsonAThotmailDOTcom
              Edit: An extra, blank line appears after each of these.

              > Backpacking Background:
              EDIT: This is a great description, but we have a word limit of 100 on this section. Please cut it down by 26 words.

              > Listed weight: 29 oz (820 grams) for size 8.5
              > Actual Weight: Size 13 (EU 46) 32 oz (~900 grams) which have been worn for two years
              Edit: Extra blank line between these 2.

              > My pair of Asolo 520 boots come in a standard boot box with few accessories other than paperwork for Gore-Tex and Vibram.
              EDIT: 'came' not 'come'

              > Personal Experience
              EDIT: Please can you separate this out into a 'Field Conditions' and a 'Personal Experience' or 'Review' section. This makes it easier for the reader to find the information that they are looking for quickly.

              >I've often hiked �as far as 15 miles (24 km)a day in them
              EDIT: you are missing a space between '(24 km)' and 'a'

              > 3) Cheap insoles
              > 4) Expensive compared with other boots on the market
              Edit: There is an extra line between these two.
            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2010
                SOPHIE - Brad Johnson(1) - Asolo TPS 520 Boots - Posted Nov 19(msg#78499), Taken Dec 3, Edit Dec 3(78564), Repost Dec 9, Edit Dec 20(78618), Repost Jan 5, Edit Jan 6(78640), TTO Jan 22, will repost soon, Repost Feb 9, Edit Feb 11(78810), Follow up Mar 5,

                Hi Brad,
                Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Sophie back on Feb 11. Please refer to message number 78810 at

                Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your editor and update the queue.

                Edit Administration Manager