OWNER REVIEW - THERM-A-REST NEOAIR

  • Steven M. Kidd
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2010
      THERM-A-REST NEOAIR MATTRESS

      BY STEVEN M. KIDD

      OR

      January 03, 2010

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Steven M. Kidd

      EMAIL: ftroop94@...

      AGE: 37

      LOCATION: Franklin, TN

      GENDER: 1

      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)

      WEIGHT: 220 lb (99.80 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25
      years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my
      20's while packing and average weight of 50+ lbs. In the last two years
      I've gained a renewed enthusiasm for the back country. I generally go on
      one or two night outings and now try to average a 30 lb pack.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "neoair" IMAGE CAPTION = "NeoAir in Stuff
      Sack">>

      Manufacturer: Therm-a-Rest (Cascade Designs)

      Year of Manufacture: 2009

      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://thermarest.com" LINK
      TEXT = "Therm-a-Rest Website">>

      MSRP: US$149.95

      Listed Weight:14 oz (410 g)

      Measured Weight: 14.3 oz (405 g)

      Size Tested: 20 in x 72 in x 2.5 in (51 cm x 183 cm x 6 cm)

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

      The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir is marketed as an ultra lightweight air mattress.
      It is part of the "Fast & Light" series produced by Cascade Designs. It has
      a 2.5 R-Value and is marketed to be three times warmer than other
      uninsulated pads. The NeoAir also stores at the size of a one liter bottle.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS:

      I read about the NeoAir in a magazine review that raved over the product.
      I've used a Therm-a-Rest Ultralite 3/4 pad or a REI Corelite pad for nearly
      a decade. The weight and packed size were what intrigued me about the
      product. They were virtually impossible to be found and on back order
      through most websites in the spring of 2009. On a stop at the local REI
      one happened to have been returned unused. I purchased the pad with my 20%
      member savings discount.

      Upon testing it at in doors it felt extremely thin and I was concerned about
      the durability. It took a great deal more effort than foam pads to inflate.
      It was like blowing up an inflatable for the pool. The bulk of my
      backpacking is done in the fall and winter, so I was concerned about R
      rating. With some concerns stored the mattress with my gear.

      FIELD USE

      My initial field use was on three day, two night trip in Cherokee National
      Forest near Lake Watauga, Tennessee along the Appalachian Trail from 21 - 23
      August 2009. The temperature during the day was in the between 75 F and 79
      F (23 C - 26 C). We were hiking throughout the majority of each day we
      didn't typically set camp until late afternoon. This alleviated the need to
      under inflate the pad as the manufacturer suggest when there is potential
      daytime warming.

      The first day of hiking consisted of an 1100 ft (335 m)climb and decent in
      less than one mile (1.61 km). After making camp and eating I was exhausted
      and made my way to bed. I was very careful to clear the area under my tent
      from twigs, nuts etc. as I was still concerned about the NeoAir's
      durability. I laid on the pad and immediately noticed how how comfortable
      and stable I felt. The 2.5 in (6 cm) thickness and the horizontal baffles
      worked wonders. It was the first time in a decade that I slept completely
      through the night without stirring or rearranging in the woods. I had
      purchased the NeoAir for weight and storage savings, but after the initial
      night's test believed the comfort was without a doubt the key selling point
      to this pad. When I did uninflate the pad and roll it, it took very little
      time. I pushed the air out with and initial roll, unrolled it and rolled
      the mattress once again. It disappeared in my older Therm-a-Rest Ultalite
      stuff sack.

      The second night we set camp right on Lake Watauga at 1959 feet (597 m),
      temperature conditions were similar to the first night. One of my
      backpacking buddies had a Therm-a-Rest Trail pad that he placed into a camp
      seat. I was and still would be concerned to do this with the NeoAir as the
      materials are so thin, however due to the terrain I had to set the tent and
      mattress up on numerous pebbles and small rocks. That evening a bear entered
      our camp and had a torrential downpour not started we may have never
      retreated to our tents. This evening adrenaline kept me from falling asleep
      quickly, but while laying awake for over an hour I again found the NeoAir an
      super comfortable rest pad. I had no noise issues with the pad.

      Winter Field Test:

      The NeoAir is not rated as a winter pad, but I wanted to test the limits of
      the pad. In October 2009 I had tested the pad at 36 F (2 C) and found it to
      be comfortable for me. I did notice that when I moved around during the
      night there was a coolness to the pad for a few minutes. I attribute this
      to the reflective nature of the mattress. At no time was I uncomfortable or
      cold.

      From 28 - 30 December 2009 I took the NeoAir on a true winter test on the
      Fiery Gizzard Trail in the South Cumberland State Park, Tennessee. The
      trail and campsites follow the rim of a gulf and are a fairly consistent
      1720 ft (524 m). Daytime temperatures hovered around freezing and evening
      temperatures on night one dropped to 21 F (-6 C) and 24 F (-4 C) on the
      second night. My tent was my usual REI Quarter Dome T2, and my sleeping bag
      was a Montbell UL SS #1. It is rated at 15 F (-9 C). I also used a silk bag
      liner that is rated to give an additional 7 F (13 C) in warmth and a pair of
      silk long underwear.

      During the two night test I was never cold. In fact I was comfortable and
      warm. My backpacking buddy who was also using a NeoAir for the first time
      and using similar equipment stated he was also comfortable, but he would not
      use the pad if it was expected to be any colder than the conditions we were
      in. By this trip I had purchased the correct stuff sack and the correct
      repair kit. It dissappears in my pack and the total weight with sack,
      repair kit and pad is 15 oz (425 g).

      SUMMARY

      Overall, I have been very impressed with the NeoAir. I purchased the
      sleeping pad with weight savings and smaller storage in mind. However,
      after using the pad in both warm and cold weather environments I have found
      the comfort level is the best selling feature for me. Even at a 20%
      discount I found the pad costly, yet of all the lightweight gear I've
      acquired over the last year I consider this the best value. I would prefer
      is Therm-a-Rest included the stuff sack and repair kit, as many competitors
      do with their products. The pad does require the "Fast & Light" series
      repair kit. I mentions this in the instructions, but not overtly. I could
      not find the kit at any local outdoor retailers and had to order it online
      where shipping was at a premium.

      As with most new ultralight gear I would recommend taking extra gentle
      precautions in handling and using. After a half dozen nights in varying
      conditions I would certainly recommend this product.

      THINGS I LIKE

      COMFORT

      Weight Savings

      Compactability

      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

      Cost

      Repair Kit & Stuff Sack not included

      SIGNATURE

      Steven M. Kidd

      Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2010

        If you'd like to keep track of the progress of your OR while it’s in the edit queue, the entire Owner Review Queue is posted to this yahoo group list on either Thursdays or Fridays.

        Edit Administration Manager